Pcrat

Thank god this didn't happen doing 70 mph.

So I bought a 1995 olds 88. rebult trans exellent engine brand new shocks, gets about 30 mpg. great car. 

My wife borrowed had to use my car because her alternator went out. 

I get a call at work from her...

she left gas station parking lot and turned,, heared a klunk , everything seemed fine.. she kept going. got to school parking lot.. went inside, then back out and got in to leave.. started backing out.. heared another loud ass klunk and now

the steering wheel just spins and spins while   she was sitting in a parking lot. car wont move. So i call to have it towed home.

I get home and look at it. and the whole rear  of the subframe dropped. the front is still up but looking at it dont know what is even holding it up.

Found out the subframe bushings rotted out. this is my daily driver i pick my kid up from work. shes taken this car to chicago twice. i drive the freeway everyday... im soo damn glad this happened in a parking lot and not doing 70miles per hour on the free way. once the subframe dropped the steering disconnected ( has a telescoping rod  safety incase of a crash so the steering wheel dont smash ya in the face )

she was pretty scared and also glad it didnt happen down the highway.

if this happened on the freeway or highway one or all of us probebly wouldnt be alive. 

but its fixable. 

• Like 1

Okay so you say the steering wheel just spins and spins with out doing anything.  Do you know this because you gave it a big spin and watched it  go?  reason I ask, if you did in deed give the steering wheel a lot of turns you probably damaged the clock spring in the column for the airbag.   Make sure you check that if the airbag light comes on.

You're lucky like you said that it didn't happen on the freeway at speed.

well she said it spins and spins.. when i got to look at it, i turned it both ways just spins freely. Was told it came un coupled .

no didnt actually just throw a huge spin on it lol just turns all the way around no " force feedback" if ya will

after i looked all over under the hood. i started the engine. No lights stayed on.

but yes wife was pretty shook up over this,.

omfg!! now THATS a car!!!

will need 23 red bulls to drive it tho lol

I had a 68 ford ranger pu 390 3 on the tree that damn thing would fly and i usaly did one day after coming off interstate 77 where i had been doing near a hundred at times anyway as i got ready to pull off the exit the sterring wheel poped and turned freely. Turns out the sterring linkage broke between the front firewall and sterring box at a joint like a u joint. The thoughts of that happening at highway speeds made my butt pucker bigtime. Turned out that a cab support had rusted out and let the cab fall some putting the sterring column in a bind letting the linkage wear.

• Like 2

As much as I hate how much of a scam Md inspection for vehicles can be , the inspection station usually always catch problems like described . Once inspected , never needs inspection again . WV requires an initial and a yearly inspection , but it seems if it stops within the parking lot and has lights it passes . I had a Peterbilt tractor inspected and it took 5 minutes . Tn and many states ( Florida ) does not require having a used vehicle safety inspection . I am glad there was no horror story ending for you guys :)

SC has no inspection program either but when I lived in NY they'd ride your butt every year.

I usually don't keep a vehicle but about 8 years old tops

My newest vehicle is 16 years old and that's real new for me. Other than that the wagon's a 79, the cj5's a 68 and the mustang project is a 68. New is overrated. Every year they lose more style and identity. I maintain my own vehicles so from a safety standpoint I can usually see a problem before it becomes a nightmare.

I maintain my own vehicles also . I am a welder and structual steel inspector amongst many other occupations ( Rodger of all trades , master of none :) ) , so structual strength is a constant observation for me . A 1995 vehicle is not that old , Michigan must rust them out much more quickly than most states .

NY was the same way. When I was growing up I thought retinning car floors was an annual maintenance procedure.

My newest vehicle is 16 years old and that's real new for me. Other than that the wagon's a 79, the cj5's a 68 and the mustang project is a 68. New is overrated. Every year they lose more style and identity. I maintain my own vehicles so from a safety standpoint I can usually see a problem before it becomes a nightmare.

