Sign in to follow this  
IPT

Losing part of image importing from AI to SCALP

In Outline mode of AI my image looks fine. When i export it to SCALP it loses part of the image (and distorts some lines). I notice if use "expand" in AI I get the same loss. I upgraded to the newest version of SCALP but I don't think that's it. What's going on and how can I fix it. I need this file ASAP for a job.

post-84825-0-05491300-1404592299_thumb.j

post-84825-0-09779600-1404592310_thumb.j

It looks like the text is subtracting from the mountain. Since the logo is reversed I would guess the text goes on the window first then the mountain? I would group all the text, then pull the mountain to the top and leave it as a seperate layer. If you are trying to cut the text from the mountain and have the keep the outlying parts I would duplicate, subtract, then weld the rest of the text to the mountain.

I will try and attach the file. I'm sure it's something simple. If you look the part that is missing is actually outside of the mountain area. It's going to be airbrushed onto plexi so the bottom of the mountain doesn't really exist. it just fades of. The cut line is just there to expose the area but not the surrounding area. Thanks for the input.

Here is a screen shot of it in various modes. The last image is what SCALP is seeing.

post-84825-0-68602300-1404610013_thumb.j

Not seeing that top, complete graphic, even in wireframe.

Just the second & third ones in the file you uploaded.

Do you still have the top, complete graphic?

You need to upload the AI file before you do any expanding or other operations.

You might want to downsave it to a little older version like CS3 or CS5. Not as many of us have the CC version

I'm using CS5 as well. I tried to upload the AI file but it said it was too big. I'll try again. Looks like the only way I can save it is as a PDF maintaining AI editing. Hope that doesn't change much. The AI file is like 1018Kb so just over the limit and I don't know how to make it smaller.

Vectorized Logo.pdf

OK, I see what's up. You have a "live paint" group going on here. Live Paint is handy for coloring up a job but it breaks out objects into a bunch of separate objects pretty much the same as the "divide" option in the pathfinder palette. So what you have is a whole bunch of grouped objects that will no longer work in operations as a group. If you are going to cut this a s a stencil fro airbrush you shouldn't need to do the live paint thing to it. You will be best served to go back past the point that you did that operation and go a different route to get where you want to be. I assume all these vertical lines are inserted as either weeding lines or as tiles so you can use parts as individual stencils.

I guess not being a painter I am still trying to wrap my head around the lettering but in thinking about it you are probably doing two or three different colors to create 3d text. I think I would use the divide direction rather than live paint because SCALP is probably having trouble interpreting the live paint part of the file which doesn't go away, you still have a live paint object even after converting.

Thanks Wildgoose, you're the man (figuratively in case you're actually not :)). Yes, I did use live paint.Yes, the lines within the text are to create a beveled look.

I've seen live paint used often as a tool to remove lines (cuts) that were needed to make and overlap items in a design, but where in the actual cut chopped solid objects up. So I used it to make objects solid as I wanted them not as required to build or maintain a shape. That, or to just nib off the errant straggling line. Is there a better way to tidy up for cutting? Sometimes without live paint you remove a single line and an entire object collapses.

So, WAY closer (Thank you!), but why it it dragging out these lines still?

post-84825-0-92560700-1404680156_thumb.j

No clue on those errant lines. Live paint does do a good job of sniping those lines off here and there. It's just not very compatible function when prepping for a cutter.

All I did was select the live paint and do Object>live paint>release to get it gone. It's just an operation similar to compound path or clipping mask. Obviously something else going on with the file transfer. I would try a few different versions of AI. When I had a copy of SCALP it would accept CS5 native files. Sometimes there was a color issue with multi-colors coming over all the same but that was a lot of updates ago.

If you still have issues you might try SignCut Pro. They have a week free trial. I love the program enough that I use with my Suma. Even had to have the tech support folks work over the drivers so it would contour cut properly. They happily did so and I have a copy on my main imac as well as a windows laptop. Very nice having a program with cross platform compatibility if one of mine goes down I can still keep on cutting. Takes a dongle to have the option to jump back and forth from computers but they have web verified keys that you can just subscribe to weekly, monthly etc...