I need some advice. I use Oracal (Orafol) 631 and HT55 transfer tape for wall decals for a couple of years now with very limited problems and those were minimal at best. I ship the decals rolled.

I recently had a customer send me pictures where the paint peeled off the wall from the transfer tape. They swear that they painted 6 months ago and used regular paint, not any VOC free, low VOC or teflon type of paints. 

Does anyone have any idea why this would have ? I refunded their purchase price in full but I'm wondering if there is some information floating around out there that I am missing? Should I be using a different transfer tape or is there another one that you all like better than HT55?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

If it peeled their paint off the wall, the paint was not bonded correctly.

Not the fault of the HT55, poor paint adhesion is the problem.

Could have been a dirty or greasy spot that was painted over.

• Like 2

That is what I was thinking. She said that it took off 3 layers of paint right down to the sheetrock. I refunded her in full as this never happened to me before, but I just wanted to make sure that I am fully informed still. Thanks for taking the time to reply. 

3 layers... hmmmph.  wall dogs call it "potato chips".

Actually, I have had good fortune over the years explaining this bonding issue to clients.

Methinks it good on-ya to have had so few problems to date.

Well done.

I agree. If you paint over crap 3 times, three layers are going to peel.

Myself I have never had a problem with HT-55.

• Like 1

Too many people don't use a primer before painting a new wall. I like to mix a little drywall compound into the primer to add a little texture and make it look like the older walls.