xbeerd

Oracal 651 and RTape Clear Choice AT65 "High Tack" App tape.

Ok, so i bought this Rtape ClearChoice AT65 high tack application tape because of numerous places saying it was good for use with oracal 651 vinyl. 

well. i applied the tape to the graphic and it is a real pain in the butt to get the vinyl to release from the backing.  

is there a trick to it? 

do i need to wait a certain amount of time before i remove it from the backing?

i applied some pressure to it, and it helped a bit but the amount of effort i went thru to get an decal off was rediculous.  I cant imagine what is gonna happen if i were to send these decals off to someone who is unexperienced in putting these things on.

this high tack tape is much less tacky than my other tape i have been using, which unfortunately i cant recall the brand. but i ran out of ti.

help?

I only use paper tape,  but  you should squeegee the top of the transfer tape real good,  then lay the decal face down and peel the wax paper backing away from the decal.  If it sticks a little, resqueegee the front again.  NEVER try lifting the transfer tape and decal from the backing,  It makes a big difference. 

• Like 4

Since switching to paper tape, I use RTape Conform Series 4076RLA - the RLA is short for Release Liner Adhesive (or something like that) which means that the tape actually sticks to the backing paper on the vinyl so that it doesn't start peeling away when you look at it funny...

http://www.uscutter.com/RTape-Conform-Series-4076-RLA-High-Tack-Application-Tape-with-RLA-100yd

• Like 2

if it sticks to the backing, is it difficult to remove from the backing then?

or is it just held in place enough until you make the effort to remove it

It is basically just held so that it doesn't curl up while it's sitting there. I use 4076RLA for everything but wall art and it is a great tape.

If your vinyl isn't coming off your backing, you may be cutting too deep. Try backing your blade off a little bit.

I do not know what they have done to the clear choice products. I always used at60 and had no problems, went and bought a new roll and found it would not lift ANYTHING, except dust. So went back and purchased at65, it is no better. For what I need it for it must lift the matte black 651. And until recently I had no problem with it doing so. I can not turn it over and peel that way as I use this to mask off glass before I sand blast it. Oh I also bought a roll of the paper application tape, it was just as bad. So is it the 651 that had changed or what.

I tried the RTape 4075 with Oracal 651 but it doesn't have the RLA and it is horrible since it doesn't stick to the release liner so i can't use it when i ship decals. ill have to the give the RTape 4076 a try and see if its better.

I do not know what they have done to the clear choice products. I always used at60 and had no problems, went and bought a new roll and found it would not lift ANYTHING, except dust. So went back and purchased at65, it is no better. For what I need it for it must lift the matte black 651. And until recently I had no problem with it doing so. I can not turn it over and peel that way as I use this to mask off glass before I sand blast it. Oh I also bought a roll of the paper application tape, it was just as bad. So is it the 651 that had changed or what.

I know this is an older post but you are so right about AT60. I used it for years and loved it!!! But then maybe like 3 years ago I was running low and ordered a new roll, from the same place, same R-Tape AT60, didn't change a thing and my new tape was terrible, wouldn't lift a thing! I didn't notice until I was half way through my roll, I figured maybe it was defective. After I finished that roll I ordered another and same thing, would only lift like 10% of the decal. Noticed AT60 complaints on various forums, I contacted USCutter where I had ordered it from, the rep said that they had received numerous complaints and they later said that they learned RTape had recently changed their adhesive formula. It's too bad that it still has not improved because it really was a great product. I now only use MainTape Clear medium tack.

As I understand it they changed AT60 again.  I bought some a month ago and it is pretty awesome on 751.