Sign in to follow this  
IPT

Cut directly from AI?

Newbie, just setup my US Cutter 721 with the SCAL 3. I might use that program and I can cut from it pretty simply. I also have, and plan on learning to use AI (unless you think SCAL 3 is nearly as capable for weekend warrior). So once I save a file in AI what would be the steps to cut it? SPecific file type to save as, plug in required, or do I just reopen it in SCAL 3?

I had SCAL Pro I think you have SCALP too the three is in there but everyone on the forum just calls it SCALP. Anyway I never tried to export directly from illustrator to SCALP and I don't know if there is a plugin to allow that or not. I gave my copy away with my old cutter so I am rusty with the details but as of the last time I was using SCALP it was able to cut from native CS5 version of Illustrator. Not sure at this point with upgrades and all and I don't know what version of Illustrator you are running. About every other cutting software needs to be down-saved to version 8. I THINK that SCALP will cut from version 8 but it was a little glitchy with the cut by color when I had it. I often just designed different color files if I was having trouble. So I just save my files to in my current case Illustrator 8 (When I was using SCALP I just saved it then opened it in SCALP) and then open it in my cutting program. I have a plugin to export directly to a cutting program that came with my new cutter called MacSign but I don't really like the program so I use a completely different one. I think since you own SCALP with your cutter I would stick with it and worry about all the other new things you are going to find in your new adventure. 

Illustrator is a beeaatch to learn but WELL worth the trouble. It is the standard that all the other program compare themselves with. I'm not knocking the other programs out there because you can do proficient work with several of them unfortunately SCALP is very lacking in the design side of vinyl work. Decent for cutting although they are still lacking a few things they were supposed to get figured out last summer. The biggest problem most beginners have with AI is that its similar to having a high end professional camera that prefers someone who knows all the ins and outs and is comfy with all the settings. Once you get a handle on it you will find that you really mainly work with a basic set of tools. If you have problems post up your questions and I'll try to pass a little info your way. 

What version are you running BTW? I am running CS5 which is a couple versions older than the new Cloud based version CC. You may have to interpret my help if you have a newer or older version. The functions are basically the same but sometimes they hide them in different spots and occasionally rename them or change a default setup value here and there. 

When you are playing around with the program go into the "View" menu and select Outline mode which will let you just see outlines. This is what your cutter is seeing. So when you get done with a design it's a good idea to use this mode to check it out before you send it to your cutter. You will notice that any text that has not been outlines will show up as colored and not outlines and raster images will basically be a blank box.

Another few tips for your set-up tip is in illustrator>preferences make sure the following things are set: In General make sure "Scale Strokes and Effects" is on, in Selection of Anchor display be sure that "Object Selection by Path Only" is selected, that is a big deal, also select "Highlight anchors on mouse over" some of these may be a default on already. In Appearance of black set on screen display to display all blacks accurately. There are probably a few others in the preferences panel but those are the main ones. 

The last big tip I would highly recommend is back in the view menu there will be an option to either show or hide bounding box. Hide it and enjoy. As far as I have seen no other program lets you get completely rid of the bounding box. I did a 30 day trial of the newest Corel and it would get close but still had these annoying dots around the objects. The bounding box has a purpose and if you want to do a quick rotate or stretch or all that jive just turn it back on real quick, Quick keys "Shift>Command>B" or Shift>Control>B on a PC I think, the rest of the time it's just in the way. With the setting set this way you can select the line you want to work on (remember the select objects by path only setting) and if you click in the open somewhere it doesn't automatically select some object you really didn't want to select. By not having the bounding box on you can see clearly the line you are working on because the line highlights and depending on if you use the black arrow to select the whole object or the white to just select a node or line segment you can manipulate them as you see fit. 

Good luck and have fun with it. 

• Like 1

Thanks Wildgoose. I am running AI from the CS5. I am fairly decent with PS but AI is very new. I've done a few online tutorials and they have been helpful. Just need to put in some mileage now and learn the keyboard shortcuts and in's and out's. There are all sorts of little subtleties I am still missing. Like sometimes I can minus front sometimes not and I don't have the experience yet to know what I did wrong. Lots of little settings you need to be mindful of. Practice makes perfect, or at least better. I just know how much time it took for me to learn PS and I just don't have that kind of time now. However, I'm sure I can find enough time to make AI do more for me than another program so I'll just have to put my nose to the grindstone and get on with it.

Well I'm the opposite of you, I struggle with the other side. One big rule with AI is that all the functions are working on a given object and a lot of times designs are made up of several objects in a group like a string of text so using the Pathfinder tools will work on just the first letter in the string. The key to this is to make those objects into a compound shape first. The easy keystroke is Command>8 or (Cntrl>8 on PC) you can look it up in the object menu as I'm sure you are getting used to. That will take care of a lot of your pathfinder woes. The only bummer being that AI won't always leave things in a compound shape so you have to keep an eye on things in the layers menu.  Sometimes as you will learn you have to get done with other operations before you make the commitment to combine things into a compound shape but you can release it if you need to. I don't think it will take you as long to figure things out since you are already familiar with the Adobe train of thought. It will make hints from me easy since your running the same CS5 that I am currently running. Good luck and welcome to the funnest hobby/business on the planet! And a warm welcome from Idaho.

Thanks WIldgoose. Getting some milage now out of AI. Learning the tools and shortcuts in a manner I can sort of function in it now. Now an issue I'm having is after I save the file when I import it to SCAP there are some distortions, a missing path, or I can't view the paths at all. Posted a thred in the SCALP area but no dice so far. Have you ever had any issues with that going from AI to SCALP? Any solution?

Ya I remember that I did. Seems like it did better in one version or the other but I can't remember which it was. I think it liked the newer CS5 which surprised me because most other cutting programs I have tired like it in version 8 except when I contour cut with winplot and it likes version 3. If you are in doubt at all post the file and I will open it and make sure there aren't any problems with the file itself. 

I also started building separate color files for each job so I didn't have to fight the program getting those messed up. I decided on my big HTV orders from my maim clients to do it that way all the time because I can stack all of one color in a smaller area and save a lot of vinyl so i still do some files that way.