rlvied

Test etching for a shower door

Here is a test piece that I did as a sample for a Shower door. It is 8/10 on 1/4 inch glass. Let me know your thoughts

Bob

post-6565-0-91227000-1373216132_thumb.jp

• Like 3

I like it. How do you get the lines so sharp? Mind sharing your process? 

Thanks everyone. Coaster on the lines I do the outline first. I like to use 180 ao to blast with at about 20 psi because it cuts a little slower and it give me more time to get the detail that I want. After I do the main outlines I decide how I want to etch the rest then start to pull the parts that I want to blast differently like in a 2 stage blast. Some times I reduce my air pressure down to as low as 5 or 10 psi so I came add a little more shading. Here is a rose that I did so you can see what I mean about the different depths. Hope I didn't confuse any one.

Bob

post-6565-0-01335000-1373402184_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Paperman I didn't think I had the patience for it either but I found that when I am blasting that I have to concentrate on it and you forget about everything else and it calms me down. Try it you will like it.

Bob

I have 3 pressure pots. Two 40 lbs. and a 80 lbs. with different size grits in each one for what I want to blast. I have the small and large Harbor Freight cabinets and a larger pass thru cabinet that I built for bigger pieces, with the larger one I can handle glass up to 22 inches wide and about 6 ft. long any bigger then that and I set up a temp blast area until my blast room is complete.

Bob

would be great to have a shipping container for a blast room - if they hadn't gone up in price so bad in the past 5 years - used to be you could get one for about 800 - not now too many people using them for storage and building with them

Is the glass green? and if not how did you get the green? almost looks like neon light, very cool.

Is the glass green? and if not how did you get the green? almost looks like neon light, very cool.

green led edge lighting

Jay I used paint mask for doing most of my blasting, Like Scott said this piece this piece was lite with green LED lights but most glass has a green tint to it. You just don't notice it as much on thinner glass but on 1/4 in. you do. Starphire glass in really clear but it is costly. That is the type of glass used for most awards.

Bob

• Like 1