Sign in to follow this  
busterbay

Best clip art package

What's the best clip art / graphic package to buy ?

I have found several on *bay but I question if they really have the rights to sell the images.

It depends on what your looking for,,,  If it has logos/ trademarks, then no, you don't have the rights to use them.  Unless you get permission from the companies.

What types of clipart are you looking for?  Tons of legit clipart/vector images  out there. 

A lot of free stuff also.that is legit to use.   You just have to search for it.

It depends on what your looking for,,,  If it has logos/ trademarks, then no, you don't have the rights to use them.  Unless you get permission from the companies.

What types of clipart are you looking for?  Tons of legit clipart  out there. 

A lot of free stuff also.that is legit to use.   You just have to search for it.

What types of clipart are you looking for?  Tons of legit clipart  out there. 

Just basic silhouettes and simple swirls, shapes, cartoon faces, animals etc... 

If http://openclipart.org/ legit ?

Be careful on the clipart cds on the bay. They have a lot of copyright images they dont even have the rights to that they are selling

• Like 1

Be careful on the clipart cds on the bay. They have a lot of copyright images they dont even have the rights to that they are selling

Yeah I didn't think they could sell company logos for $12.

Beside the free site Skeeter posted, is Amazon safe to buy from ?

all the Master Clips,  Nova, Art Explosion, IMSI, Clickart,  are all legit.  Stuff like that on EBAY is also legit.  They are makers of clipart.  That is what they do. 

all the Master Clips,  Nova, Art Explosion, IMSI, Clickart,  are all legit.  Stuff like that on EBAY is also legit.  They are makers of clipart.  That is what they do. 

Thanks, I have been looking at a few of the master clips & art explosion sets I figured they were legit but one never knows.

I bought the super mega jumbo pack from the ebay vendor that Jaybird linked to above - there are copyrighted designs mixed in, and not just brand logos.  One of the Clowns or Jesters is somehow connected to Insane Clown Posse and is copyrighted, but unless you were familiar with ICP you probably wouldn't know that (I didn't!)...

The "Swap Meet" discs in that collection contain a LOT of copyrighted designs - the same copyrighted designs you see nearly every questionable decal vendor selling at flea markets, state fairs, etc. (Calvin, Betty Boop, Playboy Bunny Logo, etc.), and the discs for Bands are pretty much 100% copyrighted band logos, which renders them useless for most businesses.

That said, most of what is left is pretty decent clip art, although the PDF catalogs they provide you with are pretty much useless - pages print out with thumbnails that are well, thumb nail sized and grainy, but once you get past that you'll find a lot of good stuff you can use and I recommend it as long as you're aware of the caveats I mentioned.

Jaybird, I've got at least some of those strips that came with the super mega jumbo pack, and I think that is the same Stripes pack that is included in the second auction you linked, but I'm not 100% sure on that...

I don't buy clipart very often but since I got refunded on the cutter from my nightmare thread I figured I'd invest it and see what he's got on those discs. Guessing the mega vault is gonna have a lot of copyright but the stripes definitely looked interesting for the 1/100th of a second they flash across the screen in his listing

I bought the super mega jumbo pack from the ebay vendor that Jaybird linked to above - there are copyrighted designs mixed in, and not just brand logos.  One of the Clowns or Jesters is somehow connected to Insane Clown Posse and is copyrighted, but unless you were familiar with ICP you probably wouldn't know that (I didn't!)...

The "Swap Meet" discs in that collection contain a LOT of copyrighted designs - the same copyrighted designs you see nearly every questionable decal vendor selling at flea markets, state fairs, etc. (Calvin, Betty Boop, Playboy Bunny Logo, etc.), and the discs for Bands are pretty much 100% copyrighted band logos, which renders them useless for most businesses.

And that is what I am trying to stay away from. I could pick out most of it but with my luck the one I would miss would come back and bite me. My guess is the guy doesn't have the right to sell any of it if he has copyrighted mixed in.

This industry is flush with people selling what they don't own. Truth is that statistically you've probably got a better chance of winning the lottery twice than having trouble for copyright violation. You do your best to weed on the stuff you know is copyright and if you can't tell neither can most other people.

Since you're looking for "Just basic silhouettes and simple swirls, shapes, cartoon faces, animals etc... " then the MegaVault pack of 34,000 graphics will provide you with plenty to enjoy.

I own it, and have produced several signs that contain items from the collection.

For instance, a local horseshoeing guy came in to my store, and I used a horse.

Also, a few automotive repair places have ordered from me and they got vehicles added onto their signs from those disks.

Honestly, many of the designs are a pain to weed, being very intricate (Fairies, for instance)

In my opinion, there are way too many "tribal" items.

2769841-232584-patterns-of-tribal-tattoo

Those "Cut-ready" packs on ebay are not that "cut-ready" I wsa looking at some of the tribal I bought awhile back and they are horrible once you blow them up. No where near what Im willing to sell to someone. So they will need a lot of work to clean them up. Basically looks like they found jpg's of the stuff they wanted to sell and just used a trace program without cleaning anything up. I wouldnt waste your money, I know I sure wont waste anymore.

I've been hit and miss on quality over the years which is why I don't buy clipart often but I figured I'd give it another go and see how these are. Some of the stuff I've bought could of been better done with a 4 year and crayolas.

yeah mine are all from the same place and when a guy wanted a large tribal on the side of his truck, I got to looking at them and seen how horrible they were. Then went looking through the other images and blown up, same thing. Not something Im willing to sell without a bunch of clean up. Thats from the swap meet sets, and random other sets from same people.

I've bought cut ready stuff for multi color and they were just stacked layers, fine for print but no way were they cut ready. Some people have different standards.

• Like 1

I bought the FLAMES disk some time ago and recognized at least 35-50% were online images that would be otherwise copyrighted...

I guess the real question on copyright is how do you tell who holds the copyright when everybody act like it's theirs. Not to muddy the waters but if I buy a disc and the seller give me rights to use the images and it later turns out he didn't have the rights himself where do I stand. I have to wonder if I'm not as much a victim as the owner of the copyright since I purchased in good faith.

Those "Cut-ready" packs on ebay are not that "cut-ready" I wsa looking at some of the tribal I bought awhile back and they are horrible once you blow them up. No where near what Im willing to sell to someone. So they will need a lot of work to clean them up. Basically looks like they found jpg's of the stuff they wanted to sell and just used a trace program without cleaning anything up. I wouldnt waste your money, I know I sure wont waste anymore.

I've got to say you are not off on quality. Some are perfect but some looked like a very poor trace of a jpg. All in all if you don't mind weeding out the trash there are some good vectors in there but some of it is nothing more than filler to make the set look bigger.

Most vectors on ebay are auto traced. Or they are compiling free silhouettes online and selling it for a $10-20.

The package I bought they swear is all original content and there disclaimers on the discs about hoe they own the rights but yeah a bunch of it is compiled from traces and copyright images. The shame is is they just left the good stuff I would of been happier than trying to weed through all the crap on there.