I didn't see anything useful during a quick forum search, but I was wondering if anyone has bought/made anything that helps manage/organize their remnants by size and color. I have a lot of useable vinyl that ends up sitting in a semi-neat pile next to my cutter, and I'm starting to worry about pieces getting bent, wrinkled or otherwise becoming unusable. Space is at a bit of a premium. Most of my remnants are generally under 13" wide by 36" long. I'm tempted to try and find something like what they use to store posterboard at stores, but am also a fairly capable craftsman, especially if it will save me some $$. 

Any ideas? I have 25 colors that I stock, and would love to keep to the 13x36 footprint, as space is definitely becoming a premium at my home workshop. Thanks! 

my larger pieces usually get rolled up and put in the ends of the rolls they came off of to use later. The smaller scraps are in a pile next to the cutter.  

I thought about a garage bin system like this for my scraps....color coordinate so I don't have to dig and potential pass over a useful piece. Its a little more than I would pay probably just buy however many bins I would want and get/build an inexpensive shelf.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200391880_200391880

I cut the top long panel off of the 24" x 50 yd roll card board boxes of vinyl  and  48" application tape boxes.  I measure my scraps and write on the outside, and roll up the scrap with the vinyl on the inside and stand up in the long boxes.. Pretty easy to see by color..

If you use 3" shipping tubes from Uline, the boxes can be cut in half and make pretty good storage boxes. Cut strips of paper to wrap and tape around rolled up scrap pieces.

All good ideas! =)

I'll have to mess around with what I've got and see what will work best. Thanks for the replies and keep em coming!   

Larger pieces I put inside the roll....small pieces and weeded out circles, triangles, etc

get DONATED to the local nursery-pre-school....they love them! 

And I get a small write-off....

Sue2

wow I wish I had the time to be that organized!

I would keep lots of scrap when I first started out. 

Now I throw it out endless its a large piece 

I definitely had to make time.  I've got around 450 pieces I need to get out in just over a week. =)

I just pile up scraps now and plan on organizing them on the shelf at the end of the week. It's already sped up using the remnants for orders. No more digging and having to clean up. 

• Like 1