Sign in to follow this  
OWJones

Best way to un-wrinkle a banner?

I bought a 2-pack of ZenBlank Hemmed Banners from USC and there is a series of creases across the top edge - nothing too severe, but enough that it doesn't look pretty.

Any suggestions on how to flatten/smooth it out? Hair dryer? Heat gun? Clothes iron? Get yo' mamma to sit on it?

Quick cycle in the heat press, move and repeat.

Any recommendations with regard to temperature setting?

I tried to seam one and couldn't get hot enough. I'd say 250-300 and it should only take a few seconds. If you need more precise I'll throw a pc. in the press in the morning and let you know.

I ran it at about 180° (my Geo Knight doesn't seem to go any cooler than that, unless it's turned off) and pressed it several times.  Every time I pressed it, the air filled with the smell of fresh vinyl and the banner would 'cling' to the top platen - more like static than like it was melting.   Pressing on the front side didn't seem to do much, but I would grab the hems and pull outward after each press and stretch it while it was still warm and that helped.  Flipping it over and pressing on the back side seemed to take out about 95% of it - I can still see where the wrinkle was, but at least it's flat now.  I'm hoping if I hang it in the sun with some weight along the bottom hem it will stretch it a little more and make it vanish.

After reading about others having major problems with the ZenBlank banners from USC plus my previous experience with a dirty banner blank, I think I'm going to have to break down and buy a grommet press and a roll of banner material and start making my own blanks...

• Like 1

Wow, hate to hear that, where did you get your blanks from.  I had a problem sorta like this one.

Oh, and when pressing your banner, did you by chance use a teflon sheet between the platen and the banner?  Sounds like that might have prevented the "cling" you mentioned.

They came from US Cutter - the first pair were 2x8' and the only real issue was that they arrived dirty and I had to clean them. This second pair of 2x6' banners had a single crease that was about 4' long and about 9" down from the top edge on both banners. It looked like whoever rolled them up didn't care about keeping them smooth - not sure if that is Zen's fault or USC's, but I won't order any more ZenBlanks after this.

I have been buying Banana banner at $1.91 a foot. comes pre-hemmed top and bottom and double grommeted every two feet. I have a roll of seam tape for the ends but I have also left it un-taped and didn't give me any trouble.  

If you do a fair amount of banner price the sqf. of a roll vs. anything else and you'll see why I but 54" rolls. I don't trust hem tape alone as I have had it fail twice that I know of so do yourself a favor and check out CL or ebay for and old sewing machine to hem with. It doesn't take long to sew the perimeter and you don't need to be a tailor to do it. Just look for a machine from the 50's or 60's when they made them out of metal not plastic and they hold up great. Uscutter has a grommet press (Frogger I think) painted green that does a great job and is cheaper than a bag of grommets for many of the other presses. If you shop wisely you can get banner, hem tape, grommet press and sewing machine for under $200 and make your money back in on time.