julie77

Coreldraw x6 or x7

I posted before about not being able to access all of the glyphs within a font but still don't have any real clear answers other than the version I have doesn't support these features.  I have CorelDraw x4 which cannot access all of them...

Looking to upgrade now, but don't really want to spend a ton of money to purchase x7 if x6 will do...

Is there anyone here that is using x6 that can confirm that you can for sure 100% access all the glyphs within a font with this version ?

I need to be able to get everything like ;  swashes, stylistic alternates etc..

Anyone have any info to help out on this would be very much appreciated.

Have you tried using the insert character option? You should be able to see all glyphs and double click to insert into your text.

Have you tried control/F11  this should give you access to  everything within that particular font.

Tried both ways, and only part of the fonts show up.  None of the fancy ones that I'm after ..

You should try other software like Inkscape or a word processor and make sure it is not a system wide issue as fonts are handled by the system.  If you can name the font and the glyph I could check it on X7, if I have the font handy.  I do not have X6 installed atm.  

X6 is approaching two years behind X7.   I would consider carefully how much that discount for X6 will be worth.  You could wind up two years out with no updates coming, though X6 will still be supported for awhile they will have to stop at some point.  I am using the subscription, so I pay yearly.  It is more costly, but I had been thinking of dropping for Adobe or even Inkscape at some point and wanted to be able to drop it if need be.  The subscription lets me use X6 or X7 and I was worried a little about version gotcha's.

You could also try the Character Map program that comes with Windows.  If that fails, nothing is going to see the data.  Maybe you have some Unicode issue, or a localization problem, I wouldn't be sure beyond character map not working.

• Like 1

In X7 you can access the contextual alternatives:  http://corel.force.com/learn/articles/en_US/Master_Article/000015374-Typography-in-CorelDRAW-X6?&source=kba&topicCategory=Discovery_Center_Tutorial

Somehow I did this also in Inkscape setting the range under glyph to Basic Latin.  I am less sure how it works there.

There should be a way to get to this via windows character map, but I can't figure it out.

Unless I misunderstand the problem, I just used the 'Select' &  'Copy' functions in the character map and

pasted any glyph or variations into Inkscape and several other programs...   ¥‡œç¶ÿ

As dcB mentioned, just be sure the font set is ~installed~ in windows.

There is also a keystroke shortcut indicated when selecting a glyph.

In open type the contextual alternatives don't show in the character map glyph menu.  The contextual alternatives don't show in the standard glyph list.

In Adobe products there is a contextual alternatives option under Open Type to see them.  In CorelDraw there is a drop down menu on the character itself, (at least in X7.)   In Inkscape, I was able to get to the set in question via changing the range of the glyph to Basic Latin.

Here is a couple of pictures as links, they are too large to put inline.  Shrinking them I think would lessen the details too much.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34207516/contexual%20alternatives.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34207516/contexual%20alternatives%20inkscape.png

Found an Adobe picture online:

http://help.fontshop.com/attachments/token/091au9xhypqgjmu/?name=OTglyphs_PSD.jpg