xpaperman

Logo attempt

Here is my first attempt at a logo for myself.  Not sure if I like it or not.  The Scissors has a personal meaning so I tried to work them in.  Not sure if it ties in right with vinyl cutting etc for a logo.  

Input Please.  Thanks

post-27312-0-52795300-1374972214_thumb.j

• Like 1

What's that font. Harlow? Design is nice, easy to read which matters more than anything else.

That looks good paperman..would like to know the font for that

Wow, all positive so far?  Nice.  Thanks for that.  

The font IS Harlow solid italic

Thought so I used it on an arc in my first storefront window, always felt it had a nice dignified look to it.

Hey, wait a second, I"M THE GUY called "slice&dice" -- that should be MY logo !!!!

Very clever, although the scissors is somewhat counterintuitive for a vinyl cutting business.

I would just make a slight adjustment about the placement of the rest of the word "raphics" after the stylized G --  it seems a bit too far away, by a smidgen.

(A smidgen, if you're wondering is a little less than a mite)

I agree Slice, I originally had it further right to try and balance the look.  Then I move it to where it should go and it just felt lopsided so I cheated it out a bit to where I thought it look best (to me)  That is why it is always better to have more than one set of eyes on things.  Thanks

Yeah, while you're messing with the kerning, also check the 'ix' .

I wonder what the G handle of the scissors would look like without the curling-back part. I take it that's how the font is constructed?

Yes, that is in the font.  I also wondered that and was going to try and tweek that and see what it looks like.  Or maybe if it curled back up it might flow better

Hey, wait a second, I"M THE GUY called "slice&dice" -- that should be MY logo !!!!

Very clever, although the scissors is somewhat counterintuitive for a vinyl cutting business.

I would just make a slight adjustment about the placement of the rest of the word "raphics" after the stylized G --  it seems a bit too far away, by a smidgen.

(A smidgen, if you're wondering is a little less than a mite)

A smidgen is also a little more than a tick just to narrow it down. :rolleyes:

Not feelin' the scissors

I am just not sure yet either.  My daughter loves it and my wife isn't really saying much other than "this scissors don't make sense".

In my defense, I do use scissors when I work  :P

I like the scissors, it's like throwback. Customers don't know how vinyl is cut, so I say keep them.

Everything is too straight, it needs depth, and dimension to make it pop, that's my graphic design background talking.

But I really like the concept and that's 90% of the battle.

If you need any assistance with it, I'd be happy to help.

Ignore your wife's opinion at your own risk.  :-X

"Customers don't know how vinyl is cut..." -----   They know it ain't done with scissors!!!!!  In fact, most customers assume that sign makers these days use Full-Color Printing.

That's where sign graphics has headed, and will continue to.

"Throwback" (old-time sign making) would feature paintbrushes.

large-format-printing-720x345.jpg

That's your opinion and your entitled to that. I like the scissors its associated with art, I believe signmaking is an art form.

Layering vinyl and pinstriping a painted sign is an art form, I could buy a printer tomorrow and be turning out full color signs. I don't like them. It takes the human element and artistic impression out of the equation. I love that element.

Sure people are enamored with full color prints, whoopty do. There will always be a place for a true signmaker.

I have a hundred year old stone wall in my yard made by hand, chiseled by hand, stacked by hand. You can't find these walls anymore, built by craftsman, with blood and sweat from knowledge handed down from generation to generation.

Ok I'm getting philosophical here but my point is, everyone is quick to dismiss true craftsmanship with the latest technology, not me I love it and believe there will always be a place for it in every discipline.

"That's your opinion and your entitled to that."

Uh, no, sorry, it's a FACT.

Full-Color Printing is absolutely, without any question, where sign graphics has headed, and will continue to.

You sound like a Luddite.  B)

Maybe I am, but I'm not alone. People still covet artistic creativity and there willing to pay for it.

And I'm willing to supply it for a price.

But I'm not in this to provide for my family, I already have a job that does that, so I have the ability to pick and choose. You want clipart designs there's a guy down the street that will do that. You want a 100%original artwork, I can do that, but it ain't cheap.

So we have differing opinions on how we view things, great it gives customers a choice. There is a place for both of us as there should be.

And I apologise for hijacking this thread.

I like it

Bob

OK, can you tell us what those scissors are expressing to you, regarding a vinyl-cutting graphics business?

We're focused on that aspect, because it stands out and even the guy's wife says "Uh-Uh"

Hmm, sorry to say, I'm with your wife on this one!  While it would look good with a little tweaking, I'm not sure that scissors work to express what we do.  Sure, we use scissors, (probably every single time we do a job)  But, we also use weeding tools, squeegees, etc- and I don't think we'd make any of those things a focal point on a company logo.  

I don't necessarily see why the scissors have to be related to the business as long as they help people remember your company be it for the uniqueness of your logo or because they think you cut with scissors. A logo is about getting an easily recognized and legible image and I think the scissors make it stand out so people will remember you.