Sign in to follow this  
MadHatterGraphix

48" T-square overkill?

I'm just curious if a 48" Drywall T-square / drafting T-square is overkill for doing signs or is it a good size to start off with? I have an 18" plastic one but looking to upgrade to aluminum.

I have one hanging on my sign easle that gets used about once a week for something.

Must have that lamp!  Love it!

I have a T-square, and that lamp would give me back a minute per shirt (or so).  It would pay for itself quick enough.

• Like 1

ahhhh but it is the cool factor at play!

I will admit it is a cool factor however sort of a pain to use at the offsite job lol.

I had one....finally drilled out the rivets, took the short part off, and use it as a nice heavy 4 foot straight edge.

• Like 1

I have a 4' and 2' t square and use them both all the time.

That's all nice but again price I would have to buy big blue and that to make it a t square. Cheaper to buy one already made up and under $15

I can guarantee with the amount of cutting I do that a big aluminum t-square for drywall would be straight less than a day cutting against it ( the safety rulers are thick, have a gurard and many have a hardened edge you cut against - the reason i have the big blue SAFETY ruler - one jump across your thumb using a thinner one will make you well away of why everyone should have the safety version.  mine came years ago on a roof with a square and a utility knife doing shingles.  knife came across the thin square, across thumb and when I went to get down the schnauzer had wrapped his cable around the ladder and pulled it down.  makes me shiver to just remember it - but like any good handyman I wrapped the thumb best I could with my handkerchief and went back to roofing until someone drove by that could put the dang ladder back up to the roof.  blood went well with the desert tan shingles.  since then a safety ruler seams cheap. PS Yes I have a big one for drywall  - so can make a good comparison. 
now why do these stories always include a dang dog.

• Like 1

I used to hang drywall and never bent a square while using it but I can also relate to the knife slipping.

.. knife came across the thin square, across thumb ...

the worst is a brand new blade, and not even realizing you cut yourself, until you start saying " where the hell is all this blood coming from? OH! its me! "

not that I'm speaking from experience or anything :rolleyes:

• Like 3

I know about knives I have had my run in with them too many times almost cut my finger off once. and sliced others. I'm not to worried about using it for cutting drywall, mainly vinyl with it clamped down. Also just use it for a straight edge to draw lines on coroplast or other signs. I noticed I have gotten worse aligning things.

• Like 1

I have a 4' regular T and then I have a couple 24" and 12" framing squares I use. I am looking for a 24" T that is aluminum now. I seem to "trim" the plastic ones while I cut

• Like 2

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="E L Design" data-cid="362995" data-time="1404041766"><p>

I have a 4' regular T and then I have a couple 24" and 12" framing squares I use. I am looking for a 24" T that is aluminum now. I seem to "trim" the plastic ones while I cut</p></blockquote>

I bought my 24" aluminum at office max. Works great