SteelCityAirman7

Mathews, Mission, Under Armour

can someone say copyright and trademark!! you forgot to put that little symbol on there

• Like 4

Are u selling these???

Doesn't matter according to the law.

under the fair trade copyright laws you can produce 1 for yourself but it cannot be give traded or sold out of your hands in any form. that's what I have been told

under the fair trade copyright laws you can produce 1 for yourself but it cannot be give traded or sold out of your hands in any form. that's what I have been told

Could very well be right on that. I figure the safe bet is to not throw it up on the internet so I don't need to hire a lawyer to find out if I'm legal. Even if you're 100% legit some pos copyright attorney may try to convince you otherwise.

• Like 3

Could very well be right on that. I figure the safe bet is to not throw it up on the internet so I don't need to hire a lawyer to find out if I'm legal. Even if you're 100% legit some pos copyright attorney may try to convince you otherwise.

Ya buddy! The key word with the fair use protection is that it is used as "defense" and "protect" your right to fair use. Now why would you need to be defending yourself? Can you say hello mister lawyer and bye-bye savings account? I think you are absolutely within your right to make anything you have the ability to for your self but like jay said I rarely brag about it with pictures (although I have from time to time). 

• Like 1

because making and selling them would be illegal....and just because people have done it before, doesn't make it legal.

love the input...all about copyright and now how i did the work...

Im sure some people have done it before anyways.

Relax a little, you would be surprised at how few people know the laws and the group here is a bit touchy about copyright so as a group we tend to make extra sure that newer members understand. Maybe a tad too zealous but better safe than sorry so don't take offense. I have a customized harley logo that I made as a joke to put on a bobber that I built that says Hardly instead of Harley and I was convinced that I was all legal to sell it by the fair use act and got told by more than one member here that I'd be busted if I did. I spent a few weeks doing research and talking to a good friend who is an attorney and in the end found that yes I probably would be covered by the fair use act but the final outcome wouldn't be known until AFTER a lengthy court battle with a huge wealthy company that makes no bones about fighting each and every potential infringement case so I ended up just having it on the back of that bike and on a full zip hoodie and never tried to market it. The point of this novel isn't to further bash your ideas but to let you know that you are not the only one who has caught a little crap. Most of us in this industry, over time, develop a very unique skill set that allows us to easily tread on that thin ice and we just have to be careful. If you do a google search for the names in your thread heading it will bring you right to this thread and I guaranty that there are people paid to search out those kinds of things and bust the folks breaking the law. As I understand the posting regulations on this forum, they don't want to be facilitating things that break laws. Your work looked great btw and I'm sure it looks nice on your personal truck. 

Goose nailed it on the head. I personally am not trying to bash you but I like to know that you are informed about the topic of copyright. Personally there are a few things I won't do at the store because I'd like to keep my store and for the same reasoning I watch what I put on my vehicles because they are directly related to my business. My favorite description ever was from a member on here who said it best when he told me he was a "print whore" (excuse the language) meaning he'd print almost anything for money. We all do what we feel necessary to pay the bills sometimes. Still laugh every time I think of that description although for me you'd have to replace print with cut and there are a few exceptions we all make.

• Like 1

Well thanks guys, I sincerely appreciate it alot.
I just wonder how they do it all over ebay.
I have used mine to cover the walls of my room and on my truck. thats about it. I love the hobby.

Most of the stuff on ebay is chinese ripoffs...US lawyers cant really touch them...since they are in China.

Also anytime you see a big big shop selling trademarked stuff...more then likely they have a license.

My local huge shop, which does tons of race cars, police and ambulance vehicles, they have a license for certain stuff and it costs several thousand a year..

• Like 1

I equate the guys on ebay to speeding drivers, almost everybody does it and very few get caught but are you willing to gamble on being the one to get caught.

• Like 1

I equate the guys on ebay to speeding drivers, almost everybody does it and very few get caught but are you willing to gamble on being the one to get caught.

well said both of you.. thanks for the input

Agreed on all that was posted however if you go for the rights to print decals you hardly ever get a response back specially if your a smaller shop. I have requested the right along with of course how much it would cost to obtain copyrights on many companies and have yet to get a reply back, either I'm to small of a company or they just don't want to deal with you,

Send a note to Harley telling them you are planning to sell their logo in vinyl and see how long it takes. LOL

• Like 1