addieleigh

What do you think?

Hi all,

I have been cutting for the last few years for myself but am fairly new to the money making side of the business. Thankfully I have some good friends who are letting me start out on them to gain more experience and get comfortable with everything thing.

My farrier who shoes my horse wants a logo for his small trailer and eventually his truck box that holds all his equipment. Hes basically letting me loose on coming up with a business logo for him (which is my favorite part). His only requests were that he wants it based on his business card (the font, info, etc.) and simple but not boring. And most importantly he wants people that have no clue about horses to be able to look at the logo and tell what he does for a living before they actually read what it says.

More specifically, He wants people to know that he doesn't just trim and shoe hooves but he forges them so he can make a custom shoe to fit any horse. So he is not just a horse shoer but a farrier. Big difference. Farriers don't like being called shoers.

What do you think when you see this logo? Do you think I hit the mark? is it clear and easy to read? its only a mock up so some measurements and stuff might be off. Not the final. Just looking for general feedback from people who know what that are talking about. What a better place to ask then on here!

post-67497-0-26253100-1389028489_thumb.j

• Like 2

I see you said it might be off just making sure you see this ...

Looks great just tweak everything a little look at the nips one is closer than the other to the lettering so make them even by maybe moving the text or the nips

I think I  would also draw a box around everything and line up everything within the box so its all even then delete the box...

I would be very happy with that

Hope this helps

• Like 2

Blacksmith and Horses is the first thing I though of before I read your note.

I agree with the critique from mr300s about the alignment issues but otherwise the design oozes blacksmith. I love it! 

looks great - I agree with mr300s and many sign software has grid lines you can turn off and on to help

Nice look, design and layout. I would do another one just to see. Correct aligning, ditch flame, make horeshoe bigger, reduce anvil, make phone numbers bigger and perhaps change the font used for est, town names, and services at bottom. Being a blacksmith is less important than the main fact this is a Farrier.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback everybody! Just got everything lined up this morning. also messed with the font on the numbers a bit, looks a lot clearer now.

ill probably throw together another one like tekcorps suggested and let Mr, farrier choose. Had a hard time making the shoe that big already due to my OCD-ness to keeping things somewhat realistically proportional. haha. But tekcorps is right its not about the anvil, its about the horseshoe. I just wont look at it too long :rolleyes:  

wildgoose - I use corel draw x5 with smart designer x4.5 add on. Cant imagine life without it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback everybody! Just got everything lined up this morning. also messed with the font on the numbers a bit, looks a lot clearer now.

ill probably throw together another one like tekcorps suggested and let Mr, farrier choose. Had a hard time making the shoe that big already due to my OCD-ness to keeping things somewhat realistically proportional. haha. But tekcorps is right its not about the anvil, its about the horseshoe. I just wont look at it too long :rolleyes:  

wildgoose - I use corel draw x5 with smart designer x4.5 add on. Cant imagine life without it.

Looks good. Easy to read. Keep the flame

Bottom line, what the customer wants. My suggestions were to make the sign/decal more effective. To me, if you changed Farrier Service to Iron Works it would a be a blacksmith logo. Also, name and phone numbers are the most important part of any signage and should be large and not obstructed by other info.

Bottom line, what the customer wants. My suggestions were to make the sign/decal more effective. To me, if you changed Farrier Service to Iron Works it would a be a blacksmith logo. Also, name and phone numbers are the most important part of any signage and should be large and not obstructed by other info.

There are two schools of thought on that though. Just some big phone number isn't going to induce anyone to pay attention so you still need to grab the first look with what is being advertised. Anyone who lives in the western states equates anvils, horseshoeing and forges kind of in the same group and basically all but the horseshoeing is gone now-a-days except for a few history nuts so any or all three are good eye-catchers that relate pretty well with a Farrier IMHO.

addieleigh - corel is a good program, sometimes catches some crap on the forum but it's all in good fun. I'm an AI guy personally and I tried a free x6 30 day trial to play with it but they are enough different I didn't have that much fun. I'm sure it goes both ways once you invest the time to learn a program it's hard to dedicate time in another direction. 

addieleigh - corel is a good program, sometimes catches some crap on the forum but it's all in good fun. I'm an AI guy personally and I tried a free x6 30 day trial to play with it but they are enough different I didn't have that much fun. I'm sure it goes both ways once you invest the time to learn a program it's hard to dedicate time in another direction. 

That is probably the biggest reason why I like it so much. I just don't know any better. Thanks to my dads last job I always got the latest version of software his business used for free. So I kinda grew up on corel I guess. Iv never really messed with any of the other popular programs because I had no need to. Like you said, once you have dedicated so much time into one program its hard to learn another one. And very frustrating!

Im sure they can all do most of the same things anyways. Just in different ways.

p.s. I didn't like corel x6 either.

Wow! You really did a great job. I'm new at all of this and soon will try my hand at designing a logo for our business.

I really like the attached pic. I contacted the on air company who this belongs to and asked if we could use a likeness and they said it was ok but we are gonna get that in writing before we do.

Can anyone advise me how something like this was designed? What program? Thanks, Robett