Sign in to follow this  
smendlik

Uh oh...

...as if this venture hasn't cost me enough money already.  I was looking around on US Cutter's main site and notice that they will soon be carrying 3d printers.

post-34212-0-79100700-1401757663_thumb.p

I've heard that the main library in downtown Cleveland has a 3d printer available to the public

Hmmmm.

My wife is going to Akron U. and they open up the engineering departments 3d printer to all students for a week each semester, I might have to take advantage of it before she graduates.

From what little I know about it, the biggest challenge to the functioning of this technology is the 3D mapping software.

Basically, anyone who wants to get into the game needs to accept the learning curve on applications for 3D modelling and graphics.

One such application is Shade 3D  (which is excellent because it incorporates curved surface modeling based on bezier based lines, which would be familiar to those of us who work using 2D presently in programs like Inkscape, CorelDraw and Illustrator)

Then, of course, you have to imagine something which would be worth creating with a plastic-part-molding device.

What useful stuff are people "printing" with these?

I was chatting with a t-shirt vendor at a volleyball tournament last fall and he was busy designing in 3D while he sat around. This guy made real cool custom beer handles for the micro breweries. I think he had them 3D printed when he was done and then used that to build a mold to make a brass casting from. It looked fun. 

I work in R&D I print stuff daily, could never justify one for home use. I'm waiting for the Direct metal laser sintering machines to come down in cost, that's where things will really change.

In 2D, projects gone wrong are worthless....

In 3D, they are "Modern Art".......

IMPRESSIVE!

Sue2

post-6159-0-24011000-1401799553_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I really so no practical use for one other than saying I have one. For making one off things or prototypes, man, that's a lot of cash and really what do I need prototypes of things made for anyway? If I wanted little nick nacks everywhere I could go to any garage sale and buy them by the thousands. There is like 20 of these thing within blocks of me. I have no  urge to join the bandwagon. If I want something made I will make it on a lathe or mill. Much faster, and will last a heck of a lot longer. Or just buy it on Amazon. haha

• Like 2

Wow that's getting down there where it's affordable. I had no idea they were anywhere near that cheap. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around how they can make a working model of a crescent wrench with two colors. (old video I watched previously)