diverse designz

beware of dog

i made 4 of these for a customer today. 9x12 inch each

i paid 10.00 for the coroplast with free shipping.

just curious what would you have charged?

post-76089-0-12478000-1392590732_thumb.j

I'd like to hear what some other people think because I haven't been doing this long.

If they were ordering more like 50 then I'd be down to $12.  That's just me.  

• Like 1

I can't remember where I read this, but actually placing a sign up that warns of a potentially biting dog actually raises the threshold of the homeowner's liability in case of an attack upon a visitor by that dog. The legal theory is that once you place a "warning" notice up, you've acknowledged that your animal is more dangerous than the average dog, and thus, you have an increased level of responsibility to prevent it from biting (you need to tie him up or otherwise control him).

In other words, you are at greater risk of being sued for negligence should that pet attack.

Without any sign, you can simply say "I had no idea he would do that -- he's normally NOT a dangerous dog, he's a good doggy."  but once you put up a "Beware" notice, it shows you have prior concerns about his violence-prone behavior, and as such, you've got to take additional care to make sure nobody is injured by coming into contact with him.

• Like 1

I can't remember where I read this, but actually placing a sign up that warns of a potentially biting dog actually raises the threshold of the homeowner's liability in case of an attack upon a visitor by that dog. The legal theory is that once you place a "warning" notice up, you've acknowledged that your animal is more dangerous than the average dog, and thus, you have an increased level of responsibility to prevent it from biting (you need to tie him up or otherwise control him).

In other words, you are at greater risk of being sued for negligence should that pet attack.

Without any sign, you can simply say "I had no idea he would do that -- he's normally NOT a dangerous dog, he's a good doggy."  but once you put up a "Beware" notice, it shows you have prior concerns about his violence-prone behavior, and as such, you've got to take additional care to make sure nobody is injured by coming into contact with him.

I feel if you enter my property uninvited.... you get what you get.... the sign is another way of saying "Stay away from my stuff"..... thus.... YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.  If something happens.... it's on you!   ;)

• Like 1

Slice is 100% correct. I did a lot of research on the net before I made a "beware" sign. We needed it to alert people (mail, deliveries, etc.) that there were large dogs on the property. It it strongly advised to NOT say "beware" as this does mean that your dog is dangerous and you will be liable. Period! What the legal folks recommended was a "Be Aware" notice as this simply means that you are advising people that such dogs exist on the property and no danger is inferred. Luckily, people will simply read this as "beware" instead of what it actual says. It has worked well for me for quite some time now. Here is the sign I have in front of my house:

post-16768-0-81619000-1392624240_thumb.j

• Like 3

I like the "And the Owner" part! Is that a shotgun? Sweet. You'd fit right in here in here in Idaho.

"The dog on the right has got a pigs head

Stu"

Yep, looks that way but not as much on the actual sign. Was the best I could do for a Mastiff at the time...

"I like the "And the Owner" part! Is that a shotgun? Sweet. You'd fit right in here in here in Idaho."

Yep, a shotgun. Again, the best I could do at the time.

Seems I have trouble finding exactly what I need and never enough time to create it...

On one hand, I'm surprised at all the responses to the thread. On the other hand, I'm surprised we haven't seen more signs. They were very popular at some point.

The beware of dog thing was tested in Columbia, SC in the last year or 2. 2 people were bit by the same dog in the mans fenced yard. The fence had a posted sign and beware of dog but they tried to have the dog taken and the owner charged but before it was all over they decided due to the no trespass sign that both "victims" were trespassing and had no recourse against the owner of the dog and in fact they could be charged with trespassing if the property owner chose to pursue it. Love it when common sense wins out.

• Like 2

It's black and white to me, if your uninvited and posing a threat I will defend myself and my family with whatever means necessary fist, gun or dog in no particular order.

I have cane Corso, the most beautiful, intelligent,stable and docile dog I have ever had the pleasure of owning until the switch flips then you have 140lbs of muscle, close to 500lbs of bite force that can run like a jack rabbit that is fiercely protective of her family. It won't

end well. Your going to wish you you picked the house with the pitbull.

• Like 1

That sounded fierce the truth is she will lick you to death but peoples with a criminal agenda won't even think about it as most people pee down their leg just looking at her.

• Like 1

or this might be how it goes down just to "protect yourself" from the sign.  Intruder enters property.... gets bit by dog (you had a sign up) to prevent yourself from getting sued.... shoot said intruder.  Now just claim "in fear of my life" and you and the dog are home free.... right?   (joking of course)

I'll shoot the intruder to protect my dog. Don't want my dog getting any blood borne diseases from biting the bad guy.

• Like 3

I have a big old half chow half black lab that is silver and black and looks very similar to a bear. He tries to act all tough but he's a real pansy. The UPS guy has him all figured out and brings treats. Last box I got he must have been in back because the deliveryman left his treat sitting on the top of the box! Too funny. 

I don't have a fence and I let my dog roam free and I have no sign (although he is old enough his hips are getting bad so he stays put mostly). I'm liable to get sued some day I just don't like chaining him up. He knows he's not even supposed to bark and won't do it unless it's dark and he wants in the house. 

• Like 1