Ravenwind / One Off Grafx

Feed back please

Doing a sign for a friend he likes simple.  I feel it is too busy the sign is 4' x4'. the sign is along the road out front of his shop.  The biggest i could go is 4'x6' but have a scrap of 4x4 from a old sign protect. I would like any input you can throw out there.

post-19735-0-34487100-1417044038_thumb.j

I would make the font that is above and below the  number Arial bold. 

I would also slide the towing and repair away from the & sign, the k and the d look like they are just floating there

• 24 HR. TOWING
  • Added a tow truck  (does he only have a snatch truck, or does he also use a rollback?)
  • Placed the company name 'logo' into a frame.
  • The 'AAA' symbol is important.
  • That cell phone number is probably more useful to reach a tow driver than the office #.

This is what I came up with --

post-21408-0-21118800-1417053226_thumb.j

K&D.SBD

• Like 2

the K&D is how all his cards and other forms are set up. here is a pic of the card.

you can show him one done his way but it doesn't stop you from showing how nice it can look and possibly get other business redoing the logo he made on MS Word . . . . great opportunity for an upsell

• Like 5

I agree with Dakota. Simple is fine but he needs some style. You really should talk him into a new design all around. Business cards are cheap and the rest will follow. Give him a new image and he will more than likely see the light.

• Like 2

That is cleaner looking Slice

Thanks.

I didn't want to mess with the appearance of his KD 'logo' -- I just tightened-up the K and D and moved them closer towards the line towing & repairs (not sure if it should be 'repair' or 'repairs' but I prefer repairs, it sounds more all-encompassing).  Also, I left the text as lowercase, since he's got that on the card. It's looks OK that way, actually.

The very concept of "talking a guy into a new design" is opening a whole can of worms.

That's fine, if you are going fishin' with 'em and have the patience for it.

• Like 1

I know it's not proper English but capitalize every word it is easier to read, the town I used to live in changed ALL the street signs to this method it's based on a university study don't ask which one it was a while ago.

Towing & Repair

Light to Heavy Duty Towing & Service 

I know it's not proper English but capitalize every word it is easier to read, the town I used to live in changed ALL the street signs to this method it's based on a university study don't ask which one it was a while ago.

Towing & Repair

Light to Heavy Duty Towing & Service 

All street signs have to be changed over to that criteria as they are replaced now. I think I read the law goes back to the Bush era and just kicked in the last couple years.

• Like 1

The very concept of "talking a guy into a new design" is opening a whole can of worms.

That's fine, if you are going fishin' with 'em and have the patience for it.

Yeah he is stuck in his ways. If i get out there I will get a pic of what his idea of a sign is. I will say it is a sheet of OSB chipboard painted faintly silver with faint transparent red letters and at 10 feet you can hardly read it.

All street signs have to be changed over to that criteria as they are replaced now. I think I read the law goes back to the Bush era and just kicked in the last couple years.

I bet it was a sign guy that made the law  lol

• Like 1

Thank you  for the feed back. Wanting the sign to be sort of a present for Xmass. was going to hang it while he was away on a tow while i had to watch the shop for him and take other calls. I like the  look of yours Slice, just need to add in the light to heavy and think they know they are in thompson falls  but add the address there instead. hopefully i can get a good design and painted before xmass.

I think you are right, they adopted the MUTCD everywhere now. Incidentally I got some work in my town because the city made all the businesses have 10" minimum address lettering and I snagged a couple shops in my area. 

One off, I think I would also recommend giving him a preview of what he wants and throw out a hybrid option. I do this kind of thing a lot and sometimes it works. I usually present it in such a way as to not offend them for their original look. Offer to throw in the design time if he can swing a shirt order or letter his truck etc...

Thank you  for the feed back. Wanting the sign to be sort of a present for Xmass. was going to hang it while he was away on a tow while i had to watch the shop for him and take other calls. I like the  look of yours Slice, just need to add in the light to heavy and think they know they are in thompson falls  but add the address there instead. hopefully i can get a good design and painted before xmass.

You are most welcome.

This going to be a hand-painted sign? I hadn't realized anyone still did that. This is primarily a computer-cut-vinyl forum, so I figured that's the way you'll make it.

NOTE: Why add "light to heavy duty"? Unless he has a truck like THIS  ----

hdutytrucklg.jpg

I watched a video with a gal who hand lettered trucks and she was absolutely amazing. Just ho-hum no biggie and BAM there's a cool looking hand painted flowing letter job. I have very poor hand control. Tried a tablet and quickly discovered that I'm not talented that way.