Sign in to follow this  
moparmanheat1

Senario for "The Professionals" or Anyone

Hello All, I have a scenario for "The Professionals"  and would be Very Grateful for your Feedback.

Someone hands you a business card and says "Make me some vinyl lettering just like this for my truck"?

The card is nothing fancy, Black and Red lettering and 1 letter has a red and white checkered flag off it

Would You,

1. Scan the Card save as a JPEG or a PDF at 600 dpi

2. Import into Inscape

3. Vectorize It

4. Then convert to SVG

5. Then import into cutting software

Or do I have it all wrong and there is a better way of doing it? How does a newbie know when to vectorize?

Thanks in Advance!

Like smokey said. I would always try to recreate it. A letter and simple checkered flag wouldn't be hard to make. What you can do to help is scan the card and use it to do a manual trace of the design. Just dont trace the fonts.  Run those through one of the font search engines found online. Search for font id or something like that.

You can trace the letter that has the flag depending how its incorporated. 

Give it a shot and then post your results and ask any questions you have. Just start pushing buttons, youll learn quick. 

• Like 1

Where is the original artwork file that the card-maker utilized?

Cards have to be printed from a digital file.

In your example, I am not going to scan the card.

Recreate.

• Like 1

I would scan and manually redraw. It takes me forever to find the right font so I usually just redraw.

Jay

with a image that simple i don't know why you couldn't just try to do a trace vector on it and use it to cut from therefore its exactly like the business card. i would only recreate it if it was absolutely needed.

with a image that simple i don't know why you couldn't just try to do a trace vector on it and use it to cut from therefore its exactly like the business card. i would only recreate it if it was absolutely needed.

Most times and this is one of them, faster to recreate. No node editing at all and it is really simple. That way your output is spot on instead of a trace that your fighting rounded corners and not true straight font lines. 

• Like 1

+ 1 for mopar. Every time I trace I end up taking twice as long cleaning it up the to recreate.

Jay

Sometimes you can send to a company that vectorizes and they really don't charge much compared to your time recreating it.