vinylgraphicsfx

cutter comes tomorrow!

so ive been on this forum for over 4 months now and have read and read and read anything and everything I could soak up and learn! ive learned tons of cool things. but im still a little nervous on where to even start... I mean I know igotta put the machine together. I have corel draw and scalp for software but I don't even know where to begin on a design ive attempted at a simple logo but simple wont work forever! PLS HELP I know there is tons of vetrerans on this site!

Well you can post the design you need help with and any attempts you have made and im sure someone would be more then willing to guide you through it.

My advice is be patient and try not to get frustrated at the start. Once you get your machine up and running and start playing around you will learn fast. Some times hands on are the quickest teacher. 

My big tip for newbies is use the pen attachment and get yourself some cheap butcher paper to practice the first few designs to see if you have that part down right before you worry about getting the knife depth and pressure correct. One thing at a time.

Watch the pen and see if it's doing a double cut. A lot of newbs get a second object in all the white/open holes within their designs. Cut by color will fix that by turning off all but the color you are wanting and if you find you have those extra images then a quick search and you can figure out the best way to remove them. I see you are using Corel and I don't hear as much about them from those folks as with Illustrator so it may not be an issue.  

It's really not that hard but seems like a lot at first. Good luck man!

• Like 2

thanks wildgoose definitely will start with the pen! I bought paper bc I planned to do some sketch style designs for an art friend to use as a paint scheme so I will try that first and see how it goes!

Your situation is identical to mine to the last word. Even my cutter is arriving tomorrow! (So says fedex tracking)

Which model did you go with? I went cheap to start out with.

• Like 1

I started intermediate laserpoint 2. fedex tracking said it was suppose to arrive Wednesday then today now it says tomorrow so lets hope!

You will be fine with starting out. There is enough of us on this forum that will be willing to help out.. Just like wildgoose said do not get frustrated and give up. There will be times when you wanna throw your machine out..

• Like 2

Hopefully your machines will come on time. I had a vinyl order that I put in last week that took 6 days rather than the normal 2 because of all the nasty weather out there. If they don't you can always practice tracing designs. A good skill to have is the ability to hand trace an image rather than relying on auto trace. You get much cleaner results by hand but it takes a little practice to get fast at it. 

Homework assignment for today. Find a simple one or two color design. Import it into the program you use. Reduce the opacity of that object to about 50% and lock it so you won't accidentally select it then use your drawing tool which sometimes has goes by different names to draw bezier curves and lines around the object. I draw with no fill or line weight and then turn the color on after but some draw with some line weight. Don't fret if you make a mistake on the initial draw because you can and should go back around it with the individual selection or node edit tool and manipulate the nodes to get the lines exactly where you want them. It takes practice to figure out where the best placement is for the nodes. I would suggest going to SignTorch's site and download one of his free designs and open it up and look at where he places his nodes. That guy is about as good as they get. Also take a look at how he rarely has sharp corners. I looked at his stuff early on and have tried to emulate his style and it makes for images that cut nice with less pick-up in the corners. Sometimes you need a point but usually you can go back in and add two points just off the very tip and then remove the tip point and still get the same look without an absolute dagger point. 

When you are all done toss the original and you should have a very accurate copy. (Just be careful of copyright laws.)

• Like 1

wildgoose thanks for the great advice first off! so far I have imported and image from signtorch (german Shepherd) and his work is flawless from some of the other stuff I have seen. when u say 2 color image can u give me an example? so I know exactly what you mean? and how do I lock an Image on corel draw?

Welcome from West Virginia lately aka as iceland. As they said dont get dishearted if things dont go right to start off it can take a while to become accustomed to the machine. One point Ill mention is blade settings make sure to read the amount of blade exposed and set accordingly do not set to the half the thickness of a credit card that is not correct search mz sketters.post for blade adjustments she has gave the instructions a zillion times. Also adjust your pressure according to your manual then fine tune with test cuts till you get it right. If there is a problem read or ask if there is a doubt it may save damage to your machine. You can always buy designs already done in cd. From countless sellers on ebay and also from us cutter and the other sign supply companys. There are a lot of graphics that the members have made avaliable on the forum and there are a lot of people that sell graphics on line at a reasonable cost. Good luck

Hello, Welcome and good luck.  There are a lot of helpful and knowledgeable  people here that are willing to give you a hand. 

I'll just post it.. ;D

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

• Like 2

wildgoose thanks for the great advice first off! so far I have imported and image from signtorch (german Shepherd) and his work is flawless from some of the other stuff I have seen. when u say 2 color image can u give me an example? so I know exactly what you mean? and how do I lock an Image on corel draw?

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/topic/43549-printing-or-cut-help-needed/

This recent thread has a two color image that a couple of us did a tracing on to give you a good example of the kinds of things you will probably deal with with customers and some of the different ways to go about doing things. I have rebuilt logos from worn out business cards and even hand drawn on a napkin kind of stuff. For the lock there should be a little icon somewhere in the layers that will let you select a certain item and toggle between lock and unlock. I'm not familiar with corel to know where it's at. 

• Like 1

VinylGraphicsFX -----  I say, get it into operation, let that baby slice & dice and go right to weeding and taping that first decal, and put that pen into the drawer.

By the way, for those who are having mental blocks of designs for logos or stuff, it so happens that SignBlazer ELEMENTS contains a Library which features many cool weird cuttable logos.

Just a tip.

• Like 1

Mine arrived on time, going to try to set it up later but I will have to watch instructional videos or something because I'm completely clueless and the manual isn't great for someone who isn't familiar with any of this.

Update: Got it up and running with no problems!

My first decal ever, and my first glass etching project ever. Some spots on the glass turned out cloudy but not bad for my 1st try.

post-77567-0-66206700-1392521320_thumb.j

post-77567-0-83836800-1392521439_thumb.j

post-77567-0-74496800-1392521500_thumb.j

post-77567-0-79454500-1392521567_thumb.j

• Like 4

They aren't getting my joystick, or my arcade machines, or my couple hundred + nes games, or my bins full of atari games, or....yadayadayada lol

I have a friend here in Idaho that collects arcade and pinball machines. Has quite a collection at his place. Good old atari, fond memories.