TimnAng

Latest Order & A Question

Ok, so... since we began making decals again, I've picked up a lot of images from all over (quite a few from here, thanks again to everyone that has shared!)   Some ready to cut, and some images that I've traced and vectorized myself.  My question is, how on earth do you all keep track of everything?  I have a hard enough time keeping everything organized, but my real question, is how do you remember which images are ok for you to cut and sell- does that make sense?  Like some are for personal use only, some say it's alright to reproduce.  Maybe when downloading them, I should have separated everything a little more clearly...  I just don't want to step on anyone's toes.  

A friend asked me to put together a decal for her wall... I sent her an image, she asked that I change the graphic.  I did.  She asked that I change it again.  I did.  She asked AGAIN.  So, I did.  But, this time I sent her SEVEN other options... turns out, that was a good idea, she ended up loving 3 of them, and instead of the one that I thought I was selling her, I ended up tripling the order.  Nice!  

Nothing too fancy, but I enjoy doing them...

Edited to add:  These are cut 24" x 20".

post-37278-0-11748300-1364490140_thumb.j

post-37278-0-63434500-1364490140_thumb.j

post-37278-0-07574300-1364490141_thumb.j

I'm still new to this and figuring things out but what I am doing so far is to keep several different folders that I number so the go in order of my workflow, such as:

1. Need vectorized

2. Needing work

3. Ready for first cut ( I plan on cutting images at least once before considering them ready for selling to ensure I can cut them cleanly)

4. On Sale

Etc...

Below all those folder are the categorized folders for the vector graphics

By numbering the folder first they will be at the top of your vector folder and stay in the oder that follows your workflow.

I do have separate folders... For instance:  Images to trace, In progress (files I've begun working on, but still need some attention), Good (files that I've traced and put together myself) and then the other folders are file types (SVG, AI, EPS, etc.)   I've gotten a pretty good handle on keeping that part of things organized.  It's amazing how quickly files add up, and I knew that if I didn't start by keeping things at least somewhat organized, it could get out of control very quickly!  

I have over 150,000 images of clip art a bought as a package form a guy... so if you guys figure a good way to  file them please let me know   lol :blink:

Yikes, that's insane!  I think I'm right around 4-5,000, and I organize them bit by bit each day.  I open them, export them into SVG format and rename them so they're easier for me to find when I'm on the hunt for something particular.    My main concern is cutting and selling something that I shouldn't be selling!  The obvious CW images aren't an issue, I can obviously tell which big names are a no-no.   ;)   It's the other, more random files that I was wondering about.

Those are beautiful!!  I keep my graphics two ways - one is customer specific, and the other is group specific.  Customer specific would be things like the vectors I use for my Arsenal softball team... group specific would be the different angels I've collected over the last couple years or all the different baseball vectors I have.  The stuff that needs vectoring is in an "In Process' folder on my desktop in a folder that is customer specific or just a general group folder.  Does that make sense?  :rolleyes:

I have a plan.... one day I HOPE  to be organized....  I like Ang, new if I didn't get a hold on it from the beginning I would get snowed under....... I am in the middle of a blizzard!  LOL.

I have files for completed work . Clip art on disc I leave on the disc and only down the image I want but have hundreds on the hard drive plus the completed job files . It takes a while to find the vector I need sometimes .............. Nice work

Thanks for the kind words everyone, I appreciate it.  She picked them up this evening, and loved them!  

Yikes, that's insane!  I think I'm right around 4-5,000, and I organize them bit by bit each day.  I open them, export them into SVG format and rename them so they're easier for me to find when I'm on the hunt for something particular.    My main concern is cutting and selling something that I shouldn't be selling!  The obvious CW images aren't an issue, I can obviously tell which big names are a no-no.   ;)   It's the other, more random files that I was wondering about.

How are you exporting the files to .svg? Are you taking eps files and converting them to .svg files somehow? Please tell me you are! I need a good way of doing this. 

How are you exporting the files to .svg? Are you taking eps files and converting them to .svg files somehow? Please tell me you are! I need a good way of doing this. 

Absolutely, I am... and it's super easy!

I import the EPS into Make  a Cut, and then I export it to an SVG file, rename it and save it.  Works like a charm, and I can export and convert AI's that way as well.  I prefer to do most of my work in SCALP, so having everything as the same file type really helps me out.  

Oh well of course I dont have sure cuts a lot. Ill have to find another way. There should be a converter I can download to do it.

I am pretty obsessive about keeping my clip art organized (sadly it is the only part of my operation that actually is organized!) and although I don't claim that my way is the best way, this is how I do it.

I have a basic \Clip Art folder that everything resides in.

Under that are additonal folders like Bitmap Clip Art, Vector Clip Art, My Designs, Images to Vectorize, Etc.

If you open the My Designs folder you'll find additional folders such as Designs for Customers, Designs for Events, and then I have individual folders for each and every one of my original designs which contains the original design file (usually in CorelDraw format) and an exported JPG image file.  I also have a folder called Posted and after I post a design on Facebook, the design's folder gets moved there so I don't re-post an image.  If I have a particularly large set of themed designs, for example Horse decals, I'll create a folder named after the theme and move all corresponding design folders under that one to make them easier to find.

Once you delve into the Vector Clip Art folder is when you realize how insane my folder structure is.  Need a lobster? It's under \Clip Art\Vector Clip Art\Fauna\Animals - Marine\Crustaceans\.  Need a flying horse?  Look in \Clip Art\Vector Clip Art\Fantasy\Creatures\Pegasus and Unicorn\.

Is it anal-retentive?  Probably.  Can I quickly find what I'm looking for? Absolutely - most of the time. :rolleyes:

Can you share the cross&dove? VERY nice work. I'm impressed. Also, what is the font name for that text?

• Like 1

I used three different fonts... The large capital letters are Edwardian Script ITC, the cursive text is Tangerine and Phil 4:13 is Microsoft Uighur.

Here's the file for the cross & dove:

CrossDove.svg

I used three different fonts... The large capital letters are Edwardian Script ITC, the cursive text is Tangerine and Phil 4:13 is Microsoft Uighur.

Here's the file for the cross & dove:

Thanks so much. You are awesome. I wish i could help you as much as you've helped me!

I also have a folder and sub folders for each customer.  That way when someone asks, Do you remember the decal you cut a while ago?  I'm able to go right to it.  I can also make notes on a word document about the fonts I used for a specific job.  I also keep the size of the image made in case I need to duplicate a job for a customer.

I just lost a hard drive with all my artwork and customer files on it.  Luckily I was able to recover some of the files by extracting them out of the emails I sent.  So now I cant stress enough the importance of backing up your files 

Thanks so much. You are awesome. I wish i could help you as much as you've helped me!

Thanks a bunch... I'm just happy to be of some help, I've gotten a lot of great help here from others.   :)