Sign in to follow this  
SJay

Printable Vinyl

Hi, I have a HP Z3200 wide format printer that I print on photo paper, canvas etc.  I am thinking about buying a Graphtec CE6000 to cut vinyl with.  I do understand that I can cut solid colors, but what vinyl can I use that is similar to a Oracal 631 that I can use my printer to print on and then us the cutter to cut it out?

Thanks

Steve

You're looking for a material that you can print photos onto, then contour cut and stick on a wall and be removable (like Oracal 631)?

I just recently started using PhotoTex - it's a woven polyester material, not perfectly smooth like vinyl, but not course like a photo canvas...

It prints well with aqueous inks, or they have solvent ink versions available - I couldn't tell from the HP site which type your printer uses.

This is one I made for my office - it's not "the" Tardis, it's a picture of a life size replica someone made.  Cell phone pic, so not the greatest quality...

post-24492-0-59696400-1399128288_thumb.j

I have that material - what I am trying to do is say - print a life size picture of a child playing sports, cut out the profile and then attach it to the wall, what vinyl would be best for that?

quick search of aqueous wall vinyl came up with this

http://www.lexjet.com/p-4646-LexJet-Window-Wall-Decor.aspx

never used it but make sure whatever you get is made for the aqueous ink in your printer - it needs a special coating as it won't adhere to regular vinyl

but if I was doing it I would also vote on the phototex for aqueous (comes in both aqueous and solvent printable)

I have some of the phototex so when I get my cutter I will have to try it - may also get a roll from Lexjet and try theirs also, thanks for the suggestions. 

I have that material - what I am trying to do is say - print a life size picture of a child playing sports, cut out the profile and then attach it to the wall, what vinyl would be best for that?

I'm sorry, but isn't that the answer I gave you?   A printable medium that can then be fed through a contour cutter and then attached to the wall?

Your cutter will contour cut PhotoTex just as if it were vinyl.

• Like 1

Jones, why do you use this over papilo? Is one better then the other for some things? Or just using a different brand now?

PhotoTex is thicker than Papilo vinyls and feels sturdier.  I haven't tried the Papilio removable vinyl, just the "permanent" kind and I like it a lot.

I was told by others on the forum that PhotoTex was a better choice, so that's what I went with.

PhotoTex, and vinyl, are two completely different things. Lots of places sell 'wall' vinyl, that they say is just as good as Phototex, I've tried them, they're not.

• Like 1