Sign in to follow this  
lablover

Gonna do some door knocking

I see business all the time with no hours of operation on the door etc.  Has anyone here just gone driving and maybe drop off a business card to these places and say give me a call if you need some signage.

I'm curious if one would bring any type of portfolio or something??

Any thoughts.  I remember awhile back a member said they did this...Cant remember who

Thanks Kids

Joe

My employer (I work for a sign and print shop) does this a lot with varying results. They usually do some kind of "giveaway" I guess? Like at the beginning of the year it was calenders and in a month or two it will probably be coupons. A lot of people don't have the time to look at a portfolio if you randomly pop it, but it doesn't hurt to maybe carry a tablet with you with some pictures or your website already good to show just in case someone has a minute to look.

• Like 1

I've got a question that kind of relates to this... How do you market vinyl to the "normal folks"? I am going to put a couple decals on my car and am wondering what will make sense. I was thinking "Vinyl Graphics" but that doesn't really make sense if you don't already know what vinyl (decals, stickers, signs etc) is used for.

I always carry business cards.  I also had some pens made.... every business needs pens!  My card has the little scan thing on the back for my business facebook page where they can go at their leisure and browse work I have done.  

If i pop into a place I think needs a business card, I always pass off a few pens too.  That helps stand out more than someone just passing a business card.

As for the store hours,  If your thinking about say an 8" x 10" or so list of hours on the front door, and it might be a business that needs other things, signs, shirts, hats etc..... maybe you could offer to do the hours sign for free with their first order.

I have been know to pop into local business here with an out of the blue freebie gift.  Sometimes like a coffee mug.  I just give them a line like " I just got this new set up and was playing around with it and made up some random mugs to check quality etc.  Instead of throwing it away I thought you might like it.  Make sure your card is in it and ....... a few pens   ;)

• Like 1

I stop and talk to a lot of people who are looking in need of a refurbish on their vehicle or office. If they have a NO SOLICITORS sign then I just make sure I am doing business with them when I bring it up. "You know I noticed your vehicle graphics are starting to look a little haggard. If you get ready to work those over let me give you a competitive bid."  My first commercial job that actually paid me (read that any way you want) was a couple cars at a flower shop that I was in buying anniversary flowers from at the time. 

• Like 1

I tried what wildgoose is suggesting once and it didn't go the way I had hoped. One of my local tobacco shops has ancient vinyl on their storefront window that is faded, majorly cracked and pealing. They also have a vintage cheesy plastic Newport sign with stick on block numbers for their hours hanging on the door glass. I frequent the shop twice each month and one day I gave the owner my card and a line and he said he'd keep it in mind. A few months later I said "hey when are you going to let me freshen up your storefront signage?" Surprisingly his response was "I kinda like that old look" As I walked out I thought 'yep it really compliments the 1/4" of dust on the shelves and the 100 yr old carpet that has never been shampooed let alone vacuumed.

Wrong business to target I guess :)

• Like 1

Ha ha! You DO stand the risk of offending someone who had their nephew do the work. 

Surprisingly his response was "I kinda like that old look"

This could be a niche. Try to recreate and sell old nostalgic signs.

I'm curious if one would bring any type of portfolio or something??

Joe

Make a sell-sheet that is very specific to the work you're going to propose. Maybe even do a mock-up with an actual picture of their storefront.

• Like 1

My regular business is lawn care and to find new jobs we just ride around looking for addresses. It easy to tell who needs lawn care just by looking at their lawn. One of the biggest hurdles to worthwhile advertising is eliminating prospects who probably don't need your services and wouldn't be receptive to your advertising. The goal of advertising is finding people who are ready, wiling and able to use and pay for your product or services. For lawn care we can eliminate most of the people who aren't ready just by looking at their lawn.

I think the same attitude can be applied to the signage business. As commercial signs are meant to be seen by the public it's just a matter of moving around in public to get an idea of who needs a sign(s).

"COMPUTER-CUT LETTERING" describes what I do.

I've got a question that kind of relates to this... How do you market vinyl to the "normal folks"? I am going to put a couple decals on my car and am wondering what will make sense. I was thinking "Vinyl Graphics" but that doesn't really make sense if you don't already know what vinyl (decals, stickers, signs etc) is used for.

In the olden days, it was Hand-Lettering.

Of course, today the entire industry has morphed from cut-vinyl into the PRINTING business.

If I see a sign that needs to be redone or window graphics that are cracked or peeling.

I write out a quote as if they asked for it.

I walk in and hand over the quote and ask them to call me if they need There sign redone

I spend no time in there.

I don't want to be in there face or bothering them to spend money.

Works about 30% of the time

• Like 1

When my dad was in the sealcoating business I use to go out and measure parking lots. Then we would just send them an estimate. That worked pretty good.