gcextreme

Multi-layered Vinyl Help

ok ive been looking thru the forum, and trying to find out what is the best method for applying a multi-layered/colored vinyl.

Should i do a wet application???

Should i use clear app tape or not?

I'm trying to do my GC-EXTREME logo in RED with a yellow outlined background...

I thought there was a video on here, but i can't seem to find it.

Hello GC, I've done a few multi-colored jobs. I create registration marks on the different layers then I use clear masking. I just did a back glass on a buddies truck and I used Rapid Tac 1. It turned out perfect. Have a good one !

yeah i just apply registration marks to all the layers and i use clear application tape for my multi color decals. as for application ive done them both wet and dry and had good results both ways. 

Ive tried wet..and im either doing it wrong or it just sucks....cant get it to dry and stay...

u

Ive tried wet..and im either doing it wrong or it just sucks....cant get it to dry and stay...

If it is on glass try rapid tac two and also if you are using intermediate vinyl but on premium vinyl or in hot weather it may dry too quick .

I will try that....my issue is its not drying!

I put on a two layerd decal on my topper window glass yesterday eve, did it wet, and its still not dry today...ive squeegeed the hell out of it!...its not drying or sticking to the glass...

Is the red/yellow vinyl on good and just the app tape that's bubbled?  Hard to tell from the pic.  

Yeah its on good, the app tape is like that from me trying to peel it off and the vinyl isnt staying on th glass...

And this clear tape just sucks period...its the Rtape...

I'm just going from memory here as I've yet to try this but I thought I read a lot of people use paper backed app tape then soak it with a wet solution, let it soak through, then peel the backing off.  Am I remembering incorrectly?

a wet application with clear tape will never dry. Use paper tape only for wet installs. 

IMO clear tape is all around garbage. I have never been happy with it and refuse to use it.

• Like 1

Im begining to think its garbage too, but using the nonclear stuff i cant see my registration marks for crap...

I read a write up on doing wet apps and it said to use clear...

For one i just know i need more practice applying vinyl.....but my graphtec is cutting great tho!!

I have alot of requests for simple solid one color stuff and im making some money on those...

I just want to practice and get good with 2+ LAYERS..

make a light table, use a window, etc. But I suggest getting away from clear tape. If going on anything with more complex curves clear tape does not conform like paper either. 

Paper tape is all I use. Glass is a little harder to apply to.First clean very well then clean with alcahol before applying . Usaly on glass I will apply let set a while then come back and spray the (paper tape ) with app fluid let set then remove tape .

A side note keep paper towels handy to dry off while you squeege to keep it from seeping back under the tape and vinyl .

I agree with MOPAR 691.  Throw that clear app tape out!   I also use a light table or reg. marks on larger semi lettering ect.  I have applied wet or dry.  If I apply wet I use very little spray, I don't know if  that's right, but it works for me.  I also spray the app tape to help loosen up a bit before pulling off.   

when i did my lettering yesterday glenn i had the same problem with the clear tape.. iam going back to the paper tape once i have a order to get n\more supplies.. 

my factors for yesterday for the long process of removing the tape was it was not drying but then it was a little to cool out too maybe not warm enough. but im still wanting to go back to paper tape

I've used clear and paper tape and i always seem to have better luck with clear tape and if your selling decals the customers can see the decal with the clear tape but I've had a lot of issues trying to find that perfect tape for my oracal 651 vinyl. i got the Rtape paper and it just doesn't seem that great to me and i got the greenstar clear tape and its been so so 

Try Main Perfect Tear medium tack paper tape. .  That is all I have used for several years.  And I started with R-tape Conform 4050.RLA .medium tack,  I prefer Main much better. 

Try Main Perfect Tear medium tack paper tape. .  That is all I have used for several years.  And I started with R-tape Conform 4050.RLA .medium tack,  I prefer Main much better. 

Where do u get that at? Link?

I have purchased my Main Transfer Tape from this EBAY seller for years.  Jack Ripper.     I use a lot of tape so I purchase the 48" log and they slit it FREE to your specs.  But they have a lot  of other sizes.   They are located in Michigan, So, I get next day shipping if ordered before noon. I am a state away. Great service

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200923872485