Sign in to follow this  
SurberSigns

Installing lettering on a trailer

I have a job coming up on a 5x10 enclosed trailer and it will be getting lettering on both sides from top to bottom. What is the easiest way to install the vinyl over the rivet screws? Take them out?

Also dry is easier Id say as well, right?

Tape everything down into place after taking exact measurements, then when squeegeeing the letters when it comes to the screw heads should I use the heat gun?

No, you aren't going to remove rivets !!!

Use the heat gun and carefully squeegee around the rivet heads (in a circular motion).

But last time I did something like this, when I went around the rivit area the application tape would start to crinkle and cause wrinkles down the rest of the lettering...

Sould I do this in sections? Tape it down, then cut it off into sections?

What vinyl are you using. Hopefully 751 at the very least. The 751 or better will conform to the rivets with heat and allow you to work in around. And don't leave the app tape on.

Line up all your graphics. If there are multiple layers you might want to lay it out and position it to avoid as many rivets as possible. Then apply everything and remove the app paper and work each color around each rivet with a heat gone and squeegee or tennis ball. Do one color at a time obviously. 

I think this really is something that just comes with practice. 

• Like 1

You might want to invest in the "right tools for the job" as they say. There are specific tools for applying over rivets such as river brushes and rollers. I have heard good things about the RollePro.

You may also want to consider a steep discount on jobs like this until you get the hang of it. Could go a long ways on return business.

I haven't had any jobs with rivets yet but when the first ones do come along I won't charge for the install labor.

Screws out, rivets stay. I have seen both ways but most newer trailers I've run into are screwed.

I remove screws, I have over sized screws to go back in if striped (they have the same sized head so there is no difference). Then paint the screw heads the same color as the vinyl.

• Like 1

But if you remove the rivets, it will be smooth and the tape wouldn't cause creasing because of the rivet in place. after the vinyl is healed I could just screw it back in.

I am using 651 right now. Probably not the best decision for it? Luckily this is a friends trailer so he understands its not going to be perfection.

But if you remove the rivets, it will be smooth and the tape wouldn't cause creasing because of the rivet in place. after the vinyl is healed I could just screw it back in.

I am using 651 right now. Probably not the best decision for it? Luckily this is a friends trailer so he understands its not going to be perfection.

"By failing to plan, you plan to fail." -Unknown.

Just because it's a friend that's no reason not to use the proper material for the job.

THIS will be out on the streets as an example of your work...make it the best

you can.

18ixg79j5crmpjpg.jpg

Just my 2 cents...

Sue2

• Like 6

Oh for sure. But I have been using 651 for a long time now. On vehicles, trailers, windows etc. I didn't think there was a difference when using on a trailer.

I'm not using 651 just because hes a friend. I am just use to using it.

But as far as perfection, I meant around the rivets. That is my weakest area right now, but with the other side to do yet, I'm going to try and take out those rivets.

The 751 conforms better to the rivets. If you've never used it you'll never go back to 651 for high end long lasting jobs. It's a dream to work with.

So don't use 651 just to use it. Use 751 because it really is the right vinyl to use. You'll be happy you did.

• Like 1

Let's be clear here screws and rivet are 2 different things. Don't mess with rivets because they are just hardware store pop rivets. Screws I always pull the couple that end up in the way and as far as 651 I don't necessarily agree with everyone else on vehicle use as long as it doesn't have to conform to compound curves I use it quite a bit and I've had some out 6+ years that still look decent.

Let's be clear here screws and rivet are 2 different things. Don't mess with rivets because they are just hardware store pop rivets. Screws I always pull the couple that end up in the way and as far as 651 I don't necessarily agree with everyone else on vehicle use as long as it doesn't have to conform to compound curves I use it quite a bit and I've had some out 6+ years that still look decent.

did you mean the aren't hardware store

and I would be upset if anyone tried removing the rivets from my enclosed trailer for any reason

Yeah something like that lol. If it's not a screw don't mess with it or you will regret it later

• Like 1

The problem with the 651 isn't going to be getting it to conform to the rivets or screw heads.

The 651 will conform beautifully over the protrusions with a little heat when applied, but,

stretching calendered vinyl over the protrusions will most likely shrink back (material memory) in time and 'tent' over them.

751 is a cast product and doesn't have near as severe 'material memory' when stretched and will retain it's new shape better.

Lots of you know this just no one has mentioned it.

It's all good and I have seen the occasional riveted trailer although you see rivets more with box vans.