IradaArts

Can you use a Big Squeegee on a Large 48" x 60" pieces?

I'm looking for an affordable solution to applying application tape over large cut vinyl pieces.

I've been making text-only based cut vinyls but have been outsourcing the application layer to another company nearby. Unfortunately they can be quite slow and I would like to move that in-house. I have a 26" Big Squeegee that I tried using on a large artwork but it didn't turn out well (the center of the artwork, where the BS was centered on, was very smooth but the12" on both sides were not). From what I can see the only BS that is larger than that is the 32" but that seems like it will still be 8" short on each side for some of my artwork.

Have any of you tried using a BS on such large artwork and if so has it worked? Is there another solution?

I'm also considering getting the APPRoller which seems like a possible solution, but I'm just worried about using it on very long pieces. Would the height of that be enough to prevent accidental application on longer (50-100" long) decals? If not have you come up with a work around?

Thanks in advance 

I have a 52" BS that works great. 

Thanks for sharing! That makes my BS seem like one of my baby's toys . :)

Does it work well on application on cut vinyl? Right now all of my work is simply selling vinyl artwork online. We actually don't do much wall application at all. From what I read and seen on the BS videos, the black BS's are for cut vinyl application but I'd like to know if you have found the white one's to work just as well for this purpose. 

I love that BS! Mopar

on the quality of a webermade compared to the approller - it's like comparing the thinnest paper plate at walmart to a porcelain covered camping plate - one is thin sheet metal and dents easy (I have a approller I got when they was cheaper on ebay from USC and had a webermade - it was like a tank compared to the approller 

• Like 2

There is this     http://www.speedpress.com/products/2/44   for banners but it would work on most signs.

I want to get one soon i hope. Yes it is costly but the savings in the long run pays for itself.

my version with a newman roller frame and some clear app tape

post-2742-0-80956400-1375925561_thumb.jp

I've stared at yours in previous posts and have a question, in the pic above is the sticky side of the tape facing me?

yes it is, lay it on the graphic, squeegee it down and pull off liner - line it up with your coro (or whatever) -squeegee letters down and pull up - reuse about 25-30 times before replacing tape.  the tape actually is a little better after the first couple. 

with the roller frame it is easy to tension the tape

One more question while I've got your attention. Is there any kind of off contact adjustment so you don't have to worry about it sticking while lining it up and is it more seat of the pants

I don't have any but all you would have to do is add 4 rubber self stick feet to the corner brackets and then you won't have contact until you press down.  it was a rush job on a big coro order one night - made it much faster

I know we've talked about your setup before but those were the 2 things I kept forgetting to ask you about. Now if I didn't have to order a whole roll of clear tape to make it work.

Hmmm, I'll see if my supplier has clear tape and if they will sell it by the foot and let you know Jay. I'm interested in making one as well but don't need a ton of clear tape.