idahofam

Text help with SCALP

Hello all, I have spent the past couple of days trying to figure this out on my own through reading, internet research, and my own trial/error with no result.  Any input you may have is greatly appreciated.  I have two questions:

1. Im cutting a wall decal that is several lines of text.  How do I get all three lines of text into the same "selection tool" box so I can size and manipulate the entire paragraph together?  (I know how to ungroup and group...anyway to group a multi line phrase together?)

2. In SCALP, is there a way to place my project on a word or powerpoint sheet?  I am trying to place the phrase mentioned in #1 onto a website (from SCALP) as an image without/prior to cutting it.  

Thanks in advance for any assistance. 

I don't have it but usually "CTRL A" does it in the other apps I use

In Scalp is there an option to "EXPORT" under FILE or something?  Most software let's you do an export as a JPG, TIFF etc

I was reading the questions from " Idahofam " above, and I also have a question to add to this,,,,  I am using the  SURE CUTS A LOT Version 2 on my Cricut machine and I need to know the steps on how I can  'Mirror Cut A Monogram Text "   I am using the Heat Transfer Vinyl :huh:??  I have tried everything I know how with lots of waste of material and time and Need Help .Please... Thanks in Advance for any Help..

You should be able to draw your box around everything and group it, if you can't grab everything because it's not all on the mat then hit edit then select all and the box will grab everything even if its out of view off the page. you should also be able to export as jpeg as well.

JJENNINGS, are you making sure that you are selecting everything and grouping it before you reverse it? if so what problems are you having when you reverse the file? I have scal pro and haven't had any problems with anything reversing.

Donn

30-284  Thanks for trying to Help me... I have Grouped the Monogram Text  and hit the Flip Hortizontal button,,, but it comes out backward,, in other words it is Only flipping the text upside down and not reversing it hortizontal.... WHY is this doing it :huh:  I am getting so flustrated with this..... but NEED it done..... I have the Version 2 and using the Cricut,, so do you think this is the problem..:huh: and why should it  not work the same way :huh:  Help

There should be an option to change from horizon to vertical flip. Also it won't matter because flipped is flipped. As long as it's now a mirrored image it makes little difference whether it is upside down or sideways because once it's cut then you do what you want with it.

• Like 1

just as goose said "as long as its mirrored" it may only be flipped but not mirrored, my version has a flip vertical and flip horizontally. does yours have the same?

just as goose said "as long as its mirrored" it may only be flipped but not mirrored, my version has a flip vertical and flip horizontally. does yours have the same?

Good point!

Yes,,, Mine has the flip Vertical and Flip Horizontal.. but when I do either,, and cut the Heat Transfer Vinyl and weed... the Text is Not turned Correctly to Iron on a Shirt..  the Monogram is backward...  Am I doing correct by turning the shiney side face down on my mat to cut.??   I have also tried to do the Monogram in Corel Draw 12 (  I Can get it Mirrored there )  but when I save as... and Export... I cant seem to Import into the Sure Cuts A Lot software....  I am so ready to throw this out the door.... HELP !!!!

Yes, shiny side down and cut from the dull side. I can't see how it wont cut in reverse if it reverses on the screen. I would use regular vinyl until you get this figured out,  try cutting both reg and reversed and see what happens. Won't your Corel save in SVG, I have x6 and it will.

• Like 1

Yes, 30-284 I can get it done the correct way in Corel Draw 12, even Mirrored and Save as an SVG File to Export into my Sure Cuts A Lot software, but now the problem is I can not get it to Import into SCAL and show on my mat :huh:???   Why would it not be there :huh:??   Thanks for all your Help also..

I'm going out on a limb here so please don't take this the wrong way but, have you used the heat transfer vinyl before, you know that the glossy side goes facing up when you are heating it on the shirt? I apologize for this but I have done some things in the past that I can't believe I did and hope someone else has done it also. otherwise I don't know why you would have some files reverse but not this one. I don't have that font otherwise I would cut it here and give it a try.

Hello all, I have spent the past couple of days trying to figure this out on my own through reading, internet research, and my own trial/error with no result. Any input you may have is greatly appreciated. I have two questions:

1. Im cutting a wall decal that is several lines of text. How do I get all three lines of text into the same "selection tool" box so I can size and manipulate the entire paragraph together? (I know how to ungroup and group...anyway to group a multi line phrase together?)

