Sign in to follow this  
THEJTINS

can't get the bubbles out. please help a guy out

Yesterday I started doing my first two layer graphics on some mirrored acrylic license plates. I'm laying white Oracal 651 over Black Green Star innermediate. The layering is going fine, but no matter what metthod I try I cannot get the grapgic to lay on the license plate without holding bubbles under it!! Can someone please give me some advice? I've tried applying it with liquid and dry. I've hinged it, and freehand set it. I'm not sure where to go from here.

practice and go slow - it is much harder to get the bubbles with wet solutions - just squeegee the heck out of them.  I know you tried wet but not sure how you still get a bunch of bubbles.

A lot of times it's not a bubble that causes it. It can be a very small piece of dust that doesn't allow the vinyl to completely adhere. The gap  between the top of the grain of dust angling down to closest contact point appears as a simple bubble.

• Like 2

thanks guys. When I was using the wet method the bubbles were from liquid. When I'd pop the bubble liquid would come out when I'd press it.I squeegied the wizz out of them. the only thing i could think of was that the gap between the top and bottom layer may be keeping the squeegie from pushing bubbles out of the bottom layer. I used a regular squeegie and a felt one. The felt seemed to work a little better in some spots. I absolutely hate the thought of giving a repeat customer a sub quality job. Guess my proffit just flew out the window on this one.

Try using a better vinyl than the Greenstar.  Use Oracal 651 with the Oracal 651. Much better quality of vinyl.  From what I have seen of the Greenstar, it is stiff and thicker.  My son got some with his Graphtec. 

• Like 3

Yes the Green Star is thicker, and seems to be lower quality. This is my first roll of 651 and I will order it over the Green Star from now on.

• Like 1

I have found that a normal cycle or two of heat/cool will often just bring those bubbles down, as the material expands/contracts.

thanks guys. When I was using the wet method the bubbles were from liquid. When I'd pop the bubble liquid would come out when I'd press it.I squeegied the wizz out of them. the only thing i could think of was that the gap between the top and bottom layer may be keeping the squeegie from pushing bubbles out of the bottom layer. I used a regular squeegie and a felt one. The felt seemed to work a little better in some spots. I absolutely hate the thought of giving a repeat customer a sub quality job. Guess my proffit just flew out the window on this one.

If there is still liquid, then either you are using too much liquid and/or not enough squeegeeing (is that a word? well, it is now). There should be NO liquid left - at all. Start at the center and work it all out past the edges.

What are you using for app fluid?

• Like 1

I am by no means any kind of expert at this but since I started about 3 years ago I have figured out that bubbles come mostly from application error. I attribute it to bad squeegee technique. Don't use your fingers! squeegee in nice straight patterns without a skew on the leading edge. Go from the middle out in an up-then down pattern (or down then up). I'm right handed so I typically go from about the middle toward the right side then come back and go from where I originally started and work over to the left had side. place the squeegee in the near middle and pull it down using a good amount of force but hold it as flat as possible to avoid creating friction or drag on the transfer tape which will stretch the design and cause you trouble on your next pass. All this is harder to explain in writing than it is to do but you will find over time that you get less bubbles as you get more experience. I don't even mess with wet app much anymore unless it's a real large application that I think I may have trouble aligning. About the only time I fight bubbles much now is if the substrate is uneven. 

• Like 1

On something the size of a license plate, I wouldn't even bother with wet. If your squeegee is as wide as the license plate, it could all be done in one motion. Make a squeegee out of a piece of aluminum wide enough and cover one edge with felt or the loop side of velcro. (One of the license blanks would probably work if they are rigid enough)

• Like 2

OWjones I'm using water with splash fluid. I didn't think I would need fluid for the app but when The first one bubbled without fluid I started trying using fluid. I've laid with fluid and without plenty brefore and didn't have near the trouble as i've had with these stupid plates. I could possibly be using too much liquid. I was spraying the plate with two full sprays of the spray bottle and the back of the vinyl with one full spray. How much is too much??

As long as you squeegee from the center out that extra fluid should come out but that does sound like a bit much.

• Like 1

I was working on these again last night after work. I realized that my clear app tape is supper sticky. Is it possible that when im phlling off the app tape its streching the vinyl up and alowing air back in? I pull it back against its self. Like I lay the pulled part on top of the stuck part and pretty much slide it off. So I don't think im removing it improperly.

I've heard that you shouldn't use the clear app tape with the wet application method. It doesn't allow the liquid to dry from under it.

• Like 2

Like Jay said clear tape and liquid do not mix. When I first started I did a windshield that way and it was still wet over an hour later.

I recommend the paper tape as well and build the layers right on the plate.

• Like 2

I have been installing Uhaul graphics for years. If you are doing car graphics try using spray away foam glass cleaner. I did the van  parts as well all the fiberglass. This worked great for me bubbles came right out and had no troubles sticking to the surfaces. After 16 years of installation on many trucks per day, yes many omg around 20 per day I did not have time for bubbles.

• Like 1

Hey guys thanks for all the advice and tips. I gotta finish these up this afternoon. Ill let you know how it goes.

When using water and a couple drops of liquid soap make sure the liquid spreads across evenly. Sometimes when there is not enough soap mixed in you get dry spots which traps the liquid. Squirt just plain water on back of your vinyl and watch it seperate...thats what traps the water

• Like 1