Sign in to follow this  
wyatt0124

Cutting help

okay guys, i am new and i just tried my first cut with the sc cutter. NOTHING came out clean and EVERYTHING was ragged and rigged… any body know why?:huh:

Sorry to tell you this but if it actually cut at all then it's about 95% likelihood user error. Going to need a bit more information to help out much. What cutter and program? (SCALP most likely program). Did you set your knife blade to correct depth? (one of the most common errors is too much blade) What offset on blade in your cutting software? What pressure? etc....

Mz Skeeter gives the best description for blade depth:

"This is how to set your blade correctly

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing."

i am using a sc cutter, 45 degree blade, off sure cuts a lot. what pressure should i be using? does the blade have to face a certain direction when i put it in? length wise, when i did what the intructsion told me, it cut WAY to deep. and what do u mean offset on the blade? 

the first thing you need to do is set your blade correctly as posted above,,,,,then set your force to get the same results, Back the force off to start with, and keep checking it until you have it correct. That is why you have a test feature on your cutter.  The blade spins freely in the blade holder. 

Newbie manual below,  download in first post.  It's kinda old, but the basics still apply. 

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/topic/16167-manual-for-new-bie-how-to-start-from-nothing-to-your-first-cut/

Start way low and try a test. If you can't pick it out then up it about 10gr a step until it cuts through. It should cut through the vinyl and leave a very light scratch in the wax-like surface of the carrier sheet. You should NOT be able to feel the cut from the back side of the paper. Depth first then pressure. The tip is so small on the blade that you basically can't tell it's even sticking out. Once I think I have it cutting correctly I get down so I am eye level with the vinyl and shine a flashlight and I can just barely see a gap below the blade holder.