cdugger

Thinking of getting a new computer

Hey all!

I'm thinking of buying a new computer that I can take with me to a flea market I'm going to be setting up that. I wanted to get everybody's feedback on what they currently have or they believe I should get. I have a Graphtech and I use CS6, SCALP, trusty ol SignBlazer, and Vector Magic.

What does everybody think of Windows 8?

Thoughts on Windows 8.1?

Thoughts on an i3 or an i5 processor compared to an AMD processor?

How much memory and how much hard disk space does everyone have?
 - In my desktop I run Windows 7 64 bit Home edition with 4GB RAM and 500 GB HD.

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

Caleb

opinion - yeah I always have one - I hate 8 - had one computer with it and sold it. Daughters computer has it and hate working on it.  windows 7 64 bit for me.  scalp ranks right up there with windows 8 for me.   Just my 2c - again

• Like 2

I just got a new laptop with windows 8, and didn't like it but when even the roland techs couldn't make my printer/cutter work with it I finally installed win 7 pro and have had no more problems.

Donn

You don't really need a fancy computer to run that stuff. A laptop that cost $400 five years ago would be more than enough.

Laptop: Vista, Dual core Intel, 750GB hard drive, 8GB ram

Desktop: Vista, Quad core AMD, 2TB hard drive, 16GB ram, GTX 550 Ti

Another 2TB or so in external hard drives

When building desktops I've always gone with AMD. I think you get more bang for the buck compared to Intel.

• Like 1

Im running xp. Even though they stopped supporting it.

Nothing wrong with that...if it works why fix it.

People are al like "oh no they dont support it...its vulnerable..etc."

All my computers have Windows XP and i will continue to use them.

Besides people are stupid...you protect your pc from viruses and hackers with a firewall and router...not the operating system.

And i have a cheap Dell D610 laptop that i paid $80 for and it runs my software and my cutter just fine.

• Like 1

Besides people are stupid...you protect your pc from viruses and hackers with a firewall and router...not the operating system.

And i have a cheap Dell D610 laptop that i paid $80 for and it runs my software and my cutter just fine.

Exactly! Nice XP laptops can be had on ebay for under $100 and will run a cutter just fine and esp if you are going to use it in the field without internet it will work great.

I turned my XP updates off 2 years ago and haven't had a virus yet. Stupidity is what puts a virus on a computer..knowing what NOT to click on is what matters.

• Like 2

Thank you for the feedback everyone!

What is everyone's opinions on the All-In-One Computers? When I go set up at other locations for a weekend to a full week, I was thinking they would be pretty neat to have something bigger, especially the ones that have battery powered capabilities as well as touch screen that could give customers even more of a sense of getting their money's worth

Newbies, if you are on-site making/selling decals, one good practice is to slow down your cutter a little and let people watch you weed/tape the vinyl. This makes it more of an experience for everyone. I heard it said this way one time:

The customer feels they get more value out of a product if they see the work that went into making it because they are more vested. Think of a locksmith; you lock your keys in your car and call a locksmith up. She comes up and opens the door in 10 seconds and charges you $75. You may at first feel like this is too much money because it took hardly anytime at all and you secretly wish she would have struggled more or at least it would have taken longer so you "would have gotten your money's worth" even though you are in a better situation if that would have happened. This, of course, is faulty logic; however we all do it without realizing it. The same goes for the customers. They feel more invested if they see all the work that goes into it and you will hear a lot of things like, "I wouldn't have the patience for that" and these other members can add scores of other sayings we always hear.

Sorry... back to the question: All-In-One. Does anyone have one? Is it convenient for your, especially with the larger screens?

I've never had a virus take out an xp but the automatic updates had crashed them several times before I finally turned that crap off. Like Bannerjohn said you just don't click on stuff you shouldn't.

• Like 1