2. In SCALP, is there a way to place my project on a word or powerpoint sheet? I am trying to place the phrase mentioned in #1 onto a website (from SCALP) as an image without/prior to cutting it.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

To answer the OP's question if you have three lines of text and want to manipulate them all when resizing. Each line of text becomes an object. To combine the objects as one. Yes you use the GROUP switch. To achieve this drag your mouse around all three objects and select the GROUP. Now as the group is selected you can use the shift key and mouse to enlarge the object to your preferred size OR enter in dimensions. To maintain aspect ratio be sure that box is checked.

Now that you have groups all objects as one. You can use the file in a website with the proper code to define it's size.

Idahofam where are you at in Idaho? Just curious, I'm in Nampa.

You are stretching the capability of SCALP in attempting to do what you are talking about. You may be better served to seek a more complete design program. I would suggest giving Inkscape a try. It is free and has much better manners than SCALP.  You should be able to create and export your work into various formats without the need to go through word or powerpoint. In Inkscape you can export the file or you can "Save As" any of a variety of graphic file formats that should get you where you want to be. If you know the px or pt size of the picture you are needing then you size your work in the program before exporting or re-saving and then you are ready to go with a nice crisp file to upload.

Since all of you seem to really know SCAL... Can I throw a quick question in??? WHen all is said and done and you are ready to cut... It shows the orientation or way the machine is going to cut your decal... My cutter is 24 in and I am cuttin a 35 in piece and its showing it being cut horizontal which obviously cant happen... so I switch the orientation in mat orientation and it still cuts it horizontal.... how can i make it cut with the lease amount of width??? its a 35 x 5 in word and instead of it cutting the 35 in all across.. my vinyl is only a 12 in roll also... so i need it to cut longer...

Instead of changing mat orientation try rotating your design 90 degrees before you go to the cut window.

YEP! But make sure you adjust the mat so that the whole graphic is on the mat or it will stop at the edge and leave the rest uncut. You can make custom sized mats, you probably already know that. 

• Like 1

Your text becomes an object. Put your weed box around it and group together. OBJECT > WEEDING then drag mouse around both and OBJECT and WEEDBOX then OBJECT > GROUP

Now your weed box and text are locked together.

Next go to OBJECT > TRANSFORM > ROTATE

Now you have the object traveling thru your cutter with the least width. If you want to mirror. OBJECT > FLIP >HORIZONTAL will achieve a mirror image. -kid

Thank you guys so much!!!! I think the problem is... When you can select your cutter... I select the new titan 2 and it doesn't give a size of the machine so it can assume that I have up to a 60 in machine to work with... Is this why it would do this also???

Real quick also... I did do the 90 degree rotation and my mats I use are all custom because I need it that way... When I start horizontal to create the image and it shows going to the cutter incorrectly then I rotate 90 degrees but it doesn't change the to the smaller way... It still would make it a 35 in cut horizontally... So I'm gonna try and do the group and weed box tomorrow!!!!! Thanks again.... Also what program do you all prefer to use with a MAC??? Illustrator???

.... Also what program do you all prefer to use with a MAC??? Illustrator???

That's a really heavy question. I run a  mac and design in illustrator and cut with SignCut Pro. Great combination. The Illustrator program has a steep learning curve so be prepared to spend a LOT of time learning. Once you figure it out then you will get to reap the benefits of your efforts. There is a free version on the adobe site that will let you get your feet wet (Older CS2 version). The newer versions have a few more bells and whistles and better ergonomics that are nice but most everything you will need to do is available in the older format. 

Some cutters also come with their own cutting utility (such as the Graphtec) so if that program works for you then you can just use that for the cutting. I started out with a P-Cut and SignCut Pro, now I have a high dollar cutter (Summa) which has a proprietary utility also but I prefer the SignCut Pro and stuck with it even with the new cutter. You either have to pay a regular subscription or you can buy a dongle for SignCut. I think there are both pc and mac versions of SCALP too, I'm just not a huge fan of that software.