doktorek

What are signs of old vinyl; too much pressure?

Hi

Im new to the cutter world. What are the signs of "old vinyl" that has been sitting on a shelf.

I have few issues and I dont know if Im cutting to deep or the vinyl is just crappy. 

Once I weed it out, put a mask tape and try to take the backing paper off, part of packing paper (very thin layer) sticks to vinyl letters. Its like backing paper tears from itself.  I have to scrape it off or peel it again before applying to surface.  I dont know why that is happening. Im either cutting with too much force or its a crapy vinyl.

This is only happening to me from time to time.  I was using a punched 15" oracle 651. That one was terrible. 

Thanks

You are cutting too deep. You shouldn't be cutting into the backing paper at all. Back of the pressure or the blade or both.

Most common mistake is to much blade exposed and or to much pressure like Jay said. Try adjusting your blade. Very very little needs to be sticking out of the holder. Take the holder out of the machine and try cutting on a piece of scrap vinyl. Use quite a bit of force and adjust your blade until it only leaves an indent in the backing. Make sure you bend the backing along that line and make sure it wasnt cut through. Once you get the blade adjusted, youll almost never have to mess with it again.

About your question of old vinyl. I bought some old vinyl off a guy that sold his cutter. It was pretty old. It still cuts alright. Weeding is more of a pain but only a little. The only thing I really notice is that it seems a little more stiff. Its not as soft.

As a side note on old vinyl. I purchased some overstock from my supplier a few years ago and it didn't feel as sticky as normal. I made a banner with it and the next day the letters were laying on the ground in front of it. Beware of vinyl that has layed around for too long.

Thanks,

Jay

Thanks guys. It seemed like this only happened to me with one type of vinyl.  I will just decrease the pressure from 250 down to 175.

You should do a test cut or cuts and adjust if needed test again till you get the cutter set right before sending any files to the cutter . You should test whenever you change vinyls have had the same vinyl in a different color that did not cut as well on the same settings . Your blade depth is the most important as stated above.

Dan

Is there a default pressure setting for most 631 and 651 Oracal vinyls?    I used to use 100 and I had problems weeding. So I put 250, it worked great on few vinyls but screwed me up on one of them.   I guess I have to test each and find a suite spot.

Another note... If that happens again once you peal the paper wet what is left behind and it will come right off

MM64 B)

You have too much blade exposed & it is cutting into the backing paper . Reduce blade exposure . IMO & experience .. if you have to reduce the pressure to not cut the backing paper , you have too much blade exposed . I think it has to do with blade pressure on the backing paper a little bit , but mostly blade holder pressure on the vinyl to get good consistant cuts . I get rub marks on white vinyl , but it wipes right off . I have the bottom of my blade holder highly polished . I do the manual way to adjust the blade exposure . I use ALOT of force when cutting vinyl by hand with the holder . As the blade dulls I add a little pressure to get a new place on the blade cutting the vinyl . The only way I think too much pressure hurts with the right amount of blade exposure is if the vinyl was being pinched too much on the cutting strip & making the grit rollers slip or the vinyl bunch up .

p.s. I have a couple rolls of Oracal 651 that is almost 6 years old & has gotten wet when the house got flooded . I cut the bottom off 1 roll & use the other as they are . No different in cutting IMO .

Another note... If that happens again once you peal the paper wet what is left behind and it will come right off

MM64 B)

Is your advice on taking the transfer tape off the vinyl after installed or removing the vinyl off the backing paper ? I think the OP is talking about taking the vinyl off the backing paper .

It for the backing paper... I had that same problem when I got started and it was a pain to pick that stuff off but when you wet it it comes right off

MM64 B)