somewhere in the past someone said use 1/2 a credit card depth as a guide for setting your blade depth . . . .This is just plain wrong - you want to cut thru vinyl that is just a few mills thick and not go into the backing paper. when properly set you will barely see the blade - take the holder out of the machine and adjust the blade so it just cuts thru the vinyl and not into the backing paper - put the holder back into the cutter and adjust your pressure.  Somehow this myth of 1/2 a credit card just won't die . . . . 

If you use a premium blade make sure to start with too little blade and too little pressure until you get it set.  premium blades have harder tips to make them last longer - this makes them more brittle and will break if you punch thru the paper into the cutting strip - when the blade makes a turn.

This has been a public service announcement.

Edited 12/12/15 to add skeeters instructions and the link to graphtecs instructions in the first post of the thread

From Mz. skeeter and the method used most for accurate blade depth

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

from graphtec on blade depth, offset, etc

http://www.graphteccorp.com/support/appnotes/TNC_004_Accurate_Blade_Setup.pdf

blade depth.jpg

• Like 5

we know this is true, but USCUTTER is using 1/2 credit card in their instructions.  I just read it in  USCUTTER support page.

And they actually use a credit card to show in the pictures.  from USCUTTER support below. 

The “ball-park” length of blade that you’ll want exposed will be equal to half the thickness of a credit card. Hold the blade edge-wise against the side of your credit card. The tip of the blade should end half-way through the thickness of the credit card.

• Like 1

i barely see my blade and it still cuts thru the backing. Any tips on pressure. I have been told start at 12 on the SC cutter but that seems extreme. I have pressure on 2g and it still goes thru the back. What am i doing wrong. I just can't get it adjusted. Help

if your cutting thru the backing you still have too much blade and too much pressure - it really is different for each cutter so don't look at the general rules as being hard facts.  even with firmware changes it has differed on the same machines.

Skeeter, if they are still using that in their instructions it shows they sell and don't cut personally! - heck that is almost too much when I run sandblast resist!  I always believed to sell a product you should be familiar with it . . . every employee should be given a cutter for a couple of weeks (or a big discount on a "returned cutter) and have to return to work with a finished project!  Otherwise it is like an IT person calling for tech support for a computer with no power and the person starts take the computer out of the box, now plug the cord into the back of the computer . . .  . 

I see Paco has it in his also, I would contact him to change it but he hasn't been on here since sept 2012

I have the pressure set to 12 on my SC and it's not cutting through the back.  I would check the blade length, I can barely even feel that mine is sticking out.

i barely see my blade and it still cuts thru the backing. Any tips on pressure. I have been told start at 12 on the SC cutter but that seems extreme. I have pressure on 2g and it still goes thru the back. What am i doing wrong. I just can't get it adjusted. Help

I agree, but starting out, that is the info these new buyers are getting from the seller of the product..So it's no wonder they have problems starting out and come here to the forum.  Yes, I noticed that on Paco's also. 

• Like 1

I use this method;

1. Take blade out of holder
  2. Clean out particulates in holder
  3. Check blade and replace if bad
  4. Bring the blade out of holder a tiny bit and do a test cut by hand on scrap, and adjust accordingly till it just cuts vinyl.
  5. Reinstall the blade into the holder
  6. Run a test cut at the new settings.
  7. Adjust the pressure.
  8. Repeat step 6 thru 8 till you get the cuts to your liking.

On another note i found that getting a couple of other blade holders and setting them up for different vinyl works wonders and saves time (IF you remember to change them out) lol

Hope this helps! ... :wacko:

thank you all for your help. i have set the blade to prs. 12 and the depth - well - i can't see the blade and it is cutting so much better. i was curious how  a higher # ( 12 ) on prs is better than a lower # ( 2 ) . I guess that my logic is not made for the particulars of a cutter.  Thank you again.

yea the half a credit card and 0g pressure on my mh 871 was too much, so i adjusted till it BARELY could be seen, but could still JUST feel it when i dragged it across my finger.

Then i did a test cut and upped the pressure ONLY, until it cut vinyl and could BARELY see the cut pressure on the back of the backing. 

half a credit card IS too much i think. 

but hey do a half a credit card, then do a a quarter turn  backwards on your blade holder, that should put ya atleast pretty darn close.

good deal everyone - pcrat - make sure you don't do that fingure drag if you ever get a cleancut - it will cut you :mellow:

• Like 1

Hoping at least a couple see this thread and use much less blade . . .. 

Noted.....and thanks for posting. I was on the fence about a cheap cutter as a Hobby/Toy till I found these forums. This type of information exchange always helps.

I have the LP2. HOW do you adjust the blade? Are we supposed to push the blade out and screw the gold part to tighten it? I have my pressure at 151+ and its NOT even cutting the HTV! Ive wasted about 2 yards this week trying to cut through the HTV. And YES I have been using my LP2 for almost a year. Ive only ever cut vinyl on it. I made 1 cut using HTV for a shirt for my son and it came out PERFECT! Now that Ineed to cut 40 tote bags. It wont even cut one flippin letter! agrivated beyond belief is not even how I feel right now.

BUMP !! please help! I keep doing test cuts. and I have about 1/2 inch sticking out of the silver blade holder and the pressure on 151 and its NOT cutting the HTV. this is beyond frustrating!

What pressure is everyone using to cut HTV on?

HOW do you adjust the blade?

Theres NO way this much blade should be sticking out and it NOT cut.

You should barely be able to see or feel the blade sticking out. The blade should cut your vinyl and just barely leave an indentation on the backing material. Mz Skeeter will be along shortly to set you straight. If you have your blade sticking out 1/2 inch you have probably destroyed your cutting strip and who knows what else.

I don't have your type of cutter. I imagine it has a adjustment screw and a lock screw. Unscrew the lock screw and adjust your blade depth and then tighten the lock screw. Didn't you get a manual?

Don't try to cut more than a small test square. Don't waste material.

Make sure you blade holder is in correctly make sure its seated right and down in where it should be.  Like Scott said just barley showing...

What side of the HTV are you cutting? If you are cutting the type that has a plastic backing make sure you are not cutting the backing. You should have to mirror your design.

9 out of 10 times this is someone cutting the wrong side like stated above - with solid color cut mirrored on duller side - on printed material you cut not mirrored on printed side and use a transfer material to move it to the garment (each one has its own recommended transfer material)

Ive been in business for over a year. Def cutting on the CORRECT side. I put the Specialty Materials brand in my Sil Cameo and it cut perfectly!

its def something with the blade and pressure settings on the LP2. I even put in a new blade. I checked thee cutting strip and it looks practically brand new.

Do the blades for the vinyl and HTV are different?

45 - 60 ?

I tried reading in the manual and it was saying red, blue, green, black tips. I only have blue and red. And I have even turned off the LP2 and let it reset a few times also.

Best.Tracy,

can you take a pic and upload of how you have your blade housing in your machine. ? It is possible your housing is in the wrong slot. Don't laugh, i have done it. !!!

I have never cut that brand of HTV before. Make sure you slow your cut speed down and increase your force. You may need to increase the amount of blade depending on thickness of material. My old Mh721 could cut Siser easyweed at 120g but someone else with the same machine may have a different setting. The pressure settings vary from machine to machine even within the same model.

I am having trouble cutting different thickness materials. I have set up for thin heat transfer, or sticker vinyl, but am having trouble with Glitter vinyl.  Is there an easy way to go to different thickness of materials? any help is appreciated.

Yeah glitter is a pain. I use a 60 degree blade on it. You will have to go through the whole process of setting your blade for it separate from the other stuff. I keep a second blade holder all set up and just swap it out. 

• Like 2