Sign in to follow this  
Kcross47601

LP2 Mid Cycle Stop

I've been having trouble with with a large 44" graphic I need to finish for a new bar opening.  If I cut it in a 20" setting, it will cut fine on regular Oracle 651.  The finished graphic is on more expensive 48" Oracle etched glass and already have had this issue twice and messed up the final product.  The machine stops cutting in the middle of the program when cutting the large 44" image. The laptop says it's sending to cutter and the LP2 says it's cutting. I started off using Sign Blazer and thought it was old software so converted it to SCALP4 and was able to dry run without a blade but in a live cut, it stopped.  Thought it was static electricty so rubbed the vinyl with dryer sheets and dry ran it again with N/G results. Seems to stop at different points when it does this.  I'm using a laptop hooked by USB to the cutter.  Maybe a Keyspan would help?  Anyone else ever heard of a mid cycle stop like this??  I work with CNC equipment and programs every day but this is not the high end Fanuc systems I usually deal with.  Thanks guys,  Kris

Kris,

I also have a LP2 (31.5") had a very similar issue when cutting larger files. I tried the drier sheet trick but that didn't always solve the problem. I bought a Keyspan adapter about 2 months ago, since then I haven't had another issue. It has defiantly paid for itself without wasting vinyl

Later Nick 

• Like 1

I agree with 88X- try the keyspan. Many budget cutters that stop mid job - were resolved with the keyspan. You can watch the little light blink as it sends data, when the cutter memory is full- it waits- then sends data again. You can even see the pause if using signblazer on the cutter and software.

I was thinking that it may also be a cutter memory issue since it seems to stop at different times, like it has a brain fart.  I'll go ahead and order a Keyspan on the USC site and see what happens.  Thanks guys, Kris

Also, the Lp2 I'm using is the 50" model.  Never had trouble when I used my smaller MH721 28".  Cutting the larger size and running out of memory does make sense.

probably not a memory issue if it runs the file all the way thru with a pen or without the blade inserted - that would lead me to think static but would also add the keyspan.  not sure the dryer sheet keeps static from building over the time it cuts that large of a file so I would make sure the stand is grounded to the cutter bottom - bare metal attachment points on the wire - no paint.  not sure if that model of cutter has plastic ends on the rollers that keep the charge from dissappating to ground that way too - or if it just builds till it discharges thru the cutter head

the statement that it runs all the way thru without the blade  in the holder sure sounds like static though and not memory related

• Like 2

It made a run all the way to the end without the blade only once.  I thought I had the problem lined out and tried to do a live cut this morning to have it fail again.  I've made 4 attempts without the blade in to save on vinyl and it stops at different points.  I've also already tried all the usual grounding methods other than static spray.  I'm not sure if the rollers have plastic ends either. I did try cutting a smaller image that is 20" and less detailed and it made it fine. Used cheaper white Oracle 651. Dakota, I think when I was typing the origional post this morning I was so aggrivated that I forgot a few things.  At $150.00 a 10yd roll, was not happy about wasting 4' of it.  In the past week, I've had 3 live cut failures so running low.  Deffinately going to lose money on this job but hope to live and learn from it so if I have future issues, I'll know what to do.  Kris

Static guard spray does do wonders if it is a static issue. I use it on my value cutter to keep it running and on the Q75 to keep from getting zapped from the statics charge.

Static guard spray does do wonders if it is a static issue. I use it on my value cutter to keep it running and on the Q75 to keep from getting zapped from the statics charge.

Jay, Do you spray the vinyl or just mist the cutter it's self with it?  I may have to pick some up this weekend.  What is a good one to use??  I remember back in the old days, mom would use Static Guard and the stuff smelled horriable  :-p

thinking if it is  doing it without the blade so no vinyl is touching the carriage parts etc then I would head toward the keyspan method.  must be failing in the communication.  as the value cutters use a usb emulation chipset instead of true usb (thinks cheap chipset internally converting the info to the serial part of the board) then it may very well be cured with the keyspan

• Like 1

I spray the cutter and the roll and sometimes myself. But I think you're going to find the keyspan adapter has a better shot at helping in your case.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys, I ordered the keyspan on USC site before work yesterday ( I work Nights), and it's scheduled for delivery today.  Gotta love the USC shipping Dept.  Hope to put this issue to rest this afternoon.  The weather here is suppose to be sunny and mid 50's Saturday so plan to install all the storefront that day so running out of time.  KC