pmvinyls

Lots of indoor vinyl questions!

Hi everyone! I just started my vinyl decal business about 3 months ago and I'm wanting to introduce an indoor line of designs. I have a bunch of requests for indoor vinyls, but I've been hesitant to take the leap before I know more. I've been doing some research online but coming up short on a few things. If anyone here deals with indoor decals, I would sure appreciate your help and advise!

Basics to start: I plan on using Oracal 631 in the 24"w, that I know for sure. I have a Roland GX-24 cutter. 

Now here come the questions...

1. What transfer tape works best with this vinyl? I found a few sites that suggested GXF100, but I really like using the clear tape for customer applied graphics. Any suggestions on a tape that will release on slightly textured surfaces the best? Should I just go with the GXF100 and get over the clear thing because it's better? And on that note, for big designs such as stripes and polka-dots, is transfer tape even really necessary?

2. For multi-colored designs, which is best? Setting everything up on one sheet for the customer to just apply or sending the designs in individual pieces? I get making it easier for the customer, but I feel like I could sell the decals for MUCH less if I sent it in pieces with detailed instructions. For example, a tree with colorful leaves. If you send them in pieces, do you cut out each piece for the customer, or leave them as laid out on the cutter and instruct the customer to cut them?

3. How should I price my indoor decals? I've been using a formula I found online somewhere for car and outdoor vinyls. I basically add the height and width in inches, divide by 2 and round up or down depending on the difficulty of the weed. I don't use this formula for wholesale decals or large quantities, but mostly just for Etsy store items and individual decals. Is this a good formula to use for indoor decals? Any suggestions on better pricing? Still so new to this and I don't want to rip anyone off, but I don't want to undercut myself either.

4. How is applying indoor decals different than outdoor decals? I'm pretty much going to have to rely on what I can find online for application instructions since I'm going to stock colors as they're ordered.  I will likely buy one roll and do a few practice runs on my walls, but any suggestions or links to great application instructions would be amazing (I won't copy, I just need some direction).

5. How do you ship large graphics? I've mostly dealt with designs that can fit in large flat envelopes, so I'm not sure where to begin with large rolls. Obviously I want to roll them, but how loose should I keep the roll to avoid any bubbling or damage to the design? Where can I find nice size boxes? 

6. Was thinking of having custom squeegees printed to include with the designs. Do you think this is worth it? My thought is it's only a few bucks and will leave a lasting impression on the buyer. Can anyone suggest a supplier for these? Or should I DIY with plain squeegees and decals?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this super long post. Any help from the experts would be so greatly appreciated.

Kelly

Owner of PM Vinyls by Potti Mouth Designs

Wow, that's a lot of questions . You re in the right place I cant advise any of them I haven't ventured into wall decals yet, but someone will chime in with the answers you're looking for.

Good luck with your business.

• Like 1

1) I don't have experience with any clear tape that works well with Oracal 631 - the only tape I use with 631 that is reliably easy to work with is Oracal HT55 which is made specifically to work with 631 type vinyls.

2) That's entirely up to you and what you think your customers will want.  Unless you have access to large format liner paper and extra large tape, you'll probably have to sell anything wider than 24" as pieces for the customer to install.

3) There are approximately 1.35 million threads on this forum about pricing information.  Look at what others are charging on Etsy and ebay and price yourself accordingly.

4) Indoor/wall art vinyl installation follows all the same steps and procedures as traditional outdoor vinyl.  However, you'll want to press extra hard while you squeegee, especially on any sort of textured surface.  You might also consider going over the entire thing with a firm but flexible item such as a tennis ball to make sure the vinyl is fully adhered to the substrate.  Then peel off slowly and at a sharp angle.

5) Standard shipping tubes are available from a variety of online retailers or at stores such as Wal-Mart, Staples, etc.   Roll your designs with the decal on the outside to avoid wrinkles and bubbles.  Roll no tighter than absolutely necessary.

6)  That's entirely up to you, but how many people are going to keep their squeegee post installation?  You would be better off going with cheap squeegees and adding a business card to the package as that is more likely to be kept.

• Like 1

I love the "1.35 million" Jones. Awesome! 

Kelly. for smaller stuff I have used left over roll tubes, they are a little tight but you already bought them and they are tough. You will eventually accumulate at least a few and they are work saving. I don't ship much out but I often roll up orders on the outside to protect them when handing them off to customers. 

I have a felt squeegee that is really helpful on spray textured walls. Way to expensive to be sending them out in the mail though. 

• Like 1