Monkey

Siser Glitter

What is the secret? I attempted Siser glitter today. Didnt go well at all. First attempt I thought blade was set right but barely scored it....trash can. 2nd attempt after setting blade right, it cut it what seemed nice and through, but when peeling it pulled up in some spots and seemed to tear like wet paper. Luckily it was for a hoodie my wife wanted me to make her, and not a real customer. Which is why it was something for her, hoping to figure it out. I only bought 2' of it to play around with and well....its basically all in the circular file. Was a bit upset I ordered Black Silver and got regular Silver instead but seems to be the norm lately with orders.

Did you use a 60 degree blade to cut it?

I did a lot of test cuts the first time I cut glitter flake from Stahls.

I got some to try also. I noticed it felt about as thick as some reflective I had and cut it like it was the same thing. Raised the pressure an indicated 40g and did 2 passes, it came out with no problems. Probably could of used a bit less pressure. 60 degree blade.

How detailed is your design? I mostly used glitter flake with thick designs and tried to stay away from anything with thin strips or thin sharp angled pieces.

It was a pain for me to weed cause the cut lines were hard to see. I do have better lighting now but haven't cut any in a while.

What kind of cutter are you using Monkey? I have never had good luck cutting glitter with Clean Cuts, for what ever reason i don't know, but I use some cheap chinese blades, however i don't know what brand they are, as my supplier won't tell me. But they work for me. I cut 99.99% of glitter, probably 1000 feet or more a month. I can cut some pretty small detail stuff with it no problems. Maybe put your file on here or pm me and i'll try to cut it if you like. But first let's start with your machine.

Mike

I got some carbon fiber HTV that I couldn't cut. I was using a clean cut 60*.   I played with is for 20 min and gave up.   

The next day I switched to a 45* I had and reset everything.  This time I was able to get it to cut without a problem.  

I don't know if switching from a 60* to a 45* made the difference but it worked for me.   I read the direction for the HTV and it said to cut it with a 35* blade.  

I would check your pressure.  My experience with glitter is it requires more pressure.  Might want to slow the speed down a tad too.... I always use 60 deg blades.

I just did a whole mess of Cheerleader parent hoodies and other than dialing way up on pressure had no issues. I used my monster Summa 60deg blade because I didn't want to wear out my fairly new clean cut 60. I cut regular HTV around 65g and was at 150 by the time I got it cutting clean. Once I got it there then no issues although the stuff isn't very tough so you really have to watch the real extreme angles or you can  rip it weeding. Notice it's not called Siser Easyweed Glitter just Siser Glitter. LOL It sure does make things go POP though. In typical fashion once the original order went out and the other parents say the product there came another whole order for more. I ordered a lit of extra because that almost always happens. 

I cut glitter flake on my graphtec with 2 passes, pressure 23 and speed 10 with a cleancut 60* with no problems. My blade is adjusted so you can see the cut lines.

Have any of you used siser video flex glitter? More like silver speckled but it fits like regular siser and is a lot cheaper than regular glitter. I sell a fair amount of it here.

• Like 1

Have any of you used siser video flex glitter? More like silver speckled but it fits like regular siser and is a lot cheaper than regular glitter. I sell a fair amount of it here.

I've got a roll of that - pink with silver fleck - that I bought off of a forum member - it cuts just like regular Siser and hasn't given me any problems.

My sister-in-law bought a pack of Cricut brand glitter HTV and asked me to cut it for her and that stuff was horrendous to work with.  When it was done, I told her never to bring me that stuff again.  It was tough to cut, tough to weed, easy to tear, etc. 

I've got the pink, red, silver, gold and blue so far. It's so easy to work with

Im using a SC. I have a small piece left so may try bumping pressure up. Its not a super detailed piece of the image. I used black easyweed to get it done. I might give videoflex glitter a try. I was just wanting to try something different to push. I think Ill like the videoflex a bit better as the regular glitter doesnt seem like it will last long before its all flaked off.

• Like 1

If your looking for some great looking glitter that pops and gets peoples attention, look at Glitter Flex Ultra.  I get mine from Specialty Materials Company.  Now, this stuff is thick and takes a ton of down force for sure, but..... Once I used it the girls around here went nuts.  My little sample of one color turned into an order of 8 rolls of different colors!

• Like 1

looks REALLY good...is that regular glitter or the videoflex glitter?

• Like 1

That is the regular Siser Glitter in purple. Used the flash so some sparkle would show up.

Darn it, now gonna make me try it again lol. Guess next order Ill throw a couple of feet in again.

It works good, just go with too much pressure and back it off. If it doesn't cut perfect the first try you can not save it.

Yeah my pressure was at 30 like normal, Ill bump it up to 40 and see what it does. I have a little left I may try ti tomorrow after I fill some orders. Sucks my order said out for delivery today....but then later in the day tracking changed to "On truck to be delivered next business day" so my plans on cutting a bunch of HTV tomorrow has been changed. Have a 25 shirt order I was hoping to do tomorrow but....not now. So now just a banner and a couple 3 color decals and maybe a last ride on the bike for the year.

The Siser glitter and the glitter I got from Specialty Materials are two TOTALLY DIFFERENT PRODUCTS!  Now, the glitter from SM may be Siser.... I don't know.... but there is no comparing the 2!  The SM glitter is WAY better.

The Siser, once installed, appears to have like a clear coating over it.  Like a protective coating.... to me it kinda dulls the sparkle of the glitter.  It is also a thinner material to cut.  This other stuff from Specialty Materials, you can actually touch and feel the glitter.  It sparkles like crazy and there is no coating on it.  In the same line of vinyl the also have a peel and stick version.  I have been using these for car window decals.  The silver glitter and the gold..... I cut the school logo so folks can put them on their cars.  They love it!  Those two colors seem to pop the best off of tinted glass (which everyone here in Texas has...LOL)