Sign in to follow this  
CodyMcAllister

Chrome vinyl that my Copam can cut...

I've got a guy wanting chrome vinyl for his racecar lettering and I'm not sure which one can be cut by my Copam. I've been mostly cutting Oracle 651 and some fluorescent (which was fun because I didn't think to check the thickness before cutting. lol) and I just want to be sure that I order the right stuff and get some help with blade depth and pressure and all that good stuff. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Ive cut chrome through my copam a couple times. It cuts fine. Just do a few test cuts before hand to make sure your set up and let her run. If you have a lot to cut, you can expect your blade to dull a little faster. 

• Like 1

Any brand of chrome vinyl can be cut, chrome vinyl is typically much thinner than regular sign vinyl, so you will have to decrease blade depth a little, pressure shouldn't need to be changed.

Also, some chrome vinyl doesn't last nearly as long as regular sign vinyl, typically a year or two at best for outdoor use.

However this chrome vinyl is rated 5-6 years outdoors.

http://www.uscutter.com/Creative-Films-PRIME-SERIES-24-by-10yd-Metallic-Film-003-Polychrome-Silver

I use oracal 351 and I feel ya on the fluorescent I had al of it cut for my Jeep when I found out how thick this stuff is and too expensive to throw away. The 351 chrome reminds me of aluminum foil consistency but lays nice on flat and almost flat surfaces.

The chrome that I've cut is actually an adhesive polyester film - not vinyl - it's a little more rigid, but cuts and weeds like a dream.  It is extremely susceptible to scratches.   It also doesn't have a very good life expectancy when exposed to UV, or so I've been told.  I have so far only used it for indoor projects and it has held up OK - except for the scratching...

fdc coburn is my go to chrome - and yeh it eats blades - the very reason I have a separate chrome, mettalics, reflectives blade and holder.  if anyone needs any chrome freznal lens vinyl I have some in the sbt area for 45+ shipping - popular with the race car crowd