fokkerdmr

SB - the software I hate to love and love to hate (Windows 8.1)

It's old by software standards, I guess is no longer being updated, but I've been using it for a few years so I can knock out most any design pretty quickly.  But, I had to do the Windows 8 driver trick to get it working, but my computer updated to Windows 8.1 automatically last night.  Now, every cut (or just moving to Max position) crashes SB.  Does anyone have SignBlazer running successfully with an MH MK2 on Windows 8.1?  If so, what's the trick?

Just thought I'd check before I burn up hours trying to troubleshoot the software once again.

Just a suggestion, but try reinstalling SBE.

You are dealing with a software application that was coded for Windows in the last century.

There is no way that it will remain stable in every new Windows iteration from here on out.

This may have been a topic of conversation earlier, but having only been her for about a year I will be the kicking boy and ask the question anyway.

I realize the developer of SB passed away several years ago. It seems that since that time, there have been lots of folks who have found a way to modify the .exe file to permit using it without having to enter an unlock code - don't have a problem with that, sometimes you have to do what you have to do. I enjoy using SB and often will fire it up before any other app I have available just because it works, it's easy to use and the user base and support base here is quite extensive.  But, has anyone contacted the developer's wife/estate to see if the original code can be obtained so we can bring it up to the 21st century???

It's sad on two fronts - first because such a talented individual was taken from our midst, and second, that the work he obviously put so much time, effort, and care into will just wither and die because operating systems continue to change.....just sayin'

-DON-

At one point I had heard something where there was something owed to Australia? by way of taxes or something but I could be mixing this with something else too. Memory gets worse the older I get.

The tax man can do some real UGLY stuff to folks - even after they've died!

A shame...a real shame.

Don,  since you've kindly volunteered to go deeper into this story of the SignBlazer legacy, maybe give Mr. O'Brien a call overseas  and have a little chat with him --- 61 7 33933360.

I'm sure there are others here on these Forums who would like to know whatever you find out.

It's kinda a mystery and if you're willing to be our detective, that will be appreciated.

Uninstall/re-install doesn't fix the problem.  Reboot, etc, same.  Tried Compatibility Settings - to XP, no change. 

Sigh.  Dead in the water.  Frustrating.

Yes, if we could end up getting the source to SB, it would be great to at least fix up some of these nits.

This may have been a topic of conversation earlier, but having only been her for about a year I will be the kicking boy and ask the question anyway.

I realize the developer of SB passed away several years ago. It seems that since that time, there have been lots of folks who have found a way to modify the .exe file to permit using it without having to enter an unlock code - don't have a problem with that, sometimes you have to do what you have to do. I enjoy using SB and often will fire it up before any other app I have available just because it works, it's easy to use and the user base and support base here is quite extensive.  But, has anyone contacted the developer's wife/estate to see if the original code can be obtained so we can bring it up to the 21st century???

It's sad on two fronts - first because such a talented individual was taken from our midst, and second, that the work he obviously put so much time, effort, and care into will just wither and die because operating systems continue to change.....just sayin'

-DON-

Don,

I have often wondered about this myself.

Should you take this project on, I am sure you would have the support,

help and assistance of the many computer gurus/geeks on this forum.

Plus sideline cheering from the rest of us!

Sue2

Uninstall/re-install doesn't fix the problem.  Reboot, etc, same.  Tried Compatibility Settings - to XP, no change. 

Sigh.  Dead in the water.  Frustrating.

Yes, if we could end up getting the source to SB, it would be great to at least fix up some of these nits.

Might just be a quicker fix to buy an older XP machine.  Can be had most times for under $100 shipped on the big auction site..  You don't need a new fancy computer to run a vinyl cutter.  I have stayed back on an XP since 2006... Never have problems..

• Like 1

Might just be a quicker fix to buy an older XP machine.  Can be had most times for under $100 shipped on the big auction site..  You don't need a new fancy computer to run a vinyl cutter.  I have stayed back on an XP since 2006... Never have problems..

I was also going to suggest this route.

My MH mini is hooked up to a $45 Dell XP laptop with a serial port.

post-21408-0-84471000-1416680701_thumb.j

Yep, thing is, I've already done this once.  So, buying another computer would be "dedicated vinyl cutter printer #2".  I thought that I'd be able to stay on Windows 8 without ever going to 8.1, but alas, that was not the case.  So, I will probably just go back to Windows 8 and turn off Windows update.  I don't like the security risks of doing so, but it's probably the only way.  I could go back to Windows 7 as well.  But, more than anything the it's the principle of buying an old computer and OS to support SB. 

Have you tried running SB in compatibility mode? If you right click on the.exe file - not the shortcut - the should be an option "run this program in XP mode" or wording to that effect. Supposedly Windows will then use memory and exection methods similar to XP.

The basic underlying operating principle of a plotter/cutter is derived from the Hewlett-Packard Graphic Language that handled vector points. HP machines started using HPGL back in the late 1950's.

Jerry Bonham took his knowledge of vector coordinates and computer programming to the next level, and the end result was SignBlazer.

When I sit here using that application, I'm in awe of what he put together for this vinyl-cutting community.

I hope Don takes up the challenge and tries to communicate with Mike O'Brien.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Edited to add:

Don, there is no "XP" option in the Compatibility choices (right-clicking on sbnt.exe icon and choosing Properties)

However, there is Win95, Win98, and Win NT and WIN2000.

I would be inclined to think WinNT is close to XP?

I Would think so. I don't have a Win-8 machine, so i was relying on what I saw in my Windows 7. Since NT was the closest release, I would give it a shot!

Edited to add:

Don, there is no "XP" option in the Compatibility choices (right-clicking on sbnt.exe icon and choosing Properties)

However, there is Win95, Win98, and Win NT and WIN2000.

I would be inclined to think WinNT is close to XP?

Are you going to Sign Blazer properties after right clicking?  Then Compatiblity?  When I do, on windows 7 It has everything from 95 on up to Windows 7...   My version is downloaded from the UScutter .com support>  downloads

Yes, that's correct. I have a XP option there to choose from. (I run SB in normal Windows 7 - no emulation.) I am wondering if running in WinNT emulator mode if that would resolve the issues you're having...

Yeah *slaps forehad*  of course my system (XP) won't offer "Comaptibility" for XP since it actually is the OS running.

We gotta get that fokker flying again!!

Yeah *slaps forehad*  of course my system (XP) won't offer "Comaptibility" for XP since it actually is the OS running.

We gotta get that fokker flying again!!

Oh.  I thought maybe you had a newer computer also.    Yep.  good reason....

Hi everyone,

I've been here for years, just have not posted in quite a while. I have two of the refine cutters, have had them about 6-7 years. Also, I have a silhouette.

Hopefully I can help out once in a while and maybe get some help too!

Nack to cutting!

I mean "back" to cutting. Oops!

Nack to cutting, and doing it much more efficiently! Hopefully the driver I installed will work!