BAM

MY BF DOING A HOW TO AND SHOWING OFF OUR LOGO

Thanks for the "constructive" criticism! But I'll keep our work\ ideas private from now on. :) thanks guys. You sure do know how to make people feel good about them selves. 

You are totally making that harder than it actually is.Applying app tape doesn't take me but 3 seconds, and no bubbles to evacuate.Same as applying the graphic once the lineup process is done. 

• Like 2

Obviously It takes but only a few seconds with an application tape roll or even just the sheets like he used to lay it down and squeegee out the air, but he wanted it to look good. In addition to that  this is going to be for our site to show people the process and Him being Attentive or "slow" Is besides the point really. It will not be the only one and the quality will be much better we just made it quick and thought We could upload it.. LOL

ALSO WE GET THAT  YOU GUYS ARE "PROS" But to someone who is new this might help them, But honestly its not meant to be a REAL how to its more to show how the process is done: With detail.  If you guys don't like its that's fine it was more meant to be fun than anything not a serious how to.. 

You really don't want to be showing your customers "the process"   They will be buying their own cutter and making their own decals.....  The process should be kept a secret..

Your customer,,,,"Oh that looks so easy, bet I could do that..  why is the price so high?"  my 2c

• Like 8

More constructive criticism: 

Being "attentive and slow" as you said, is NOT besides the point. It is the point. 

If you are going to make a video, you want to show the customers that you have a system and a flow that can produce their work in a timely fashion. In this industry - the early bird gets the worm - holds strong! I get 25% of my new customers from 'the guy up the road will not return my calls or is still not finished and I need it now". I get 25% of my new customers from walk ins - most that need it now and wait, the other 50% from referrals because I was able to knock their buddy's job out quickly and efficiently and to spec. 

Not only are your customers going to see your drawn out process, SO WILL YOUR COMPETITORS. Yep, we all scope out our competition at one time or another. Do not give them ammunition to use against you. 

Please don't get upset with us, you did post your efforts and 'the pros' gave you their professional opinions. I know ego blows suck but it is how we learn. We all go through it in some fashion. You are here because you want to learn. There is a lot to learn in this industry and there are a lot of professionals on this forum that will help guide you. Yeah some are a little hard around the edges, but if you listen to their advice, you will learn more than you ever thought even applied to this industry.  

• Like 5

I do realize that I made a post here, and that invited people to share their opinions, but I thought this was a place to learn, and become better in the industry, a place to ask questions and get advice and constructive criticism, the key words here are ADVICE and CONSTRUCTIVE !! Majority of the comments here cannot by any means be referred to as advice nor constructive criticism. 

Advice-guidance or recommendations concerning prudent future action. 

Prudent-acting with or showing care and thought for the future
Constructive criticism is the process of offering valid and well-reasoned opinions about the work of others, usually involving both positive and negative comments, in a friendly manner rather than an oppositional one. 

More key words to take notice of are PRUDENT, CARE, FRIENDLY.

And for those of you who said something worth reading, and helpful in some manner:  which looks to be only Mz SKEETER and npace, I do truly appreciate that!!

But I have to say, where I am living is a small town, and everybody here knows everybody else, our costumers are going to be people I already know on some personal basis, if they aren't a friend, or family member already. There is only one place that is our "competition" and they are a completely established business that has been doing this for years, and their work is truly spectacular, their equipment is beyond impressive, and my boyfriend and I hope to be as great as them one day. But for right now, we heading down a pretty great road to start out at becoming successful. 

We just got a partnership from a computer and phone repair shop, that wants us to make custom skins for phone, laptops, tablets, etc. and they looked up on YOUTUBE how the whole process for vinyl related services work, and they said that they wouldn't dream of touching that no matter how much extra money was coming in because it would be too much work and too time consuming. That's what made them so enthusiastic to give us a start. 

This video wasn't a serious look at the process we have working for us, I'll be honest some days we are slow working others we are super speedy, it just depends, as does the performance of any person at any job. 

But due to the fact that the bulk of my customer basis is friends, and relatives, a couple people who really enjoyed the work that we've done for them, requested to know HOW we could turn such a large, basic sheet of vinyl into this beautiful intricate design that they wanted made. So we made the video to show them, it was meant to be lighthearted, and honest. We like to take things slow and be really scrupulous about all of the details, it's something we enjoy doing, and it's not something that always needs to be rushed through. If we had a big job and a tight deadline we could work as fast as we needed, and it wouldn't be a problem. But this was nothing serious, we were excited about the design and logo we were working with, and we took a few minutes out of our day to put that together.

