Sign in to follow this  
IPT

SCAP distorting my paths when importing.

I have an Illustrator file that is perfect in Illustrator's Outline mode. When i import it SCAP distorts some of the paths and even leaves one out. ANother file also perfect in Illustrator when I open it it's blank with no visible paths. Anyone else having this issue? Any solutions? I've already tried opening and closing both programs, even restarted the computer. I also made a tiny modification to the distorted line just to see if it would recalculate and draw it properly but it didn't (though when I removed the buldging path it did reflect that it was removed - though when I put it back correctly it distorted it upon import again).

post-84825-0-30137400-1393236775_thumb.j

man, this is frustrating. Spend hours in AI to create something and the SCAP distorts it. Happened on another pattern. Seriously making me consider this purchase. Is US cutter aware of this? Guess I'll need to post in the other area about compliants and comments.

man, this is frustrating. Spend hours in AI to create something and the SCAP distorts it. Happened on another pattern. Seriously making me consider this purchase. Is US cutter aware of this? Guess I'll need to post in the other area about compliants and comments.

UScutter does not do support for SCALP.   They did not create the software    Craftedge.com does  support for Scalp..   Contact Craftedge.com    Just like Adobe is support for Illustrator.    Have you done all the updates for SCALP? 

Is your cutter actually cutting the design like that?  Or does it just look distorted on the screen?

Post your file and let someone look at it. 

• Like 1

You might take a look at what version you are saving your ai files in. Try a few different ones and I think you will find one that works. 

No, it actually cuts it like it is, with the distortions. Is there an optimal file type to "save as" in AI for importing to SCAP?

Have not done the updates, will look at that now.

Seems like there is a certain level of update that you want to stop at. The last one or two were not working or something, or so I have read on the forum here. I can't remember which downsave version is best for scalp because I haven't had a copy since last july but you might try version 8.

BTW that is smart saving it already mirrored. I do that when I remember to, helps from forgetting later.

treid downlaoding and istalling that file, still same issues. What file type do you guys use to go from AI to SCAP? Guess I'll post up on there forum too.

I looked back at the files I was using when I had SCALP and I see I was able to use CS5 directly (which is the version I am still using) but I was having trouble getting multi-colored files to come through correctly and had settled on splitting them into separate color files rather than fighting with it. There have been several updates since then so I can't vouch for what works now. If your file isn't too big to download you might post it up and we can take a look and be sure it's not something funky in the file itself. 

I'll see when I get home. I am using CS5 as well. It seems to be distorting a lot of files, not just this one. They are small sized files since it's for an RC car but why most paths are good and some distorted is still a mystery. I tried saving the in AI last night in every file type available and either SCAP couldn't read it or the same errors were present. This occurred on two totally different files. Probably not something there is an easy answer too. I'll have to get over on the other forum and see what they say since that is where the developers are.

tried SVG, SVG compressed. I tried saving it with every option AI had to save it in. SCAP didn't even recognize some of the files and the ones it did had the same distortions :(. I contacted the customer support so we'll see if they respond and what they say.

You never did load the ai file here and let us take a peek to rule out any problems on the front end.

I'm not familiar with illustrator. I used Coral Paint Shop Pro to massage my graphics. I  use Inkscape to create the vector file. It does a very good job tracing the object while creating the vector file. How are you creating the vector file and saving it in what format? In Inkscape I always save my file as a regular SVG file before sending it to SCAL.

I have run into this  before trying to cut from pdf I saved in illustrator. I reopen it in Illustrator then save as .eps and all is well. Can't explain what's happening. I save everything in .ai for archival purposes and a copy in .eps for cutting.