Fatboy

What is the difference between Chromablast-R Inks and SubliJet-R Inks?

Okay i know  they put a little description on the UScutter.com webpage answering this. 

But could someone maybe go more into detail or do a 

"What is the difference between Chromablast-R Inks and SubliJet-R Inks?" for dummies lol 

I'm purchasing the Ricoh SG 3110DN today and just wanted some more info on which ink to purchase 

I'm using a new 15x15 heat press

RIght now i'm using it to make shirts with Sister easy weed. 

What i'll be using the Sublimation for

-Custom Phone cases

-Shirts with the designs i come up with.

-Possibly custom lanyards (but I'm thinking about doing the sister weed for these) 

I'm sorry about asking so many questions i just don't wanna make a mistake. 

I've searched around on the forums and i see such great work from everyone. 

Thanks for all the info! 

Sublijet (sublimation ink) is for printing transfers for 100% polyester garments (and polymer coated hard surfaces like mugs etc) on white or light pastel and Chromablast is for cotton garments...again either white or pastel colors....sublimation actually bonds with the polyester fibers...Chromablast is a transfer....Cost of inks about the same BUT the paper for Chromablast is much much higher...when I tried it, it was about 75 cents a sheet...and sublimation paper about 15 cents. Chromablast will not wash as well. This was a copy and paste from another site

Hmm what would be my best solution I get a lot of people asking for black shirts with custom designs on them. The solid color stuff I can just use sister weed for that.

For instance a black and white picture onto a black shirt.

If you have a cutter that contour cuts 3G opaque paper, however you would need a printer that prints with pigment ink which is Epson. WF7510 is a good starter.

I have a epson 3540 that I use for my everyday printing. Would I need to get special ink for it?

What I'm really interested in I think is transfers for black material.

Thanks for the help again and future help lol

So sublijet r isn't recommended for cotton? I wonder why not??

When you heat up sublimation ink to around 400°F, it sublimates - that is, it goes from a solid state to a gaseous state without a liquid transition phase (like melting dry ice) - that sublimated gas is chemically attracted to non-natural materials, specifically polyester.  The colored gas bonds with the polyester and permanently changes its color.

If you try and sublimate cotton, the ink will sublimate and transfer to the cotton, but it will not chemically bind to the natural fibers and as soon as you run it through the wash you'll lose your image.  If you transfer on to a 50/50 cotton/poly blend it will come out very faded after the first wash as the color can only bind to half of the fibers.

If you want to transfer color images on to cotton fabrics, you need to use Chromablast inks (and paper), or you need to use pigment ink and print onto an appropriate transfer material - something like JetPro Soft Stretch for white fabrics or 3G Opaque for dark colored fabrics.  Or, if money is no object, you can use a high-end solvent printer and print onto heat transfer vinyl.   You will need a cutter capable of contour cutting when printing transfers for dark colored fabrics, unless you want your transfers to all have a white rectangular background.

Sublimation and printed transfers are two different technologies that require different types of ink, different types of transfer sheets, etc - you can't buy one printer with one type of ink and do both.

• Like 3

Hmm so this is what I'm thinking let me know what you think about this.

(Going to use this setup for phone cases)

Buying the Ricoh printer

Getting the sublijet ink set.

Getting the iPhone and galaxy blanks from some website once I find a place.

Then from there figure out what imma do with these people wanting black shirts.