I wish I knew more about  auto maintenance.  Daddy taught me to change the oil...'bout all he knew, nowadays with the whole recycle old oil thing it is easier and about the same price to just have that done.  Oh, and I can add windshield wiper fluid too!  Don't get me wrong.... I am mechanically inclined and do all home repairs etc.  just the car thing missed me.  Would love to have a classic or two around here (other than me ;-)

• Like 2

Yep I took tomorrow off of work to get started on it... it wont be fun. 4 day weekend. got some kroil and PB Blaster spray and a couple tanks for my mini torch. Pray those bolts come out.

dealer wants $360.00 for 4 bushings!! yea that wont happen not for just rubber. Buddy has a similar car, has the "Hockey Puck" design. had it that was so far for 3 years and still going strong. Think im gonna go that route. I wont have the car but maybe another year, and gonna sell it or scrap it or part it out maybe.. I want a blazer again. 

• Like 1

I usually don't keep a vehicle but about 8 years old tops

All my autos have life sentences i replace them when they die. Our worst problem in West Virginia is the rust and transmissions I suppose all the mountains get the trannys. I usally head south to buy used cars Virginia, North Carolina or farther if it is a good deal. I would really like to find another 79 f150 long bed I bought one new in 79 and paid a whopping $3995.00 2wd basic truck 302 3 speed on the tree it had the explorer apperance package that was basicly some strips a sliding rear glass and better wheel covers. Hell you cant buy a good used one for that now. I am about ashamed of my 95 f150 because of all the rust and patches.

yea the guy did all the reg maint on it.. a priest owned it before him. they rebuilt the trans, engine is exellent, brand new shocks, tires, timing chain, runs and rides great. so its worth fixing.

and i like working on cars...a guy my wife works with at the hospital told her today he has a 1995 mini van in good condition he is gonna just give us. just needs 1 motor mount replaced. we can use that to haul stuff around. 

my first car when i got here to michigan was a 1988 cougar bought when i was in west virgina, then bought a 1994 thunderbird, loved that car, replaced that motor, then got a blazer, then got 98, cutlass, timing chain jumped on that, bent a valve and punched ahole in the piston, then bought this 1995 88,  

lol my wife has only been through 2 cars since. 

my luck sucks

would love a 1995 monte carlo. I love that style.

I looked at new vans and trucks but cant see me paying 30,000 plus for a truck or van. I try to buy fleet maintained used cars when i can you are fairly sure of the maintenance on them. Used trucks are highly over priced also especially 4x4 which i try to avoid i prefer 2 wheel drive. It is a shame when you can buy a caddy cheaper then a truck.

I looked at new vans and trucks but cant see me paying 30,000 plus for a truck or van. I try to buy fleet maintained cars when i can you are fairly sure of the maintenance on them. Used trucks are highly over priced also especially 4x4 which i try to avoid i prefer 2 wheel drive. It is a shame when you can buy a caddy cheaper then a truck.

I thought I was the only one that still bought 2wd  pickup - I use it for pulling 5th wheel so don't want the 4wd . . . . and will make sure next one has the same gearing as present one - mileage on dads same truck was 12mpg top - mine 17-18 - not pulling but highway.  dad's new multi displacement gets 25 - again not pulling but highway

• Like 1

Dan, A guy I used to work with crushed his blue 79 long bed last year, no rust but some dents. Said he couldn't afford the gas to run the 351W so when scrap was high away it went.

would love a 1995 monte carlo. I love that style.

Don't you mean 1985?

Allcleanedup018-1-1.jpg

Dan, A guy I used to work with crushed his blue 79 long bed last year, no rust but some dents. Said he couldn't afford the gas to run the 351W so when scrap was high away it went.

Mine had a 302 3 on the tree and was easy on gas no ac and only a am radio i believe it was probably the best truck i have owned and that was a great body style back then.

Scott everyone around here thinks you have to have 4x4 heck if i cant go in one of my front wheel drives it is too bad to go out any way. 4 wheel drive is highly over rated .

• Like 1

I like that style but prefer the 76 back with round headlights. Compared to the 80's and 90's models they had way more style back then

I like that style but prefer the 76 back with round headlights. Compared to the 80's and 90's models they had way more style back then

Every thing had more style back then you almost have to look for the name badge to know what they are now a days the older cars you knew the second you saw them. I can remember when it was a big deal when the new models came out in the fall they made a big deal out of revealing the new models.

• Like 1