Moody Blue

Wedding guest signature board

Did this for one of my coworkers who is getting married this weekend. I work as a graphic designer for our company and he initially approached me about just doing the design so he could take to Kinkos to have the decal made. After talking to him and figuring out what he actually needed, I was able to save him from being screwed by the "corporate" pricing structure and did it for him for about half the cost of Kinkos...and I still made a little profit  B)

post-84967-0-04266400-1405347473_thumb.j

• Like 3

The board is made up of "slats" of wood that are painted white and then the decals were applied directly to that. It's for a beach themed wedding here on the coast of SC.

• Like 1

Very nice.....

Question.

The white gap around all the letters. Did you do that beforfe cutting or does the cutter know to do that??

(always learning)

Thanks.

Very nice.....

Question.

The white gap around all the letters. Did you do that beforfe cutting or does the cutter know to do that??

(always learning)

Thanks.

I do it before cutting. It bothers me to layer something and be able see the lines of the back image through the top layer. I stroke the front image, copy it and expand the stroke (now there are two of the top image...new one being larger) and remove that new image from the back image with my pathfinder tool. I cut and layer with registration marks so the two layers blend perfect with each other. I am using Illustrator so terms may be different than other software but I will be happy to post a quick tutorial if anyone is interested.

• Like 2

That's a great idea, I think I m going to steal that for my own wedding. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I do it before cutting. It bothers me to layer something and be able see the lines of the back image through the top layer. I stroke the front image, copy it and expand the stroke (now there are two of the top image...new one being larger) and remove that new image from the back image with my pathfinder tool. I cut and layer with registration marks so the two layers blend perfect with each other. I am using Illustrator so terms may be different than other software but I will be happy to post a quick tutorial if anyone is interested.

I do the same thing in CorelDraw, but I use "Outside Contour", then I break that apart from the original item and subtract it from the object behind.

• Like 2

quick question. Someone has asked me to make words to lap over the board seams also. Did you slice at the seam or is it crossing like a bridge. I was afraid the crossover might cause it not to stay on. What are your thoughts. 

quick question. Someone has asked me to make words to lap over the board seams also. Did you slice at the seam or is it crossing like a bridge. I was afraid the crossover might cause it not to stay on. What are your thoughts. 

Mine just crosses over the seams.  Being that this is being used indoors and mostly display purpose I think it will be fine. These boards are close enough to where not much vinyl would be exposed on the backside. You could take a razor blade or xacto and slice the between parts but I don't think it will make too much difference unless there is a place the vinyl isn't staying. 

thanks MoodyBlue. Yours looks great.

• Like 1

I love this! I think it is a great Idea and I love the lapped boards! Your graphics look great too. I think the way you do it without laying directly onto the back layer is perfect. It really gives it a quality look. If you ever get time to post a tutorial on this I would love to read it! 

• Like 1

I love this! I think it is a great Idea and I love the lapped boards! Your graphics look great too. I think the way you do it without laying directly onto the back layer is perfect. It really gives it a quality look. If you ever get time to post a tutorial on this I would love to read it! 

Here's the idea to making cutout areas in Illustrator. This can be done for solid color or multiple color/layered decals. This is a logo I am working on for a trade show and figured this would be a good example to show the process on how it's done. Although this logo is more complex than just text over an image...it still helps show what all has been done to make the cutout areas. For the the text over the starfish I did in the picture you would only need steps 5-8 to make the cutout. Hope this helps  ;D

post-84967-0-76087400-1405959227_thumb.j