Sign in to follow this  
murilld87

Cutting without Registration Marks???

I have media that cannot be printed on and because of that I can't put registration marks. the media is bland and doesn't need to be cut in a specific location but just optimize the room for the the most cutting per sqaure foot. Please help i am new to this.

if your just cutting with a standard cutter and not a print cut machine like roland or others, you don't use registration marks. You design your decal and in the program you tell it where to cut the decal.

if you are just using the registration marks for layering then if you don't want to use them use a light table or hold it up to a window to layer

Nothing wrong with being a newbie. Most of us were at one time or other. 

Registration marks are normally used for layering except for print and cut jobs called contour cutting. If you are just cutting vinyl then the only use is to help align one layer on to the next so multiple colors line up the way you want. Many of us make our own registration marks with a shape like a diamond or a + or something like that and just let the cutter cut it right along with the rest of the vinyl and it's there when you mask off the job. If you are putting your own in then you need to copy and paste-in-place and change the color to match so there are a stack of however many color layers you have. Then you cut by color and each successive layer will have the registration marks and you can just line them up. If you do this you kind of want to think it through for the placement or you can end up with an excessive amount of wasted vinyl on certain layers that will now have to reach way out to the registration marks. Like dakota suggested many use a light box or window and line them up that way rather than mess with the marks.