Sign in to follow this  
rdusigns

Cheap Light Table

Used:

2 saw horses, 2,  2x4 studs, 1 old lamp, 1 storm door full glass insert

only thing I had to get was the door insert which I got down at the habitat for humanity for $1 - they are all tempered glass so you can put some weight on them or bare down

this table provides a nice cutting surface that wont wear out your blades and with a lamp underneath, it makes seeing through our work very easy.

table.jpg

total cost if you bought everything new at lowes or home depot is: under $75

• Like 1

they are all tempered glass so you can put some weight on them or bare down

Tempered glass is only strong on the two flat sides and it takes very little pressure from the edges to shatter it.  It looks like you've got some sort of aluminum trim around the edge, which is a good start, but I'd recommend building a wood frame to further protect the edge and further weight it down and keep it from sliding if you lean against it.

Do you only use this table for pealing or do you use the razor on it as well?

its a cutting / makeup table - razor does not harm glass and does not get dull (as fast)

Tempered glass is only strong on the two flat sides and it takes very little pressure from the edges to shatter it.  It looks like you've got some sort of aluminum trim around the edge, which is a good start, but I'd recommend building a wood frame to further protect the edge and further weight it down and keep it from sliding if you lean against it.

yes it's a storm door insert which has a aluminum frame which does protect the edges

as far as strength, I could stand on this glass and I weigh about 185lbs.

yes, I do plane on building a more comprehensive frame as well as incorporating a 4' fluorescent light underneath ....but it works for now :)

Ive got an old storm door in the garage, has 2  glass in it sliders up an down, i could just cut out my table and put it on there, level with the top. and a stud to go across the center, so incase too much pressure in the middle, 

Huh,... Thanks

i was looking into Plexi glass, but the prices on a huge sheet, and lowes, wont cut it down for me neither, have to buy a full sheet, so this is a better idea,

Nice job!

thanks rat, if you have a habitat store near you I'd suggest you givem a try - you could even use a sliding glass door panel, it's tempered glass as well. Plexiglass and lexan wouldnt work very well as your knife would cut into it and get stuck + wear out really fast.

the light underneath really helps in make up and cutting a lot!

here is an example:

this is white vinyl on the blue backer, the ruler is under the backer 

with flash on camera

table2.jpg

and what it looks like to the naked eye (no camera flash)

table3.jpg

Also, another good idea is to check with a local glass shop.  Preferably a mom and pop place, ask them if they have any "mistake" tempered glass.  Lots of times they will have leftover pieces from jobs that were measured wrong and they are stuck with the glass.  Make them an offer on a piece of the stuff "they are stuck with".  You might be surprised what you can come up with.