Sign in to follow this  
racert25

Printer for heat transfers

What printer is good for this? I have read pigment inks are better then the sublimation printers. I would assume 10x 17 is best. 

Anyone have info on how much per print it would cost if i had my own equipment. 

At our races people buy shirts with the boat designed on the back. Some teams cant afford the 100+ sublimation run so i am thinking if this would be just as good quality i could offer less quantity runs. 

You need to determine which process you are actually looking for. Sublimation is different than transfers as it actually gasses INTO the fabric of the shirt but needs high polyester content because it doesn't work on cotton. I don't do sublimation YET but will one of these days.  In my experience I would definitely recommend a large format machine. Costs a little more up front but you aren't kicking yourself later. (what I did). Do a little research on the differences between the two. Google is your friend and you tube. 

You need to determine which process you are actually looking for. Sublimation is different than transfers as it actually gasses INTO the fabric of the shirt but needs high polyester content because it doesn't work on cotton. I don't do sublimation YET but will one of these days.  In my experience I would definitely recommend a large format machine. Costs a little more up front but you aren't kicking yourself later. (what I did). Do a little research on the differences between the two. Google is your friend and you tube. 

You can sub onto cotton, just gotta use chromablast ink; which means a separate printer setup. Can't swap inks.

You can sub onto cotton, just gotta use chromablast ink; which means a separate printer setup. Can't swap inks.

chromablast actually has a carrier sheet and transfers more than just he ink - I think that is why they didn't call it sublimation ;)

• Like 1

Anyone know about the heat transfers with jet pro soft stretch? From what I have read some people say it's good some people say they are not durable. I am looking for something to print shirts that will last 2-3 years minimum.

I don't know if there is a minimum life expectancy. How often are they worn? If they get washed every other day it's not going to make it. JPSS is super resilient and lasts great if applied correctly. I have a few shirts that have lasted for many years. I think its's by far the best transfer option for light shirts. 

• Like 1

I'm thinking teams that will buy from me will have multiples to wear. So maybe one shirt will be worn 20 times a year. I believe if I price them right I can add a lot of sales to my graphics business. But i also dont want to put out a product that goes bad in a couple months. I am thinking a 10x17 printer is good but not sure which model. Any recommendations?

You need to get someone to make you a jpss shirt before you go out and venture into that market. I personally have found most customers feel they are a cheap alternative for custom shirt but I would never try to promote them as high end shirts.

• Like 1

I agree with Jay. I promote them as a commercial grade transfer as an alternative to the garbage that anyone with a basic printer and a hand iron can do from the Avery products at Walmart. Be sure to mention the pigment ink etc... But at the end of the day the are about the cheapest thing available. I sell the most to high school kids. 

• Like 1

I agree with Jay. I promote them as a commercial grade transfer as an alternative to the garbage that anyone with a basic printer and a hand iron can do from the Avery products at Walmart. Be sure to mention the pigment ink etc... But at the end of the day the are about the cheapest thing available. I sell the most to high school kids. 

Just curious...What do you all sell these full color t-shirts for on average?

I don't offer these now because I haven't had time to work on a decent

quality image output.

One side

1-3

5-8

10 & up

Thanks,

Sue2

• Like 1

The kids seem to want to bring their own shirts and I charge those guys between $4 to $6 each depending mostly on how much effort I may have in getting the graphic ready to print. If I am supplying the shirt too then I usually offer the shirt for about $5 for one off work and much lower if in volume. On the shirt alone I try to clear 30% or a dollar whichever is greater. The transfers are pretty cheap too so it's pretty easy money. 

For color output I have had wonderful success with Cobra Ink profiles in my 7610 printer. Some things people want you to print are a pain and I have had to spend time working them over to get lighter pics or on occasion re-draw a specific graphic into a vector to enlarge it and re-color, etc...

I'm looking to replace my WF1100 with the WF7620 and the refillable cartridges.

We don't use the printer every day and I'm tired of the ink lines plugging up....

Plus I like the scanner availability on the 7620.

Sue2

I get $5 on jpss and $6 on the 3G. On white up to xl I get $9 and on color I get $12. I have zero problems getting that price and might go up this spring, just before they start ordering for family reunions.

• Like 1

Yea. That is what I was worried about is bad quality. I am thinking to scrap this idea. It may be more of a head ache then what it's worth. Any other alternatives to do one off or low quantity shirts?

I would highly recommend Ace Transfer Company if you decide to get some plastisol transfers made.  I have used them for several years and have had very few problems with them!

www.acetransco.com

Their pricing is based on sheet size, # of colors, and quantity.  You can save money by ganging together smaller designs on the same sheet!

I would prefer sublimation over all. you can get shirts from vapor that feel like cotton. I have even seen and use these shirt that are 100% poly on the outside and cotton on the inside. and I would also get a printer thats 13x19 cause when you get orders for 2,3,4,5x you will be happy you can extend the design.