Sign in to follow this  
pdryan

Hi guys! I have some specific questions about etched glass decals

So I retrofit office buildings and am doing a build out currently that has a ton of glass walls and sliding glass doors that divide adjacent small offices. I am also going to be developing a few more properties soon and I know that I will save money on buying a machine that allows me to print and cut privacy strips and privacy strips with logos cut out. I would like to have many 4 foot privacy strips, some etched logos in the four foot size and then many privacy strips with etched logos in the 2 foot size. 

What is a good machine to start with? I obviously don't want to spend an arm and a leg but I also need something that will look professionally done, be reliable and that will keep going for a long time. Are there any specific machines, materials, etc that work best for this kind of application? Thanks all!  Any help/ recommendations is greatly appreciated. 

You are talking about the etched looking vinyl? I have only cut a small sample but they have some good products available from Oracal here at USCutter:

http://www.uscutter.com/ORACAL-8510-Translucent-Etched-Glass-Cal

Real pricey stuff BTW! 

Also a word of caution. Being that you appear to me new, 4 foot applications are some serious business and well up on the higher end of application skill required. Even a lot of us who have several years of experience get a little nervous on things that wide and expensive. 

You are going to want to spend enough on a cutter to have good tracking on things that large so the cheaper cutters may cause you problems. Once you start doing large elements like you are talking about, a lot of the graphics will also be long and flowing and need to align properly when they come back around to connect to the starting point. IMO I wouldn't get anything less than a Graphtec. There is a new TItan cutter out that is brand new and seems to be a good cutter too and may save a few bucks so that's another option. 

All this is just one guys opinion so take it for what it's worth. Welcome to the forum!

• Like 2

Thank you! But yes, this is what I am referring to. I realize that those four foot applications will be tricky but I have a lot of glass to practice with and the material isn't that expensive right? So if I waste some its not the end of the world? Any links to specific printers would be awesome. Is Oralite the best material out there? 

I don't know if it's the best material or not but all the other Oracal products are fantastic. I guess maybe you have a different take on what is expensive and not. A 48" wide roll 10 yds long is about $166 shipped. 

Here is a link to the stepping off point in the cutter section of the main website. You will have to find your way around from there. Best options are going to be Titan, Graphtec CE and Gaphtec FC models. 

http://www.uscutter.com/Vinyl-Cutters

and yes, it is expensive, but much cheaper than having a five foot strip, two feet wide installed for $150! If there is anyone that can take care of entire jobs for me, let me know (also gives serious discounts for bulk rates). I am in southern california and have probably a thousand yards of glass that need to have etched detail installed. 

One thing about it, if it's your own place then you can get away with a few less than perfect installs in some back corner while you get it figured out. 

Youtube is your friend when your new at something:

• Like 1