PhaedrusZen

Shredded letters... =/

I'm  almost done with an order, 86 pieces total of 4 different types. I'm finishing up with the white peices, and my machine started shredding letters on a particular design. I've already cut 13 of the same design, so I know it's not an SVG error or something.

I first tried switching settings, slowing the machine down from 750 to 600 mm/s. Still did it, so I cut a different design, with no problems. Cut the problem design again and it screwed up again. I pulled the blade and checked the depth which was good, and increased the pressure a bit, to 75 g. Still no dice. It seems to be screwing up on the same spots of the design each time. I've got about 250 yards on the blade (on the entire machine, actually; it's brand new). I'm not getting fuzzed cuts or split ends, so I really don't think the blade has crapped out, plus I've read on these forums that blades should/could last 6-12 months. The cutter seems to be catching on the edges of certain letters in the design, and even pulls a few letters right out. The letters are about two inches tall, so not too terribly detailed. 

Any ideas? I'm always up against multiple deadlines and need to try to get this figured out... I've already wasted about 4-5 yards, so it's really starting to irk me. Test cuts come out clean, as do other designs, as I mentioned.  :-\

Edited by PhaedrusZen

Really sounds like a file issue, but you said some came out fine. Maybe check the cutting strip for damage where things are hanging.

Post the file. wouldn't hurt to have someone double check either.

Take your blade out and check for any bits of vinyl caught in it. Add a drop of thin oil like 3 in one oil to the holder and wipe the blade down with alcohol to remove any adhesive. This might help,

The cheaper blades oby last a few weeks for me. Might be worth swapping out if you gave a spare. If you don't you do should really get some.

The blades these machines come with are not of the best quality, buy a good blade, either Graphtech, Roland , Cleen Cut, or something close. It sounds like the blade may be getting dull.

also I have noticed that with Oracal, different colors cut and weed differently, and within the same type of vinyl. what vinyl are you using and is it the same for all of the order?

Really appreciate the replies and ideas! 

My cutter has a Roland 45 degree blade in it. The cutting strip is super clean, and I've never run off the vinyl, so it shouldn't be dinged up or anything. The vinyl is cutting through cleanly, with just a faint mark in the backing paper. I checked the pinch rollers just in case that was contributing, but I didn't see anything unusual there. 

I use all Oracal 631. All my problems were with a 50 yard roll of white. I tried cutting the same design with a different color, and had no issues at all. I finally got the white cut out, but that was after sitting right in front of the cutter with a pick and pressing down each letter as it got stuck or shifted from the blade. Nasty to weed. I cut two more designs out of the white after that, and they cut, no problems. So stumped. 

Crisis averted for now, but I'm really hoping this doesn't happen again, and can't figure out why it did what it did. If I see it again, I'll definitely try pulling the blade to clean it and oil it a bit. 

I uploaded the file for those of you that were curious, complete with the weeding lines I was using. It would catch on a variety of the smaller letters, with no issues ever on the "Love Story". The V and Y in "Every" would catch or tear really bad each time, with the other letters causing problems at random. 

Thanks again so much for the replies. I'll keep you posted if this happens again. Aside from the occasional errant weeding line, I've been really happy with the Titan 2 and SCALP combo, but this issue cost me probably 6-7 yards in material, an hour or two of wasted time and a lot of frustration! (Especially at 2 am...)  

Trouble File.svg

If it only cuts badly with that vinyl....logic says the problem is either the vinyl or the settings. Not the machine.

• Like 1

I'm relatively new to this whole experience, so I'm still learning. Is it possible to just get bad vinyl that doesn't stick to the backing paper like it should? If so, how often does that happen. It's still weird that it would cut some designs fine, but not others, all on the same roll of white. 

Go-C, it's showing welded on my file. Maybe it just dropped the setting when I exported it as an svg to upload? I do need to keep an eye out for that though. As for font choices, I don't design them, I just cut and ship them. =) 

** Just to cover bases, I've been prefeeding  all my cuts too, so it's not screwing up the cut from having to pull on a 50 yard roll...  ;)

The gremlins started on.me last month. They must like me.

File looked do-able to me except as mentioned the letters were not welded together which would chop up your script font. 2 inches is pretty minimal for that fine script but it should still work out fine on a titan 2 I would think. Have you cut other things since the mess that have went ok? Some vinyl is more touchy. I would slow the cutter down to around 200 mm/sec for smaller stuff like that personally.  

QUOTE> " it's showing welded on my file."

I believe some is showing welded and others, not, because there is a 'stroke' around the text.

This may not be the problem but it can cause issues with some cutting software.

Viewed with Inkscape & SignCut.

I realize this is a crazy old post, but I didn't see a need to create a new thread for this update. 

Switched from a Titan 2 to a Graphtec since my original problem, and I had a very similar occurrence yesterday and today, so I did what someone else suggested and pulled the blade holder out. It looked good, with  no visible problems, but I cleaned the surface that contacts the vinyl near the blade with rubbing alcohol really well. Popped it back in and the next few cuts have been nice and clean again.

Cheers!  

I hope you don't mind me asking but, what was the reason that you changed from the Titan to a Graphtec?

Donn

Major meltdown of my machine. It was great when it worked, but I had tried replacing the IO board and the motherboard with no improvements once it did start having issues. (It was stopping mid-cut and telling my PC it was completed, and this was multiple times a day, so I was wasting literally yards of vinyl on aborted decal cuts.)

USCutter worked with me to try to resolve it (Their customer service was awesome on all levels), but when it was clear I had to return it for a warranty replacement, I asked if I could just pony up the cash to pay the difference on a better machine plus a little bit more for the service/return hassle. While the Graphtec was definitely a challenge to set up, especially after coming from a plug-n-play machine like the Titan 2, I'm liking it so far. 

I just went through a similar experience with my Titan 2, had it for 9 months then a month ago it started acting up. Got a replacement from USCutter still not right, did the same thing, they let me upgrad to a Graphtech.

Even though its not as simple as the uscutter, after 2 weeks with it I have gotten to the point where I can cut faster with it now.  I have yet to have a single piece of vinyl lift off the backing while cutting text less than 1/8".

• Like 1