Kbeizaei

Oracal 631 vs 651

I've been making decals for laptops and such with 631 and I'm thinking about switching to 651.  I know that it's more permanent and has a better hold but I was wondering what other peoples experience with this vinyl has been.

Thanks!

Oracal 651 is GREAT vinyl...can be used outdoors as well as inside,, Has more years of durability,  but most colors are glossy,  not matte like 631

• Like 1

Love IT! we use it for all kinds of things, it does have some minor shrinkage issues but it's still far better than 631.

651 is a calendered vinyl and any calendared vinyl will shrink due to the manufacturing process.

(it is stretched not cast) therefore it has somewhat of a memory and will shrink.

It probably shrinks quite a bit more in my climate than it normally would.  But over time usually not more than 1/16" - 1/8".

also depends on what it's adhered to and how much direct sunlight it gets.

Is the shrinkage generally worse when it's layered? Because I made a sign & layered it. Not even 5 months later it is shrinking to the point it seems puckered. I made 3 and every single one did this.

39 minutes ago, JulieMcLain said:

Is the shrinkage generally worse when it's layered? Because I made a sign & layered it. Not even 5 months later it is shrinking to the point it seems puckered. I made 3 and every single one did this.

did you use cast vinyl like 751 or 951?     calendared shrinks more

• Like 2

Layering wouldn't make it shrink more/faster but it might make it more obvious. The layers will pull on each other and cause distortions more so than a single layer.

• Like 2