This is my first time doing a magnet job. So I'm curious what others would charge.

Here is what I have

14x33 magnet, two color using Oracal 651 black and Oracal 751Middle Blue . Using the 751 for color matching purposes. Figuring an hour to an hour 15 min do everything.

need to do 2 magnets for car doors. Looking for some thoughts.

Thanks

Brad

Off top of my head: Magnet material times 2 + about $25 for the vinyl each.

I get $10 sf. but that's only for 651. Have to adjust for 751

3.2 sf = $32 each plus markup for 751. Most charge more than me just something to consider.

Local competition is why it's so hard to offer price help. ! do 2 for 40 and most around here are $40-$65. This market suck around here.

• Like 1

It's tough here cause if your too low they think your offering crap product. and close to big guys and they say well few bucks more and can go with someone that's been in business longer... Flip a coin most days

• Like 1

I hear ya. Down here there are a lot more price shoppers. They don't see quality all they see is price which makes it hard. I'm raising my magnets first of the year to $25 each but that's about all I can go and be competitive.

• Like 1

Whats hurting here is they will make ANYTHING, copyright or no. Was at flea market today for something to do, another local sign place has a booth there for the weekends and the walls are covered in branded decals for sale. Not a single one not a major brand, and you know they arent going to have licensing for everyone. You name it pretty much its there. Yes even the taboo H-D. Hard to be competitive when you stay away from that type of business practice.

• Like 1

Monkey, That is the same here. One guy told me fine if you won't do it so and so does it all the time... I did find out today that 2 of my future new customers called me cause so and so is putting out crap and not giving prices before doing the job... Really told one lady he would do her company shirts on shirts she already had, but wouldn't give her a total price till it was done..

• Like 1

I'm not perfect but I can honestly say that since I started redoing my books last week I am taking the high ground and tossing lots of copyright stuff so I can't even say yeah i've got that. Was never that big with the copyright anyways but it's hard when every 3rd customers ask about the browning deer and things like that. It ain't easy being legit when the other guys just don't give a crap but I'm trying.

• Like 1

Monkey, That is the same here. One guy told me fine if you won't do it so and so does it all the time... I did find out today that 2 of my future new customers called me cause so and so is putting out crap and not giving prices before doing the job... Really told one lady he would do her company shirts on shirts she already had, but wouldn't give her a total price till it was done..

A good name will carry you far. A bad name even farther.

• Like 1

I try my hardest to be perfect... and if there is an issue I either replace or discount the item depending on what is wrong with it. Usually customer loves it and I see what I did wrong, and they get 10% off. Drives wife nuts lol

Every tax season it gets competitive because so many take their tax refunds to buy a cutter and try to enter the market. MOst are gone in a few months due to lack of quality or skills but they still succeed in driving down prices. I stand behind what I do and tell the customers that my name is over the door for a reason. If they have a problem they know who to talk to.

• Like 1

Every tax season it gets competitive because so many take their tax refunds to buy a cutter and try to enter the market. MOst are gone in a few months due to lack of quality or skills but they still succeed in driving down prices. I stand behind what I do and tell the customers that my name is over the door for a reason. If they have a problem they know who to talk to.

Good Policy Jay, I do follow ups to make sure they are still happy after a few weeks..

• Like 1

Im currently looking into licensing form various companies so I can also produce their stuff, but legally. Not sure how it will go but we shall see......sorry OP for us hijacking your thread. I hope we helped at least a little.

• Like 2

Words to live by. I should probably stop hijacking and if I tick somebody off just let me know and I'll try to change but it ain't easy.

Was picking a truck at a body shop that had a space rented to a sign company . Just for reference , I asked how much to make a set of magnets scanned from my business card . $125 . Don't tell Stetty :)

I get $70 a set for 12x24 w/ 3 colors and $15 for each additional color beyond 3

Good Policy Jay, I do follow ups to make sure they are still happy after a few weeks..

That's a good idea. I'll give my ONE cusomer a call here in a day or two.