Sign in to follow this  
Capt'n Morgan

Starting Up A New Buisness Cost and Profitability

I am no Virgin in Business  as I am an HVAC Contractor and owned and operated a business for 10 years before (as I tell people) getting a real job and working for my local County and decided to chase a Pension. As it stands it worked out well for me as I retire in just less than two months.  I invested in this business for my Wife and I guess myself in hopes of keeping us busy and maybe to make a few Sheckle's $$.  I started this business without knowing Jack Diddley about it I mean ZERO Nadda. In doing so, there is an increased learning curve in not only what to do in every aspect  of the business which  includes learning software & design,  equipment operation, materials... what works and for what which is including building Inventory. It seems I have spent every buck we have made the past three months Increasing  our inventory. In our plans What we are doing or will be doing  is Glass Etching, Decals Outdoor and Indoor Wall Art, Sublimation of Coffee Mugs and T Shirts.  As we know it takes a lot of Inventory to have what you need to sell what people want and I am sure there are some mistakes to be made along the way (all part of the learning curve.

My questions are this.

1. What is a Good number $$$ for starting up a business as I have described above? And I am talking from scratch. Zero Dedicated      

Computers, Zero Equipment, Nothing.

2. How long Until you will start to see or receiving real profitability?

Duke - I started 5 years or so before I retired so I would be prepared and have time to learn so I really can't answer how much I had in it over that time - I used the profits from jobs to work my way up in equipment and build inventory - but that inventory needs to turn over as vinyl has a shelf life.  from what I have read you are off to a great start

• Like 1

Well Dakota all I can say if I am off to a great start I can thank you the Mods and other members that have a gave me the answers I have needed along the way. The reason I asked the question in the first place was because MaryJane "MY BOSS THAT TELLS ME WHAT TO DO" and sometimes where to go! :rolleyes:  Is getting a Lil discouraged with not seeing a POT OF MONEY YET. I told her it takes time to build a business most especially getting into something starting out not knowing nothing or having nothing. I have done allot to improving our operation down to proper lighting, having all the correct hand tools, storage, and stocking up on product like all types of glassware (for etching  what we have mainly been doing) along with starting to build sublimation inventory. It takes time I tell her and you have to find what people want and have the product to deliver. I told her it will realistically be a couple years before seeing continued profit.

~Duke  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I started with a $500+ (cant remember exact) Uscutter bundle off ebay. Everything else Ive acquired and stocked up on has been basically from money made with it. When I do a big job and make a really decent profit, I take that and put it towards material to widen my "in-stock".

• Like 1

I started as a hobby and hoped that I would be able to make a buck here and there. had plans of what I thought was going to be the main direction my business would go. In the end I followed the money and am aiming in a lot different direction at this point than where I started but the money is certainly there for the taking. just don't get caught up in stockpiling "inventory" which is just an expense unless you sell it. I keep the stuff that i consistently sell like black, white, red vinyl if a couple grades and plenty of app tape. The rest I wait until I make a sale and then get the product with THIER money. The only thing I have accumulated over time is a lot of HTV vinyl which not surprisingly is where more of my work is coming from. I always order a little more than I need and then if I get a small one-off job it's right there and I can crank it out quick. 

When I started up I thought I needed several rolls of this or that color and a couple are still setting there going bad. Luckily for me they were the GS cheap stuff because I didn't know any better at the time. Makes handy sandblast resist for glass work though so I am gradually using it up. I haven't been able to make any real money on the blasting as of yet. I get an occasional job here and there but it's such a small market that I don't think it will ever take off big. Tons of fun though and awesome to be able to offer as "Oh, another thing I do" kinda thing for my regulars. 

• Like 2

I'm more like Scott I started out and as I sold things I took that money and upgraded everything as I went along.  I know everyone says the same thing but you really need to find a niche market.

Easier said then done when there are now thousands of people out there that can afford a few hundred dollar cutter and do and all of a sudden they are in business.  Many folks you see on here take a big order and haven't even got their cutter delivered yet !!!  Then they are on here crying I don't know what to do or why this isn't working.

Then you have the people that go on ebay and list a five dollar decal for $.99 with free shipping WTF You really think they wil be around long, they have no clue...

People selling phone cases for $4.99 and losing money really how's that working out for you ;D ;D

Just use common sense , I don't really do etching at least none to sell but that might be the right direct to go.  I saw someone that was sand blasting rocks,   Awesome idea and I am sure they have created a nice business.  So that all I am saying find something and learn that as best you can and you will be successful, and dont start selling dollar decals with free shipping ;D ;D

• Like 5

I started with a $500+ (cant remember exact) Uscutter bundle off ebay. Everything else Ive acquired and stocked up on has been basically from money made with it. When I do a big job and make a really decent profit, I take that and put it towards material to widen my "in-stock".

I have done the same, I think we started with  28" MH 721 with the 12 pack starter package of GreenStar :( yep i was new and didn't know NOTHING!

We started March of 2001 with $500 .. and 4 1/2 years later  I have TONS of EQIPMENT and STOCK From only $ i had made with this cutter 4 1/2 years later i have made about $15,000 in sales not bad working out of a room in your house and a few adds on Craiglist and some ebay sales.. and just word of mouth around town and a big family to tell everyone about what i can do for them!  :)

• Like 3

I started with zero knowledge in the field around 2007. Went from flea market to a store then a bigger store now my own building. I didn't see a livable wage until 2 years ago but the best advice is build a good customer base and follow the money. I do more with screen printing now than vinyl but I give them whatever they want.

