Sign in to follow this  
Tommy B

Starting a Vinyl Cutting business from home

Hi, I'm curious about what I would need before starting a business.

As in what licenses do I need and copyright stuff I should know about.

I do live in Illinois, so if anyone from Illinois has any info they could tell me, that would be great!

Thanks for reading!
~Tommy

Tommy, is that you in the avatar picture?

What's your age, like 15?

If you want to start a business, the first place to visit will be your local (town or county) clerk's office.

Also, you have to register with the State and collect sales taxes.

I'm not 15.

And would I talk to them on which license would be best for me?

Would it be along the lines of a small business manufacturer?

It would probably be best to just ask them. Talk to them, this isnt the first small business license they issue. Or do some research and walk in educated. Google is your friend. Just type in a question and get millions of results. 

learn how to do vector graphics before yu buy the cutter will help and if you do cut anything recognizable without a release be prepared to be sued - especially Harley Davison, Monster, Disney, Fox, NFL, NASCAR, etc.    Most of those you will need to mortgage a sizable estate to license

Tommy, is that you in the avatar picture?

What's your age, like 15?

If you want to start a business, the first place to visit will be your local (town or county) clerk's office.

Also, you have to register with the State and collect sales taxes.

Tommy, I wasn't intending to be insulting, I just found that avatar picture made you look REALLY young !!!  Ahhhhh, to be your age and know what I know now!!!  

Here is a little piece of information that you will find very valuable as you go forward --

The Federal Government (IRS) asks for people doing business to file their Income Taxes with a thing called "Principal Business Code" and you might want to consider using #541400   Specialized Design Services.

Welcome to the forum and good luck. I can't tell you what is required to start a business in Illinois because the laws and rules are different in every state, county and city. Your local city hall will be able to tell you exactly what is required for a home based busniss. Everything I needed was available online including the State tax and IRS registrations. Check out your city and state websites and I am sure you will find most all the info you need.

Tommy, I wasn't intending to be insulting, I just found that avatar picture made you look REALLY young !!! Ahhhhh, to be your age and know what I know now!!!

Here is a little piece of information that you will find very valuable as you go forward --

The Federal Government (IRS) asks for people doing business to file their Income Taxes with a thing called "Principal Business Code" and you might want to consider using #541400 Specialized Design Services.

The reason for the occupation code is for an easy cross reference to approxamate the average income for that certain trade and be able to asertain if the amounts reported on tax returns are a close average for the trade

Start at your state tax department ( also check your states web site some have links for different departments )

Btw hello and welcome Tommy

Okay, this is information that I wanted to hear!

Anyone have any experience with S Corporation? I knew someone who had that and it saved his butt when his business went under. (although he kind of put it under).

Just a heads up, I'm not looking to start a business right now and just would like to get some knowledge under my belt before I start making propositions.

Tommy, I wasn't intending to be insulting, I just found that avatar picture made you look REALLY young !!!  Ahhhhh, to be your age and know what I know now!!!  

The Federal Government (IRS) asks for people doing business to file their Income Taxes with a thing called "Principal Business Code" and you might want to consider using #541400   Specialized Design Services.

And it's fine, that's why I'm trying to get as much knowledge as possible at a young age so I can start earlier.

Thanks again everyone

Tommy I have been self employed for the better part of 40 years as long as you do things right, keep good general liabilty insurance and do not over extend your self financaly I dont belive you have no problems. Good business is to pay cash for every thing you can and charge only when absoutley necessary. At one point I was running accounts on every thing I bought...belive me it is easy to get to owing $100,00.00 and it is harder then hell to bring thatnumber back to 0. Check with your state and local county/city officals for excatly what you need.

Tommy says:   "Just a heads up, I'm not looking to start a business right now..."

Why not, Tommy? Do you have a day job and have no spare time?

Don't you have room in the house for this right now, or will you need to clean out the garage first?

How much more money do you require? Maybe a friend will lend you $300. and you can pay him/her back in a few weeks.

A sole proprietorship is simple to establish, it took me 20 minutes at the county clerk office.

Cost me a grand total of $75. --- which was $50 higher than their regular processing (I requested the paperwork be completed while I waited so there was a surcharge for that Insta-Service)

You realize that every day you delay, you are losing out on the ability to pocket some cash from a side business?

• Like 1

Tommy says:   "Just a heads up, I'm not looking to start a business right now..."

Why not, Tommy? Do you have a day job and have no spare time?

Don't you have room in the house for this right now, or will you need to clean out the garage first?

How much more money do you require? Maybe a friend will lend you $300. and you can pay him/her back in a few weeks.

A sole proprietorship is simple to establish, it took me 20 minutes at the county clerk office.

Cost me a grand total of $75. --- which was $50 higher than their regular processing (I requested the paperwork be completed while I waited so there was a surcharge for that Insta-Service)

You realize that every day you delay, you are losing out on the ability to pocket some cash from a side business?

You bring up a valid point.

I will definitely look into everything and try to get a start on things as soon as possible. I do have enough free time to get some things up and running and have been looking at a lot of information regarding it.