We aren't worried about someone thinking "the process is too easy" and "why am I paying for this?" there is the internet, and if we don't make a video and show them, they can still find it somewhere else all on their own. We have had no complaints about the amount of time it has taken us to do a job. And there really isn't anyone around here to compete with. Although, that would be a really good point, if we were in a different location.

And you know, you guys might refer to yourselves or each other as "pros" and some of you are probably deserving of that title I'm sure, but pro is just a shortened term for professional...

professional- It is the practice of doing a better job than an amateur would. By so doing, you behave in a manner that enhances the reputation of your company. 

I would hardly call many of the comments on here professional, or things that would enhance the reputation of anybody, in order to be a professional you have to behave as one...

Besides, I highly doubt any of you that commented just to try and tear me down, because maybe you are bored or just unhappy with your life, were in the position that I am in right now as 19 years old. I am self supporting with no help from my family, or parents... I rent my own 3 bedroom house with no roommates, I pay all my own bills, I have a job, I graduated from high school early, I already have a college degree and am continuing for a higher one.
On top of that I am starting my own business and for that I own Flexi, a pretty decent 48 inch cutter, over 20 rolls of vinyl, not to mention almost one thousand 12in x24 in sheets of vinyl, a surface pro tablet, a laptop and a car. And every single one of those things was accomplished and purchased without the help of anybody not even my family or parents, and without loans.

I have all of that at BARELY 19 since August, because I am a hard working girl, and I try to hold high expectations for myself, and I enjoy learning, and trying to always be better. So, I am not going to be hurt by any of you that try to tear me down. The only reason I am bothered is because I just wasn't raised that way. I don't intentionally ever try to be rude or hurtful to anybody. I will be honest and blunt about what I think but I am sure to always present it in a manner that is HELPFUL.

I have a lot of positivity in my life, and I don't need the negative comments of any of you, I never post anything as a way to fish for compliments or brag or boast, I want true constructive criticism because I want to learn and become better, and I was trying to be involved with the community here. I have met a few select people through this forum that have actually been very helpful, and given me tips that really did make a difference, and I think I'll just continue talking to those people and ignoring those of you that choose to be negative all the time. Because carrying around all of that negativity can't make for a very enjoyable life, and that isn't the way I want to live. 

For those of you that have offered a helping hand, and given your advice THANKS A MILLION, especially you Paul, you truly have been the absolute best !! :D 

• Like 2

The people here are good people.. One thing for sure most of them are gonna give criticism whether it is good or bad. That is just the nature of posting work on here.. These people have helped me out alot and they have gave me some harsh criticism but at the end of the day i brush it off and move on..  

• Like 2

I wouldn't concern myself with this bunch (myself included), or their opinions. If you want more 'professional' advice, and help, I suggest becoming a member of Signs101.com

• Like 5

I wouldn't concern myself with this bunch (myself included), or their opinions. If you want more 'professional' advice, and help, I suggest becoming a member of Signs101.com

I hope that's sarcasm.

• Like 1

"I want true constructive criticism because I want to learn and become better"

No place better, than a forum, of professional sign makers. Plus, they got rid of some of the trouble makers, and I think they would enjoy seeing the video..

• Like 2

LOL I've been over to signs 101 and many of them are professional somethings that I can't say on here.

• Like 5

I go to signs 101 on occasion just for the entertainment of reading the comments. Very nice people on there (as long as they like you).

• Like 1

I would let everything just roll off your back. From what you said in your last post, you have the right to be proud of yourself. Don't take anything posted here to heart. We all are here to help out the newbies. After all, we all were newbies. Stick around and learn from us!! 

• Like 3

but John, sometimes you have to step out to expand - I love all the forums for different reasons - I learn a lot there - first thing I learned was to keep my mouth shut unless I knew what I was talking about - no faking it there.  but peope like dan sawatzki (sp?) are on there and are incredibly talented.  This post started with a "How to" according to the title and think that is where it went a little sideways - nowhere near as bad as either of us have seen in the past but  I think the expectations were different with the "how to" and "showing off".  I hope Bam isn't discouraged but it might be a touch of forum etiquette - kinda like street etiquette on crack

• Like 1

We all start at the beginning to end where we eventually end up at and it is what we learn during the journey that really matters not our stumbles or miss steps along the way.

• Like 3

Signs101 would not even approve my membership when I tried to join a few months ago. Darn elitists!

• Like 1