• Like 2

I started with zero knowledge  Nov 2006,,  I worked a full time job for 14 months while I got my biz off the ground.. I work from home. Online only.  I had about $1500. invested, Value cutter, new computer, vinyl, designs,supplies,  I started with 10 yd rolls of vinyl. When I sold that color, I bought a 50 yd roll, until I got all of my colors at 50 yd..I only do decals...mostly large.  By large I mean 20" x 8ft-16ft.  Early 2008 I bought a FC Graphtec and it paid for it's self in about 5-6 weeks..  I still use it almost everyday. My business supports me..

• Like 5

I started with a $311.00 Refine cutter 7 yrs ago, today I have a Roland 54" printer, a Graphtec cutter, 2 heat presses, a 15 needle embroidery machine, hat press and a 4 color 1 station screen printing press.  My business will do sales of $250K this year.

• Like 1

I started about 2 years ago and still learning. I started with a 4 color 1 station silkscreen press. Found another site for t-shirts and read on there about sublimation and that site I came across HTV. Didnt know nothing about sign vinyl untill I came here. Now I have everything in my sig and still adding. 

I'm a Professional DJ and Own my DJ Rental Company which brings in t-shirts order and sign vinyl orders.

I make Most of my money djing but the T-Shirt and Sign Vinyl is picking up so is my sublimation jobs, mugs & hats.

I use to race dirtbikes and have a few friends who shirts I do.

• Like 1

I UPGRADED TODAY!!!!

MH721 to a Graphtec ce-6000-60

Had the wife run down to the store to get it right now! .. It's like Christmas EARLY! !!!

• Like 8

MY NEW TOY!

Thanks JayBird for taking the 6 months talking me into upgrading to a Graphtec! !!

That MH is a TIME of the PAST! .. i might bring it to my moms house so she can upgrade her Cricut! LoL !

post-16863-0-63861500-1413952960_thumb.j

• Like 2

Sweet SeeJay! That's a nice Halloween treat for your goodie bag :) Buy it from S+B?

Yes i got it from S+B.. Heidi Sheldon is the ONLY person i talk to there..

there is so much to learn on this new machine!

My MH would of never cut this.. i did actually try but it cut the crap out of the vinyl!

post-16863-0-72209900-1413953184_thumb.j

post-16863-0-25889500-1413953272_thumb.j

• Like 2

MY NEW TOY!

Thanks JayBird for taking the 6 months talking me into upgrading to a Graphtec! !!

That MH is a TIME of the PAST! .. i might bring it to my moms house so she can upgrade her Cricut! LoL !

You give that MH to your mom and I'll know for sure that you hate her  :ph34r:

• Like 4

Wait till you see how much time it saves you. 

My MH is sitting in the corner.   I know I need to get rid of it but I can't justify putting someone else through the pain of using it. 

• Like 2

Wait till you see how much time it saves you. 

My MH is sitting in the corner.   I know I need to get rid of it but I can't justify putting someone else through the pain of using it. 

WOW.. Ya my MH had to be set to 4 inch per sec to make it cut anything ... The MH made me alot of money in the last 4 years tho.. but i should of upgraded sooner!

Every time i seen Mopar's FC cut i was like WHAT? machines can cut that fast! LOL ..

oh well.. yes this ce-6000-60 spit's the vinyl out fast! and it's sad when i'm in the living room to come check to see if its done..

the MH i could hear when it stoped! from the other side of the house!

Waiting for my clean cut blades to come for my graphtec.. Good thing they are in IA so i should get them soon!

• Like 1

WOW.. Ya my MH had to be set to 4 inch per sec to make it cut anything ... The MH made me alot of money in the last 4 years tho.. but i should of upgraded sooner!

Every time i seen Mopar's FC cut i was like WHAT? machines can cut that fast! LOL ..

oh well.. yes this ce-6000-60 spit's the vinyl out fast! and it's sad when i'm in the living room to come check to see if its done..

the MH i could hear when it stoped! from the other side of the house!

Ha ha! Had the same experience when I upgraded from my P-Cut. I used to spend my time "Hovering" around my cutter to be ready if something went awry. Now I set it up and wander off to watch tv or weed something that is already done. I have loaded 10yds of HTV and set it to cutting several hundred copies of a small 4in x 2in graphic and just went to be for the night while it cut the whole roll. Time saved in mistakes and waiting around probably paid for my cutter let alone the extra volume that I can handle now. I'm a Summa guy and love it completely but those Graphtec machines didn't get the name they have by being anything but reliable and trustworthy. Glad you are having a good time with the new toy. I truly believe you can't appreciate a good cutter if you've never had a cheap one. Also believe those who have managed to cut with budget machines develop a better understanding of what's going on and are therefore more trained on what it takes to dial even a good cutter right in on the nuts. 

• Like 2

Only thing with a better, faster cutter is you need to work faster to keep up with it. No more blaming the slow cutter :)

• Like 3

I know Jay got a kick out of this.. Him asking if i was going to ever use my MH again!

This is the photo i sent him..  The box is my trash can!

But really the MH just got placed on the box while i assembled my graphtec stand .. but

yet to remove the MH from the BOX LoL..

Not sure what to do with the MH Yet..  maybe make a video of it in a bon fire?

what should we do with this MH LoL !

post-16863-0-82272700-1414042580_thumb.j

aww you can still mount that mh in the trunk of the car for mobile platform, but did you ever notice harely anyone has a real backiup forr  a graphtec that has ever got used?   I mean other than jaybird,   it is almost unheard of and you almost never hear of someone moving to another brand after they get a graphtec . . . ..hmmmmmm wonder why?