I am looking at getting the 5-in-1 press so that I can do hats and mugs and plates... does anyone here have one and what can you tell me about it?  I don't want to spend my $$ unwisely...  thanks so much!! :D

I dont know personally from experience but everything I have read says no... I would spend the money on a nice swing away for shirts get cactus wraps and small convection oven for mugs (or just use your kitchen over) and get a cap press.

Like I say though I could be wrong thats just the way i would approach it seems like anytime they try to jam too much stuff into one thing it loses some quality in the function.

Yeah, anyone who is serious about mugs will skip a mug press and go with wraps.  The mug presses just don't apply even heat over the entire surface of the mug, especially the handles.  Scott/Dakotagrafx has posted some excellent example pics showing how the wraps give you consistent color edge to edge without the fading you see around the handles in a press.

Also, by going with wraps, you can add a new wrap for a new size mug for $20-30, vs. buying a whole new mug press to do a different size.  I picked up a counter top convection oven for around $20 at a live auction and use that for doing non-flat pressings - mugs and crescent award glass from LRI - no way could those be done in a press...  Oops, I stand corrected - they now offer a 3D heat press - http://www.laserreproductions.com/Sublimation-3D-Heat-Press-Package.html

I've not seen anyone ever post "I bought a 5/6-in-one press and love it and it was worth every cent!"...  I guess you could always be the first...  ;D

• Like 1

Bannerjohn, you're on the ball tonight. 1 minute spam and the next all gone. Very impressive. :police:

He He , I actually was posting last night about how I bought a $200 6 in 1 heat press from e-bay years ago & was/am happy with it .. then decided not to enter the conversation , but now I willl ....  " I bought a 6 in 1 heat press and love it and it was worth every cent " :lol: . I like the Hotronix air operated heat press I bought even more , but the 6 in 1 was a cheap way to experiment . Many decide that it isnt for them .. That is why I bought the unused Hotronix for $100 last winter ( people got tired of that business and sold out everything ) . I bet they would have been better off buying a 6 in 1 heat press rather than buying 2 Hotronix at around $1,500 each . The 6 in 1 is not a bad back up no matter what .

I have

1 hat press

1 16X20 clamshell

1 9X12 (not sure if right size) swing away

and a decent mug press.

I will admit i'm not a fan of the mug press for full bleed. you loose to much pressure / heat near the handle, and the top/bottom of the mug. However its good for single images on each side or even just one big image that doesn't get close to the handle or sides. Now for that said I'm planning this week on ordering 4 mug wraps got a big convention to get ready for at the end of august, I have full bleed image ideas so these will come in handy. If I already didn't buy the mug press I would have gone with all wraps.

" I bought a 6 in 1 heat press and love it and it was worth every cent " :lol:

Dagnabit, Rodger, now I can't claim no one says that any more!

Dagnabit, Rodger, now I can't claim no one says that any more!

Well .. at least you had that claim for awhile :) . The cheap units are good to start/try out heat pressing ... a cheap back-up also .